Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Senior Member tomsawyer222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ladson SC
    Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    255
    Images
    12
    I have been searching for a solution to the exact same probablem except we hang one hammock over the other so we have to pitch our speer winter tarp so high that it is not effective against wind not to mention the fact that sil nylon will stretch and sag when wet. I will soon be experimenting with a 12 x 16 tarp to see if the coverage is much better because rain can get under the speer winter tarp when pitched high like we had it. My only probablem is finding a tarp that big that is light enough for me to feel like taking it. If anyone has seen anything and has any ideas i would love to hear them.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Doraville, GA
    Posts
    947
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    I have been searching for a solution to the exact same probablem except we hang one hammock over the other so we have to pitch our speer winter tarp so high that it is not effective against wind not to mention the fact that sil nylon will stretch and sag when wet. I will soon be experimenting with a 12 x 16 tarp to see if the coverage is much better because rain can get under the speer winter tarp when pitched high like we had it. My only probablem is finding a tarp that big that is light enough for me to feel like taking it. If anyone has seen anything and has any ideas i would love to hear them.
    To improve the overnight stretch of silnylon tarps you can initially pull the guy lines taut to get some of the initial stretch out and you can add shock cord to the side pullouts to help take up much of the overnight stretch and the stretch due to dampness.

    I understand the problem with wind when you hang one hammock over the other but I would thought you would have good protection against rain with that large of a tarp. Are you getting splatter from hard ground or is the wind blown rain actually getting to the lower hammock?
    Youngblood AT2000

  3. #13
    Senior Member tomsawyer222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ladson SC
    Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    255
    Images
    12
    Well we were getting some inside from each end on our peapods and nothing under us was safe from the rain so our packs got wet and so did the ground under us. The speer winter tarp actually needs to be either longer on the ridgeline or have a much better end closing system as the the snow and ice will also spin drift thru the ends of the tarp as it did last weekend. The cat cuts on the end wings makes it hard to close the ends so nothing can get thru.

  4. #14
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    The cat cuts on the end wings makes it hard to close the ends so nothing can get thru.
    The length of the SWT ridgeline is exactly why I've not bought one yet. I'm currently using a BB BlackCat for my primary tarp.

    This past weekend, I camped through the severe thunderstorms that crossed Alabama and Georgia using my BlackCat and one of the excellent Weather Covers that skskinner makes. I kept most of the splash at bay by pitching the tarp very low, and thanks to the WC, I managed to stay dry in my hammock despite a LOT of blowing rain.

    As a matter of fact, I've found that not only for wet weather, but also for cold, that a cover/sock is almost indespensible. I used one of another design (HC4U's) with my ENO + structural ridgeline for most of this past winter and I've found that it made a tremendous difference in helping to retain heat. Lately, I've been experimenting with a no-ridgeline double-layer hammock and pads, though, so I picked up one of the covers from skskinner for it. That turned out to be a great decision.

    So, if your tarp isn't sufficient, look into a weather cover.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Doraville, GA
    Posts
    947
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    Well we were getting some inside from each end on our peapods and nothing under us was safe from the rain so our packs got wet and so did the ground under us. The speer winter tarp actually needs to be either longer on the ridgeline or have a much better end closing system as the the snow and ice will also spin drift thru the ends of the tarp as it did last weekend. The cat cuts on the end wings makes it hard to close the ends so nothing can get thru.
    You were in some rough conditions. Do you have drip stoppers on your hammock suspension ropes/webbing? Particularly when the leafs are off a lot of water can come down the trunks of the trees and down your hammock suspension lines and if you don't divert that water, a lot of it can get to your hammock.

    Other than what you are thinking of, all that all I can suggest is a more sheltered site. When I am hammocking in the winter I try to find sheltered sites and don't setup in exposed areas like I might with a winter tent. I haven't thought through the particular difficulties one faces when trying to double hang on sloped ground, which is what I sometimes do when I drop down onto the leeward side of the terrain.
    Youngblood AT2000

  6. #16
    Senior Member Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt
    Posts
    159

    Rain

    Ok.. this post concerns me.

    I was going to order a Speers Winter Tarp today but I live in Oregon and rain is a huge issue.

    Anybody else have experience with nysil tarps in downpours?

    Is there a better option?

    And from what I can see, aren't the drip stoppers simply strips of felt pinned to the ridgeline?
    Last edited by Annie; 03-19-2008 at 10:48.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Doraville, GA
    Posts
    947
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    And from what I can see, aren't the drip stoppers simply strips of felt pinned to the ridgeline?
    Not the ridgeline, the hammock suspension line. For webbing, a strip of felt wrapped around the webbing and pinned to it is used for a drip stopper to divert water coming down the webbing.

