WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Grand Trunk Ultralight Mods

I recently made a few mods to my Grand Trunk Ultralight. Just to remind people, this is a $20 hammock.
    MODS:
    1. Dynaglide whoopie slings. (double looped in the channel)
    2. Adjustable Dynaglide ridge line.
    3. Cut the bag off, and made a black bishop bag out of it.

Still playing with ways to attach the ridge line. Any suggestions?

To cut the bag off, there is a seam that frees it from the hammock without interfering with the hem on the hammock. I used a seam ripper and carefully ran it up the seam. Pretty simple.

Then I injected a buttonhole on the thread injector, snipped a little hole and ran the head end suspension through the hole.

9.9oz Hammock, suspension, and ridge line. I think Ill use straps with an injected loop, and trail sticks for toggles. (just straps, no biners, or toggles to keep it ultra light)

Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I really like what you did by making a Blackbishop sack!

Setup looks good. Just got one myself and hope to hang it ... fingers crossed! I hope it's long enough for a flat lay for me

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Excellent mod. I used carabiners in the channel instead of line, whoopie slings and tree straps. I like biners-- makes me feel... sexy

Ridge line looks great to me-- if it ain't broke....

Nice job on re-engineering the bag. I have used net stuff sacks to make black bishop bags the same way. I kept the side bag for stowage while in the hammock.

I really like this hammock for a day hiking rig. The cloth is really breathable and nice on a hot day and it takes up very little room. It mods well for an undercover too.

Did I mention I like biners? I do!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP: When your done, would you report on what ridgeline length you find comfortable, and your height and weight?

Very cool, I have been using the same hammock as my first hammock with great success.

Here is my setup, I dumped the OEM S hook and cords in favor of an ascending loop coupled with a continuous loop made out of 7/64 amsteel:

For storage I waned something breathable, I found the perfect solution in a mesh washing bag at Target for about .50 cents. I modified the bottom to accommodate my suspension loop.

My suspension consists of a some tubular webbing (1" or 9/16") along with the proven toggle in a marlin spike hitch. I carry a couple of different size whoppie slings that I made out of 7/64 amsteel. Depending on which set I am using, I either use one of long ones as my ridge line or combine the shorter ones to serve as my ridge line.

I like having the descending loop because it allows me to hang different parts from it without affecting the cord tension that much. It also acts a water barrier / brake should any h2O work its way down the whoppie sling cord.

I weigh in at about 185 lbs and am 5'10", my ridgeline fluctuates between 8-9 feet depending on how I am haning, with the whoppie setup it is very easy to take out the slack or relieve the tension.

You can check out the larger pics in my album: Grand Trunk Ultralight Setup
    Last edited by LeDude; 07-17-2011 at 17:07.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    LeDude,

I appreciate the detailed LePics!

The zipper is nice.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Nice Job! I think this is what I'll do with my son's GrandTrunk. I picked up 2 packages of those washing bags at our target the other day. They were only a buck and 2 in each set...so yes, it's 50 cents each. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them....but knew something would come up, and here it is. I'm not sure if I'll use them for the hammock or the tarp. I was thinking that I may want a more waterproof option for the hammock and it doubling as a waterproof bag while in the hammock....also to help steer water from rain going into the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
    Very cool, I have been using the same hammock as my first hammock with great success.

Here is my setup, I dumped the OEM S hook and cords in favor of an ascending loop coupled with a continuous loop made out of 7/64 amsteel:

For storage I waned something breathable, I found the perfect solution in a mesh washing bag at Target for about .50 cents. I modified the bottom to accommodate my suspension loop.

My suspension consists of a some tubular webbing (1" or 9/16") along with the proven toggle in a marlin spike hitch. I carry a couple of different size whoppie slings that I made out of 7/64 amsteel. Depending on which set I am using, I either use one of long ones as my ridge line or combine the shorter ones to serve as my ridge line.

I like having the descending loop because it allows me to hang different parts from it without affecting the cord tension that much.

I weigh in at about 185 lbs and am 5'10", my ridgeline fluctuates between 8-9 feet depending on how I am haning, with the whoppie setup it is very easy to take out the slack or relief the tension.

You can check out the larger pics in my album: Grand Trunk Ultralight Setup

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Nice Job! I think this is what I'll do with my son's GrandTrunk ... I was thinking that I may want a more waterproof option for the hammock and it doubling as a waterproof bag while in the hammock....also to help steer water from rain going into the hammock.
    I bought about twenty of those little mesh bags, they are very handy to have for backpacking, you can store just about anything in them. I makes for much less clutter in one's back pack / bag.

The other reason I used an ascending ring is that it will break the flow of water along the whoopie sling cord and drip down from there along the long arm hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

After a good nights rest

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    OP: When your done, would you report on what ridgeline length you find comfortable, and your height and weight?
    At the moment its at about 6 feet 10 inches. I am around 165-170 pounds.
    I think Im about 5ft 6in tall. at that length I am able to bend the ridgeline up warbonnet style, which was very comfortable (I fell asleep while on the phone)
    So far I really like the adjustability. I tend to try different lengths, and its really handy to be able to just set it up differently a nice loose feel, or more of a flat feel. its awesome so far. I think my favorite part of this hammock is, I can let my arms and legs out of both sides, all at the same time.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

• + New Posts