Hammock
    WBBB 1.7/ENO Dbl Nest, WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phx UQ/BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    web/whoopies/DCs
    I feel silly for asking this with so many people using Dutch clips with the WBBBs but there is a warning associated with JRB's Dutch clips and just want to make sure it doesn't apply...Warning: "Dutch Clips are not suitable for use on hammocks with a structural ridge line that are designed to be stretched tautly between the trees."

I just got my WBBB today and it has a ridge line built as you probably know... There is supposed to be about 2-4" of play in the RL when setup so I'm thinking that this does not qualify it as taught? Im also wondering if the WBBB's RL is classified as structural. If I had to guess I'd say no but I'm not sure. Obviously people use the DCs withe WBBB's so it's probably safe but would like to make sure the warning is not applicable.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    To answer your question on the dutch clips they will be fine as long as you don't set excessive tension on the ridge line.

As for if the wbbb ridge line is structural or not, i started a thread about this and it appears the jury is still out if it qualifies.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan4756 View Post
    I feel silly for asking this with so many people using Dutch clips with the WBBBs but there is a warning associated with JRB's Dutch clips and just want to make sure it doesn't apply...Warning: "Dutch Clips are not suitable for use on hammocks with a structural ridge line that are designed to be stretched tautly between the trees."

I just got my WBBB today and it has a ridge line built as you probably know... There is supposed to be about 2-4" of play in the RL when setup so I'm thinking that this does not qualify it as taught? Im also wondering if the WBBB's RL is classified as structural. If I had to guess I'd say no but I'm not sure. Obviously people use the DCs withe WBBB's so it's probably safe but would like to make sure the warning is not applicable.
    If I recall seeing a post by Dutch correctly, the reasoning behind that was that folks were stretching their hammocks as tightly as possible to get a "taut" ridgeline and snapping things associated with their suspension (including the ridgelines!) a few years back. Which is why the warning is on there. If you don't over-tension your hammock, it won't be a problem.

Note: I am not associated with Dutch in any manner other than being a fellow member of the boards and a fellow hanger; I've never even met the guy in person. If I'm wrong here (totally possible), I apologize in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7/ENO Dbl Nest, WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phx UQ/BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    web/whoopies/DCs
    That sounds good to me, thx.......It seems to me that the WBBB RL is not structural because for the hammock to function, it does not depend on that RL to be incorporated in the hammock to work when used. Hmmmm bet there's a good counter argument out there. Anyways, good reassurance to not over tighten the RL when using the DC's. Wonder what JRB/Dutch would say....

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Send me your WB 14' adjustable webbing parts, I can loop two together and make a tree strap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    To answer your question on the dutch clips they will be fine as long as you don't set excessive tension on the ridge line.

As for if the wbbb ridge line is structural or not, i started a thread about this and it appears the jury is still out if it qualifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If I recall seeing a post by Dutch correctly, the reasoning behind that was that folks were stretching their hammocks as tightly as possible to get a "taut" ridgeline and snapping things associated with their suspension (including the ridgelines!) a few years back. Which is why the warning is on there. If you don't over-tension your hammock, it won't be a problem.

Note: I am not associated with Dutch in any manner other than being a fellow member of the boards and a fellow hanger; I've never even met the guy in person. If I'm wrong here (totally possible), I apologize in advance.
    You guys are exactly right. As long as you don't put the suspension and ridgeline tight you are fine. If you make everything so tight you can play it like a 1 sting guitar then you are putting stress on every part of the system.

I would call WB's ridgeline structural.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    And don't forget, just send Brandon an email and discuss it with him. He's always answered mine with solutions and information and I'm a mess. Just think what a sensible, well meaning hiker like yourself will get.

Bout the same service, cuzz he treats us all like equals.

Email him about your order and tell him I sent ya.

Maybe I'll get a free cozy or something out of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123