    Other types of hammock suspension line use different techniques, you can have rope or webbing or a combination. Sometimes a drip sting is tied around rope or a knot in a rope can divert water or a ring is used to wrap rope around to divert water or a ring is used to separate the suspension line to divert water. There are a number of techniques and some work better with specific hammock suspensions.

    This thread started out talking about a tarp for hanging two hammocks side by side, basically under the same tarp or maybe a combination of two overlapping tarps. Then someone else talked about hanging two hammocks with one above the other with a Speer WinterTarp. You have more to cover with two hammocks and there isn't as much experience with that.
    Youngblood AT2000

  8. #18
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    angrysparrow - skskinner wrote that the weather cover is made from DWR - from what you wrote I assume that the dwr used for the weather cover provides adequate protection from rain blown under or around the tarp. Have you noticed any tendency of the dwr to soak through? Or is the blown rain under or around not enough to challenge the dwr? Just curious, but do you think the dwr alone would be adequate for a tarp in light rain - more of a misting than rain - or heavy fog?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The length of the SWT ridgeline is exactly why I've not bought one yet. I'm currently using a BB BlackCat for my primary tarp.

    This past weekend, I camped through the severe thunderstorms that crossed Alabama and Georgia using my BlackCat and one of the excellent Weather Covers that skskinner makes. I kept most of the splash at bay by pitching the tarp very low, and thanks to the WC, I managed to stay dry in my hammock despite a LOT of blowing rain.

    As a matter of fact, I've found that not only for wet weather, but also for cold, that a cover/sock is almost indespensible. I used one of another design (HC4U's) with my ENO + structural ridgeline for most of this past winter and I've found that it made a tremendous difference in helping to retain heat. Lately, I've been experimenting with a no-ridgeline double-layer hammock and pads, though, so I picked up one of the covers from skskinner for it. That turned out to be a great decision.

    So, if your tarp isn't sufficient, look into a weather cover.

  9. #19
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    angrysparrow - skskinner wrote that the weather cover is made from DWR - from what you wrote I assume that the dwr used for the weather cover provides adequate protection from rain blown under or around the tarp. Have you noticed any tendency of the dwr to soak through? Or is the blown rain under or around not enough to challenge the dwr? Just curious, but do you think the dwr alone would be adequate for a tarp in light rain - more of a misting than rain - or heavy fog?
    From what I experienced, it was sufficient to protect from the splash and blown dampness. I did reach up a couple of times and 'thump' the material to clear it of settled drops, though. It did not soak through, although I make a point of using DWR spray on it before packing. I would not rely on it for a tarp, though. Settled or collected dampness it will help with, but not direct falling water.

    edited to add - In the kind of storm that I was in, the tarp provided most of the shelter. I have slowly become very practiced at hanging using good site selection and low tight pitches to provide the maximum protection. If I had been in a more exposed situation, given the severity of the weather, the cover might have proven to be less helpful.

    The weather cover, aside from the additional dampness barrier, helps hold in a lot of warmth. Having a layer of material, even if thin, to create a protected air space makes at least 10 of difference. When emerging from the cover in a cool environment, it is very apparent that it makes a difference.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 03-19-2008 at 17:11. Reason: added last paragraphs
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  10. #20
    Senior Member tomsawyer222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ladson SC
    Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    255
    Images
    12
    Yes i use drip strips on my hammock lines and the other hammock has drip rings that are built in. No water reached my hammock from the suspension just some blown in rain. My hammocks were ok the next day but not as dry as i would like. My major concern is keeping the ground dry too as it helps me with my stove. Also having a sheltered site is not always a guarentee as i will be using this setup for my thru hike. I like hanging in good view spots too that may not be sheltered .......gotta love the view.

    I know that the speer tarp is not perfect but i would not discourage you from getting it annie. I really like speers equipment. His customer service is great also. But maybe in a really rainy state maybe a tarp with less sag Like something from MLD. OR

    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...e988cc91d544c0

    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...cts%20List.htm

    http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index...=28&familyID=2

    http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1

    http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...ters+and+Tarps

    http://www.msrgear.com/tents/vistawing.asp

    http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=63

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging Double
    By Stumblefoot in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 14:30
  2. Double hanging
    By Lazy Lightning in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 03:51
  3. Spreader Bars for Hanging Double
    By Detail Man in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 07:04
  4. Double Hanging Success!
    By Rylan in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 19:33
  5. Offsetting bug net when double hanging.
    By miisterwright in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 03:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •