DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Diy down pod/DD UQ
    Suspension
    DD whoopie
    Images

Hammock for Pod-People

hang.jpgHi
    I´m very much into the Pod style of insulation and was wondering if there are any hammocks that are better suited for this than others?
    At the moment I´m using a tttm single hammock which i really like and trust.
    Whilst testing on my balcony i happened to try hangin with very little sag and thought it to be very comfortable although it does compress the shoulders a bit, is this the way to go? As its not really possible to do the whole diagonal lay when using a sleepingbag DIY Pod.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Mine is the one on the right, to the left is Simms4ic and his DIY UQ and TQ a.k.a "The Watermelon".
    Last edited by Krozak; 02-02-2015 at 08:43.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I have a DIY pod system. I went as cheap as possible when designing it, so I used an equip travel hammock from Wal-mart. If I had to do it again, I would get one of the dutchware hammock blanks in NylonD. My pod system works great for insulation, but you cannot lay diagonal very well. I just lay on the curve and put my coat under my knees for support.

Hammock
    Tttm single
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Diy down pod/DD UQ
    Suspension
    DD whoopie
    Images
    I have never tried putting something under the knees, does it do anything specific?

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    For me the problem with a straight lay along the curve of a hammock is that it puts pressure on my knees. This is one of the reasons why one would seek to have a flat lay. Putting something under my knees allows me to keep them slightly bent while laying in the hammock and takes pressure off. I sleep just fine this way without having a diagonal lay. Then you won't find the need to hang your hammock so tight.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krozak View Post
    I´m very much into the Pod style of insulation and was wondering if there are any hammocks that are better suited for this than others?
    Yes. For a pod, short and narrow is better than long and wide. I have used my semi-rec sleeping bag pod-style with a TTTM single hammock and it worked alright. But I always had more of an opening at the ends than I would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Krozak View Post
    Whilst testing on my balcony i happened to try hangin with very little sag and thought it to be very comfortable although it does compress the shoulders a bit, is this the way to go? As its not really possible to do the whole diagonal lay when using a sleepingbag DIY Pod.
    Any thoughts on this?
    If it works for you, great. As you said, with a pod you are not able to go diagonal a lot, unless your pod is huge.

If you are happy with your hammock, why are you looking for other hammocks? Just curiosity?

BillyBob58 is a pod user and has said that the Claytor no-net hammock works well for him. I believe he has the 3m-version. The 2.5m no-net would be even better suited for a pod if you are comfortable with that length. Other hammocks that might work well with a pod is the DD SuperLight Hammock, the DD Camping Hammock or the DD Scout Hammock. All those hammocks are nothing special - just simple gathered end hammocks. You could easily make one yourself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yes. For a pod, short and narrow is better than long and wide. I have used my semi-rec sleeping bag pod-style with a TTTM single hammock and it worked alright. But I always had more of an opening at the ends than I would have liked.

If it works for you, great. As you said, with a pod you are not able to go diagonal a lot, unless your pod is huge.

If you are happy with your hammock, why are you looking for other hammocks? Just curiosity?

BillyBob58 is a pod user and has said that the Claytor no-net hammock works well for him. I believe he has the 3m-version. The 2.5m no-net would be even better suited for a pod if you are comfortable with that length. Other hammocks that might work well with a pod is the DD SuperLight Hammock, the DD Camping Hammock or the DD Scout Hammock. All those hammocks are nothing special - just simple gathered end hammocks. You could easily make one yourself.
    +1 all of that. Keep in mnd I have no experience with sleeping bag to pod conversions, but only with an actual Speer Pea Pod. Which has a 6 ft girth in the middle, tapers to about 3 ft of girth(wide) on the ends, and is 9+ ft long. Though some people have, I have never had any issues whatsoever with a diagonal lay, at least any kind of normal for me diagonal, and I am 6'1". The only exception is if I get into fetal position and then try to lay at an extreme diagonal, way more than I normally do in any hammock with or without a pod. Then I don't have enough room. But any normal(for me) back, side or fetal with diagonal, zero problems. But if your pod is less than the above dimensions, then it is hard to say whether you can go diagonal enough or not. I think Shug says he can, using a WM bag. Just remember: the wider/deeper your hammock, or the narrower your pod, the more the top of the bag will be lifted up off of your torso by the edges of the hammock. If you are planning on using other clothing or TQs to fill the gap, for the purpose of say using a 20F pod/bag at 10F or even way lower, then no problem the gap is irrelevant. If you are using the pod by itself, then a big gap will make your 20F bag/pod into something way less warm on top, maybe 40F or 50F. So there is something to be said for going with a lighter pod and just filling it as needed. With the pod serving mainly as the means of defeating drafts.
    However, with a more narrow and shallow hammock like a Claytor, the top pod layer will be lifted much less, maybe even able to drape right down into contact with some or all of your body, and will come much closer to reaching it's normal rating, and be less likely to need much added to fill the gaps. Also, a shorter hammock is going to allow the pod to cinch down closer to- or even over- the end knot, giving a more draft proof "seal" on the end. Good luck, have fun experimenting!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I saw in a posting on here somewhere about a bag extender that Shug uses. You may want to google it. According to Shug it adds width to the bag to make it more comfortable and more room to get diagonal. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Tttm single
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Diy down pod/DD UQ
    Suspension
    DD whoopie
    Images
    Hey
    Thanks for the replies.
    About the hammock i have no real thoughts about changing it was more of an observation that the hammock sticks out on either side of the "pod" and I had a theory that the cold would creep down the hammock material and make me cold. The bag I´m using has no zippers, its just a big sock, i have a post on my making of a pod.
    I did sleep in it 2 weeks ago with another down bag inside and it got down to -10*C at night, I was only cold right on my buttocks, slipped a seatpad under no problems, in the morning i noticed that the pod sags under my butt and that caused the cold spot. Pulled it tighter and slept for another hour before we had breakfast.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I like a shorter hammock with my peapod, so the ends of the pod go over the end of he hammock, and keep me toasty warm. I have a Speer hammock with a snugfit UQ, and when it is real cold, I put the Polar Pod over all that and add my 50* HG TQ. Snug and warm as a bug in a rug.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I like a shorter hammock with my peapod, so the ends of the pod go over the end of he hammock, and keep me toasty warm. I have a Speer hammock with a snugfit UQ, and when it is real cold, I put the Polar Pod over all that and add my 50* HG TQ. Snug and warm as a bug in a rug.
    I bet I would burst into flames with that combo much above zero! Well, maybe not: most of that big boost is the Snugfit below between pod and butt/back. On the top, that is about what I had added, a 50F or possibly 40F 30 years old synthetic liner bag as TQ. At 10F, and wearing some warm clothing, I was merely warm enough with the pod virtually closed, not burning up. But, all I added below was a space blanket. And this was all in a 20F Speer Pea Pod, not a Polar Pod. But I am not sure the Polar Pod is actually any warmer than the Pea Pod, though it is rated 10 warmer. I know it is bigger and makes for more room to add stuff and makes it easier to close over the ends. Also, being larger, it might not have as big of a top gap when lifted by the hammock edges, and might drape down on me better, which would be warmer on top even with the same loft. I know it has more down, but it also has even more volume that down must fill.

What do you think, Cali, is the Polar warmer than the Pea, used by itself? So does it actually have more loft? If not more loft, but it is warmer, do you think it is warmer because of the reasons stated above?

• + New Posts