A few old fat guy questions about a thruhike with a bridge hammock

I am planning on running away to the forest for the summer to the Appalachian Trail , but as the title says I am a fat man, agile, limber, well balanced, but fat 54" waist, 330 lbs. I sleep on my stomach and although I slept in a hammock for several months as a teen, I didn't think I could do it again as an old man, until I read about bridge hammocks.
    Can anyone recommend a hammock manufacturer that can build one to accompany my size ?
    I'd really like to stay off the ground if possible, I have been steadily losing weight the past few months, my start date isn't until early April so I know I'll be down a few more. is this doable or should I look for a tent to start with?
    Any info or advice will be very appreciated ! Thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    opie is the guy to talk to, but I'm not sure if he has the time.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ridge-Hammocks

Thank you, I'll check with him.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I haven't explored the world of bridge hammocks for a few years so my information may be out of date. Back when I was playing with them they were not really suitable for big, hefty, fat (whatever description you like best) folks. The issue was not supporting the weight, it was the geometry. Lots of people complain about "shoulder squeeze" in a bridge. It actually was not shoulder squeeze as much as it was the way the fabric wrapped around. The wider the person, the worse the sensation. Big guys were asking for a bigger bridge hammock but the geometry and physical stress on the spreader bars made that technologically very difficult. Maybe that problem has been resolved. I don't know. I would encourage you to find a group hang and check out what is out there. You might find the proper lie in a gathered end would be comfortable for you. Or you might find the bridge hammock is good for you. Texas has a pretty active community if I remember correctly. You should be able to find a hang or a neighbor who can help you out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    This one might work. From the pictures and the description it looks like it has a wider lay. But - pretty heavy for long distance hiking.
    http://www.amokequipment.com
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    How tall are you? The Amok is a bit tricky getting into and out of if you are not very tall, and I would not recommend it for your weight. Also, as Passinthru said, it is heavy for backpacking, and then add the pad. You would need an insulated pad to keep warm and it would need to be at least 2.5" thick to form the structure for the hammock. Have you tried a gathered end hammock? You may find that you really like it, as lots of folks who normally sleep on their stomachs in a bed, sleep differently in a hammock. Find someone in your area that you can get with to try one out. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Thank you all for the responses, I will look into some of the gathered end hammocks, Maybe sheer exhaustion would help me sleep in one.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Zilla has the biggest bridge hammock I know of. He's bigger than you. I was lucky enough to try it out but still felt pressure on the shoulders for the reasons mentioned above.

I am very comfortable in a 12' gathered end.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts