Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am new to this and have yet to own a hammock, but if you look at the number of post in each category WBBB kills everyone else. 99% of the conversations are people saying good things or asking questions because they want one.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Warbonnet.....

don't 2nd guess... just order the WBBB... you will be very happy you did
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The WBBB DBL 1.7 was my first hammock. The Warbonnet Traveler 1.7 single was my second hammock, the WBBB 1.1 DBL was my third hammock. I love Warbonnet for every and any possible reason. IMHO go for the WBBB. It's might comfy.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    +1 Here on the BB! I have both a HH Exped and a WBBB 1.1 dbl.

WBBB all the way. Hands down for me.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A WBBB 1.7 Double Layer just sold on ebay for more than the price of a new one. And the buyer payed shipping.

So, the bubble is widespread beyond HF.

And OP didn't even stipulate that he was large or heavy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I've had both HH and WBBB. I got the HH first and then migrated to the blackbird (heh).

I have to say that both are darned fine hammocks but I just like my WBBB better. It's softer, has a more comfortable lay, and I really like that shelf and foot box design. Tarps you can always monkey with to fit whatever hammock you buy.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either make. Both have their strengths. Enjoy!
    WBBB 1.1 (Coyote Brown)
    SuperFly Tarp / MacCat Deluxe Tarp (Coyote Brown)
    TQ: Warbonnet 3 Season
    UQ: HammockGear 3 Season Incubator
    Mystery Ranch Kodiak or SweetPea / Gregory Z55

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Started off by accumulating 3 hennessys. Now they're sold and I have 3 warbonnets, 2 of which are blackbirds. They're both similar, but the blackbird has features and is a nice large, but not too large size. I liked my expedetion, but it weighed more than my blackbird for less comfort.

I don't believe there should be a "beginner" hammock. Just use what's comfortable unless price is a major issue. In that case you might as well save for what you want because you'll get it sooner than later in most cases.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David904 View Post
    I've had both HH and WBBB. I got the HH first and then migrated to the blackbird (heh).

I have to say that both are darned fine hammocks but I just like my WBBB better. It's softer, has a more comfortable lay, and I really like that shelf and foot box design. Tarps you can always monkey with to fit whatever hammock you buy.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either make. Both have their strengths. Enjoy!
    +1 for me on this.

I started with a HH Desert Rat with a bottom entrance. I could never get comfortable or sleep on my right side. That tan bug net made me feel claustrophobic.

If I was to do a HH again, I'd get one with side zippers and a black bug net. However, I bought a WBBB 1.7 double a year ago and absolutely love it and can sleep on both sides. I just bought a WBBB 1.1 single to save a pound while backpacking.

My money in on the WB. Good luck with your decision.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    How many of you folks that switched from HH to WBB switched from a zip model DJXL, Safari or Explorer Deluxe?

OP, don't let any of the WBB groupies tell you a WBB has to be your next hammock. Try a few different brands side by side and choose for yourself. Go to a group hang in your area and try out some different set-ups before you buy. If you can't do that or there isn't a group hang in your area, I'd be willing to send you my DJXL to try out if you pay shipping. Maybe somebody with a WBB would be willing to do the same so that you can try both before you buy. Good luck in your search and I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to buy! PM me if you'd like to take me up on my offer, no kidding.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by thejennabird View Post
    Hey Johnny, I'm a new hanger too! While I'm currently working on my first DIY hammock, here were some things that pushed me to favor the WBBB over the HH.

- Comfort. From everything I've read, the footbox in the BB is a great addition and makes this hammock more comfortable than the HH. While the HH is roomy and can be nice, the BB footbox tops it and allows for both more room and more sleeping positions.

Nope, Brandon himself has said that the footbox doesn't change the lie. If you've ever laid in a WBB and another hammock you will see that you get just a little more width but not much. That's really the only difference.

- Features. The WBBB has a "traditional" hammock entrance on the side versus the HH "womb entrance". (Not sure where I heard that one, but I liked the metaphor). Furthermore, the standard BB comes with a zippered entrance, while most HHs are Velcro. I spoke to a Speer owner on the AT who told me that his biggest gripe was the how fussy velcro can be. Yes, I know zippers can break and are harder to fix, but on a daily basis they're much less hassle IMHO.

Nope, most HH's have zip entries now. If anything is "traditional" it would be the bottom entrance on the HH, they came waaay before the WBB.

I like the concept of the DL Blackbird because I'm a pad-sleeper who will need to go to ground at times. That second layer holds the pad and keeps it "tucked away". HH are all single layer (I believe) and therefore your pad's gotta go inside the hammock. Both are conducive to underquilts though.

Partly wrong, the DJXL is a double layer hammock. That is the only double layer hammock in HH's line-up at this point, though.

And who can forget the pocket on the WBBB?! It's a great little feature that gets stuff off of your ridgeline. Some don't like it because they don't use it (hence extra weight), or it lays against the side of the hammock, so if you don't like the idea of the pocket, the HH might be a better option.

-Manufacturing. The HH is manufactured overseas I believe, while the BB is manufactured by hand here in the US by a HF member.

You are correct here but I challenge you to find a difference in quality.

- Suspension. You get different suspension options with the Blackbird, and - from what I've read - it's easier to convert a BB to a whoopie-sling system than it is to convert a HH. Plus the Blackbird seems to have a pretty downright simple setup on its own!

You are correct, partly. Yes, you get different suspension options with a WBB and yes, it's easier to convert a WBB to WS's. It's not hard by any means to convert a HH, though. The HH has one of, if not the most simple suspension system out there.

However, here are some points for the Hennessy:
    - Weight. The featherlite weight of the HH includes a tarp! If you're really counting ounces, the HH is slimmer than the WBBB.

Kinda, it depends on the model. My DJXL is heavy compared to a WBB. The HH, depending ont he model, is slimmer but longer.

- Cost. The cost of the HH includes a basic asym tarp, whereas you'll chuck out another $80+ for a tarp for the blackbird. However, I don't like the small size of the HH tarp (I've seen it in action) and as a beginner I want a little bit of room for error so that, if a sudden downpour came, I'm not learning on the spot how poor my tarp-pitching skills are. =P

You can always ask for just the hammock and not the tarp. You get a cheaper price this way as well. That leaves you some extra cash to get the better tarp. Also, you can switch the stock tarp for the PU coated Hex tarp for free if you want, on most models.

-Availability. You can get a HH pretty quickly from REI or similar manufacture, while you may be waiting a few weeks or more to get your Blackbird. So if you want a hammock ASAP, you're only option may be the HH (unless you snag that used BB on the Sale forum right now)

There is a WBB for sale in the for sale section of the forum all the time, just wait and pull the trigger right away or you'll miss it! There are more hammocks out there than just WBB and HH, btw.

Hope this helps!
    I honestly wouldn't take advice from somebody who has just "read" about this stuff. Take advice from all the people here who have actually experienced it. Better yet, experience it for yourself. This wasn't meant to "flame" theJennaBird, I'm just saying that reading about something and experiencing it is a whole different ballgame.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast