GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Randy,

If your willing.... mail me a HH side zip I'll re-up my comparison video to the WBBB. I'll pay shipping both ways.

Water Monkey plays fair!

uh oh randy! do it do it! raul I enjoyed your last comparision video.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    [1] well, you can thank me for the zipper and double bottom on your hh if you want, they never had options like that before the bb was around.

[2] actually, the "smaller" model hh's "are" comparable in size to the BB's. notice their smaller models (up to 6') have a 100" RL, basically the same as the BB (rated to 6'6"+), and i'm almost positive that the hammock body length is very similar too if i recall. their larger models have a rl of 108" and up, so if you wanted to compare apples to apples you'd actually be comparing similar "sized" hammocks, not similarly "height-rated" hammocks.

[3] comparing the BB to your DJXL is a poor comparison because the DJXL is signifigantly longer (about a foot longer i believe), so when someone makes a comparison between the expedition and the BB, that is a "fair" comparison because they are basically the same size.
    I've inserted the three numbers for reference, and left the rest unchanged.

1) Did DD and Claytor not have double bottom hammocks before Warbonnet? Those are two extant companies currently offering double bottoms; and there may have been others which failed or we are not familiar with. I'd want the answers before attributing originality in this.

2) In months of reading here, I've never before seen the ridge-line length used as a figure of merit for comparing hammock sizes. As though anyone sleeps on the ridge-line, and as though, once the hammock is long enough, the ridgeline length is not arbitrary, a matter of comfort in sizing and convenience in length. That last phrase about convenience referring to where the ridge-line is attached.

Further, I think the dimensions on Hennessey products cited here is almost as cockeyed (or as Hennessey sometimes put it : assymetric*) as in Hennessey's product descriptions. When I turn to their web page, I find smaller hammocks listed as being 100 inches long, one model, the Explorer Ultra at 108", and the Safari at 112". Warbonnets are listed at 120" raw, and is always thought of us as capacious. If the Warbonnet is actually shorter because of loss at the ends, it has been curious to see the 100 inch ridgeline regarded as mathetmatically determined, inasmuch as 100/120 = 5/6 = worshipped ridge-line length.

3) This claim is also news and, I believe, wrong.

I won't take time to utter the familiar pieties. I don't own either of the hammocks on-topic, and don't have on record any disrespect for either. Quite the contrary, following prior reading of and about the designer / manufacturer of the Warbonnet. But this reading of data is at best weird.

*Hennessey sometimes, but not always, lists a diagonal dimension instead of a
    width.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    A little bit more than a year ago, I had the same question. I had almost settled on the Hennessy Deep Jungle XL but in the end went for a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7. I didn't do this because the WBBB got so much praise, but because I compared the features and the WBBB on paper was more what I wanted: it was considerable lighter and somewhat cheaper (probably also because of the missing tarp). I have not been sorry to have made that choice - but had I gone for the Hennessy, I would probably say the same. I'm still curious to try out a DJ or a Safari some day - but due to the weight I would probably not make it my hiking hammock. I even "downgraded" to a WBBB 1.0 after my first bike tour, because I realized that a WBBB 1.7 is overkill for my weight (although I still find it a bit more comfy than the 1.0) and I could save 250g and some space in my panniers.

My advice to you would be to make a list with features you want / that are important to you and pick the model that meets your needs best.

In my case, I wanted a double layer hammock - which ruled out a lot of models right away. I wanted a bug net. I wanted a high weight limit (which wouldn't be a main factor to me now anymore). I wanted to be able to easily hang it. I wanted it to be as light as possible. Although I never tested it, I thought I would prefer a zippered side entry instead of a velcro bottom entry. All this made my decision easy in the end.

According to all the owner reviews and comparisons, I would assume that both HH and WB are more or less equally comfortable, although this is subjective and the only way to find out if one hammock is more comfortable TO YOU is ultimately to try both - and preferably for more than one night, because there is a learning curve.

One reason I might recommend the WB for a beginner is the webbing suspension. You have to really work hard to make any mistakes with the set-up. However, since you already own a hammock, this might not be an issue for you.

I'm pretty sure that you will be happy with whichever hammock you decide to buy in the end. If not - there's always the "For Sale" thread...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So I didn't read through the whole thread because, well I didn't feel like doing so. So get of my back already, sheesh.

But I say the best beginner hammock is one that you make yourself. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. It doesn't need a bug net, foot box, a fancy shelf to hold your fleece lined down booties. All a hammock needs is a peice of fabric to lay on and a suspension to hang it with.

10ft of fabric of your choice. Ripstop nylon, Polyester taffeta, Rhino skin leather, doesn't really matter so long as it can hold your wieght. (Which doesn't neccessarily mean it has to be all that thick either.)

2 Zip ties

2 1in polyester tow straps purchased fromany big box store (Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, K-Mart, Target, Harbor Frieght, etc.)

Gather a short end of the fabruc together in one hand and cinch a zip tie around the bundle an inch or two from the end. Repeat with other end.

Remove the hardware from the tow straps. A hammer works good at this. (This is a great way to get out those frustrations of laying on the hard ground all these years BTW.)

Tie a Fig 8 Follow Through in one end of each of the tow ropes. Use the loop this creates to Larks head the ends of the fabric inside of the zip ties.

Wrap the other ends of the straps around the trunk of trees (approximately 12 - 15 feet apart) at head height and level.

Relax in your new hammock you spent less time making, than I did typing the instructions up.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im confused on the several posts saying which hennessy is shorter or longer of close to the warbonnet size. who is right haha
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Do you people have any idea how difficult you make it to choose a hammock? Tents were sooo easy - size, weight, cost...done.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    But I say the best beginner hammock is one that you make yourself. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. It doesn't need a bug net, foot box, a fancy shelf to hold your fleece lined down booties. All a hammock needs is a peice of fabric to lay on and a suspension to hang it with.

10ft of fabric of your choice.
    I totally agree. My first hammock was 4 yards of ripstop from the walmart bargain bin. I tied a knot in each end and a piece of rope from the knots to the trees. Total cost was less than $25 and no sewing. It helped me discover what sort of features I wanted by quickly and cheaply letting me try different positions by adding tie out points, a ridge line, etc.

I have purchased a HH Woodland Survivor because I liked the Camo for stealth. I have also purchased a WB. I still like my first DIY gathered end hammock, though for sentimental reasons.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    No one is willing to man up on my offer huh? :sadness:
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Its not about Man Up...........at all.......
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    There has been many many comparisons already........
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast