Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Why does the ultra-light spec. bigger

I am a backpacker and I'm comparing the Expedition and the ultra-light, the specs. claim the UL to be bigger under the rain fly but it does not make sense the UL should be the smaller one.
    Is this right or did someone at HH enter it wrong for the web site.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I am a backpacker and I'm comparing the Expedition and the ultra-light, the specs. claim the UL to be bigger under the rain fly but it does not make sense the UL should be the smaller one.
    Is this right or did someone at HH enter it wrong for the web site.
    its a lighter material. my ulta-light and explorer are the same size. i think?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Weight is not the biggest deal to me but I am using it for backpacking, so what are the big advantages to the exp. over the UL
    Last edited by bmwrider; 07-17-2011 at 23:41.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    The UL uses lighter Materials. I believe the Weight ratings are lower as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Weight is not the biggest deal to me but I am using it for backpacking, so what are the big advantages to the exp. over the UL

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you are comparing the Expedition to the Explorer UL, (the only HH with UL in it's actual name so that's what I am guessing you are looking at), then you are looking at a Chevrolet vs a Cadillac.

Both will do the job but one may be a smoother more comfortable ride. The differences between the hammocks include the type of fabric used and actual size. The ExplUL is both longer and wider than the Expedition which for most folks equates to a more comfortable lie. Even at that the Explorer UL weighs less than the Expedition.

I'm 6'4", and just spent 7 days in my Explorer UL. It was absolutely perfect. It packs down to nothing, weighs nothing(almost), and was extremely comfortable. (I'm considering hanging it in the house!) I can't imagine going with anything smaller, and heavier, even if I wasn't taller than average.

I wasn't on a backpacking trip, but my hammock, tarp, and sleeping bag combined weighed in at less than 5 pounds, and all of that plus a Themarest pad, and a jetboil all fit into, or attached easily to my daypack(Triple Aught Design's Litespeed) even with a few extras and a 100 oz camelback bladder, was very comfortable to carry. I can only imagine how great it would all fit into a larger pack.

HV

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I, also, own a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. I decided to go with it over the regular Expedition due to:

• Weight
    • Weight Limit and Size (I'm 6' and ~195#, so I'm right at the edge of what the Expedition is rated for; since I believe in having sleeping gear that won't fail on me in the crunch, this seemed a good middle choice between the Jungle XL's weight and size limit and the Expedition's weight).
    • Ease of purchase. Since Hennessy included a tarp (and, for that matter, the huge PU-coated nylon hex tarp upgrade for free), I didn't have to go tarp shopping.

The things that I've found that I want to upgrade:

• The suspension. The Hennessy lashing system is simple and reliable, yes. However, it takes forever to adjust properly and the tree huggers included with the hammock are not large enough for many of the trees near me. I'm considering going to an adjustable strap suspension over whoopies (again, for the KISS principle; I don't mind hauling a few extra ounces if it's going to simplify things and make it more reliable) in the next few weeks.
    • Gear storage. I either need to carry an extra pack cover (unnecessary right now due to my poncho and the way in which I carry my hammock and tarp) as a gear hammock or pack cover for when I hang the thing at night or hang dry bags from some extra cord that I usually bring along. So, I think I might get the 2QZQ gear bag sometime soon.

Other than that, I'm about as happy as can be with it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Cool thanks folks for the help, I think I will go with the exp. UL

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    yea thats what I was confused about at first. because the explorer UL is long than the expedition. but its the same size as the exp deluxe
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Ok to be clear I was talking about the Ultralite Backpacker Asym, compared to the Expedition Asym, just so I'm clear on the models. names can confuse.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast