Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Finskie, a guy you size could easily use the WBBB 1.1 single layer. With dyna glide whoopies Raul Perez has his down to 18.44oz. If used outside of bug season. Leave the tie outs at home for around another ounce savings.

I'm 185 and use a 1.1 single layer traveler and it certainly stretches, but not uncomfortably. I love it. Ill get a single 1.1 WBBB next spring probably.

I know nothing about Tree to tree's hammocks other than hearing on here that they're super comfy. I'd love to give one a try and its deffiently on the list.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i agree if you're going with a blackbird you should go 1.7 single. i am intrigued too by this switchback (and wondering why it's so expensive). also, i'd like to know what "unrigged" means, and what people who have it "rigged" weighs in at.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i just got redbeards 1.9 switchback after his dissatisfaction with tttg's switch to descender rings.

i can say i'm very excited to get this hammock (usps has it as we type) and already have plans to mod it.

i went with the classic 1.9 single. at 5'7'' 155lbs, theoretically i could have gone with the litehiker... but i don't use pads, so the double layer adds nothing but another layer to 'deal' with.... and it weighs 1.7/8 oz more.

i own a wbbb- proud owner- and it's taken me a year to develop enough critiques to have me exploring the switchback. most have been stated in this thread.

the first time i cheated on my blackbird was with a JRB BMBH.
    then i had a rendezvous with a HH ULBP sporting a 2QZQ Mod 4- which stole my heart as far as features- but didn't quite give me that old fashioned feeling like the wbbb. so far the best lay i've found has been in the treklite double i won at the oregon hang...but that doesn't count as its not integrated with bug protection.

quite a few of MY demands seem to coalesce in the switchback- & at a comparable weight and price point. time will tell, and i'll report back after i have it out on the trail. (and more extensively after its modified)

*one concern is the bugnet...the additional lines add a step in setup...we'll see

Regarding "rigged"-- my lightest suspension option is 3.9 oz's and includes 6 ft straps, toggles, 6ft dynaglide whoopies.
    that puts the 1.9 SL switchback at 25.9 oz.s.

warbonnets 14ft webbing and cinch buckles weigh 7.5 oz's. that "rigging" would put the switchback at 29.5 oz-----a 1/4 of an oz. more than
    the comparable weight rating (250 lbs) of the wbbb 1.7 SL.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 07-19-2011 at 02:26.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    *one concern is the bugnet...the additional lines add a step in setup...we'll see
    Add another mod or two to your list...

I changed out the stock long shock cord netting pull outs with short (~8") shock cords with loops at each end. One loop is connected to the netting d-ring via larks head. The other connects to prussics on my tarp CRL via the tiniest S-biners I could get (size 0?). I carry the two stock lengths of orange cord that came with the hammock to attach to the new shock cord for added length if I'm not hanging my tarp (the orange cord weighs nothing).

For holding the netting up out of the way, I cut off the stock ribbons and fashioned a better tie-up out of a small length of shock cord and a couple of cord-locks. (Alan detailed the mod in one of his posts.)
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Add another mod or two to your list...

I changed out the stock long shock cord netting pull outs with short (~8") shock cords with loops at each end. One loop is connected to the netting d-ring via larks head. The other connects to prussics on my tarp CRL via the tiniest S-biners I could get (size 0?). I carry the two stock lengths of orange cord that came with the hammock to attach to the new shock cord for added length if I'm not hanging my tarp (the orange cord weighs nothing).

For holding the netting up out of the way, I cut off the stock ribbons and fashioned a better tie-up out of a small length of shock cord and a couple of cord-locks. (Alan detailed the mod in one of his posts.)
    Hi Shane,
    When you attach your netting to the tarps CRL does the tarp sag when you get into the hammock?

I tried that and found my tarp RL was pulled down 3-5" causing the tarp to flap in the wind. I went back to the supplied
    shockcords, added 2 small Jacks biners and connect it just above the marlinspike on the tree strap.
    This has given me good lift on the netting and my tarp stays tight.
    O&B

Wags,
    Your question about why a SB cost more my guess will be the double zipper, work involved with
    the bug net spreader loops and the reinforcement tape on both sides keeping the edges from flapping.
    But that's just my guess.

EDIT added weight: Just put my 1.9 single SB with whoopies, supplied tree straps, 2 toggles, 2-biners and supplied stuff sack on the scale..
    Complete ready to hang =2.07lbs

wbbb= 1.1double complete 1.87lbs

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-19-2011 at 08:43.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you know if you want to try a WBBB... just ask your welcome to come up my place and try it out

oh yeah i'm on vacation all next week
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Shane,
    When you attach your netting to the tarps CRL does the tarp sag when you get into the hammock?

I tried that and found my tarp RL was pulled down 3-5" causing the tarp to flap in the wind. I went back to the supplied
    shockcords, added 2 small Jacks biners and connect it just above the marlinspike on the tree strap.
    This has given me good lift on the netting and my tarp stays tight.
    O&B
    I haven't had that issue. I use 2.2 zing-it for CRL with prussics for tarp attachment. I pull the line pretty tight.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use 1/16" (or very close, maybe 3/32"?) shock cord and micro cord locks for my netting. I'm trying out a CRL so I might have to try connecting the netting to that with prussiks.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    back to the OP and some of the other user height comments regarding the SBLH: I'm 6' 165lbs and the light hiker is a perfect fit for me. I can lay on my side or stretch out with absolutely no hindrance at all - and that's without using the tie outs...I'm really excited about this hammock set up. Everything is still stock on mine. I'll prolly mess with the shock cord (shorten it) on the bug net tie outs eventually but I don't feel compelled to mess with/modify anything in the short term. That's saying a lot b/c I'm rarely content with anything, I always be messin' with something or another

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    TBH I have decided to simply make my own hammock, incorporating what I like about all hammocks. Already ordered supplies from DIYgearsupply and AHE. If it turns out how i invision, it should be lighter than all but the 1.1 single BB out of the hammocks mentioned in this thread, and have the features I want. I may eventually get a switchback anyway when I decide to blow some money one of theses nights at 2am. Thanks for all the input
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast