Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks TR42, as usual I probably jumped the gun. I just looked at all the responses to the Water filter thread in the Kitchen section. Most of the responses there were really recommending the Sawyer Squeeze Filter. Did you look at that one too? I really like the looks of the Platypus system, although it is certianly heavier and would be a little more bulky. Moooooore gear!!!!

I can't remember what the rest of you used last year. I know that Walking Bear used the Base Camp System, but I don't want to pack that much. Anyone have a "tried and true" system you really trust and like? I definitely trust the research done by TR42, and I don't know if TZQ even drinks water. I know O&B and food have done more hiking/backpacking than I will probably ever do, so I appreciate any suggestions.
    Last edited by waddy; 04-30-2012 at 14:04. Reason: Add last paragraph
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Thanks TR42, as usual I probably jumped the gun. I just looked at all the responses to the Water filter thread in the Kitchen section. Most of the responses there were really recommending the Sawyer Squeeze Filter. Did you look at that one too? I really like the looks of the Platypus system, although it is certianly heavier and would be a little more bulky. Moooooore gear!!!!

I can't remember what the rest of you used last year. I know that Walking Bear used the Base Camp System, but I don't want to pack that much. Anyone have a "tried and true" system you really trust and like? I definitely trust the research done by TR42, and I don't know if TZQ even drinks water. I know O&B and food have done more hiking/backpacking than I will probably ever do, so I appreciate any suggestions.
    I'm a big fan of the sawyer products( DIY Gravity or inline filters) with tablets as a backup.
    Not sure about the sawyer squeeze bag. PappaSmurf reported he dropped a full one and it split becoming useless.
    The sawyer inline filter can be adapted to just about any bottle or bladder.

http://www.sawyer.com/

Currently I'm using 2 Geigerrig 2 L bladders with inline filter. I don't think they are worth retail price but you can find them on sale for 50% off every now and then.

http://www.geigerrig.com/

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-30-2012 at 15:47.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    waddy, you didn't jump the gun.

I've been using a SteriPen since 2007 and have yet to have a failure. I've used it to drink from the swamps in Florida, all the way up the AT, and all over Colorado. I don't even think I can count high enough to tell you the number of uses it has seen. I did carry a back-up pump filter through NY/NJ and did have to pull from a mud-puddle with the filter a couple of times. However, on the Colorado water, you will be thrilled with its abilities. Marvelous piece of gear IMO.

Plus, you get to sit back and sip on your water while other folks are waiting for chemicals to kick-in, or drips to add-up.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Cannible, was battery life adequate? It sure seems like a nice piece of gear. Of course the way things are shaping up this year, we may just be drinking dust while we watch the forest fires.

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I'm a big fan of the sawyer products( DIY Gravity or inline filters) with tablets as a backup.
    Not sure about the sawyer squeeze bag. PappaSmurf reported he dropped a full one and it split becoming useless.
    The sawyer inline filter can be adapted to just about any bottle or bladder.

http://www.sawyer.com/

Currently I'm using 2 Geigerrig 2 L bladders with inline filter. I don't think they are worth retail price but you can find them on sale for 50% off every now and then.
    http://www.geigerrig.com/

hth
    Those Geigerrig bladders are a little pricey! Do you have a rough idea what your filter, tubes and the two bladders weigh? Knowing you, I'll bet not much.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    food, I just had a thought that this conversation may be straying a little too far afield for the planning thread? If so, just let me know and I'll start another thread (I'm sure enjoying visiting with everyone though ).

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    waddy,
    I have the Steripen AA version and it has definitely been tempermental with the light coming on at times and refusing to come on at others, even after having the first one replaced. Didn't make me feel covered. I also have the Sawyer Squeeze Filter ( at 3-4 oz.) and like it. Some have mentioned problems with the bag splitting, but I just use a dedicated Smartwater bottle for the "dirty" water side. Seems like all of these systems require a good deal of TRUST. Is the Steripen UV light really zapping them bugs? Is the Sawyer or any other filter actually functioning as claimed. Guess if we are still walking then we're good!
    What I used last year? Walking Bear's generosity with his gravity filter at one campsite and mostly rainwater caught from my tarp during each night.
    Very happy that you are going to make it after all. Looking forward to seeing you ...
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    food,
    Was that an imposter last year or YOU who wasn't going to purchase a cuben tarp?
    BTW, my cuben tarp purchase didn't help me fit in with the "kool kids", but I'm rooting for you. TZQ
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cannible, was battery life adequate? It sure seems like a nice piece of gear. Of course the way things are shaping up this year, we may just be drinking dust while we watch the forest fires.
    Mine is the "Classic" model; runs on AAs so to be able to trade-out, if needed, with headlamp at the time and camera. In the 6.5 months I spent on the AT, I think I changed the batteries 4 or 5 times. It was my primary, and often times, only treatment option. I'm a water-hog, so you can imagine it was heavily used daily.

Taozenqi raises a valid point though, they all depend on a certain amount of trust. If I had had problems with mine, I might not trust it either. I know there were a couple of models that had issues in 08' & 09', but mine is golden.

But, this trip is a good one to test your trust with it since there will be plenty of other folks around to help you out if you got a lemon. Good to hang around folks with gear addiction problems.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Those Geigerrig bladders are a little pricey! Do you have a rough idea what your filter, tubes and the two bladders weigh? Knowing you, I'll bet not much.
    Just for comparisons sake, my katadyn system weighs 13.9oz and the Gravity Works system weighs 12.7oz.

I have a hike coming up next week with TZQ in Ruidoso I'm going to try it on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast