Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    York, Pa
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Posts
    146

    Ricketts Glen, Pa

    My wife and I hiked the 3.6 mile loop on a beautiful day on the 9th of July. Little if any humidity, and high temps in the low 80s with hardly a cloud in the sky (what more could you ask for?) Twenty years ago my wife and I went out on our first date and I was looking for a place we could get way for the weekend. For a weekend getaway Ricketts Glen will not be a disappointment it was just amazing. We arrived at the trailhead at 9:00 am to find only three other cars in the parking lot. The only real drawback to this hike is it didnít stay that way, by the time we left it was full and there were lots of people on the trail. I recommend going early (by 11:00 am there were people everywhere), for the first hour and a half it was like we had the park to ourselves. We didnít camp on this trip but the park would make a fine base camp to hike some of the lesser used circuit trails.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Posts
    174
    Images
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    We arrived at the trailhead at 9:00 am to find only three other cars in the parking lot. The only real drawback to this hike is it didnít stay that way...

    Nice pics Gris. The spousal unit and I love RG! Glad to hear you had the trail to yourself for at least a litttle while. It's nice to be able to sit in the water and not be skeeved out by the thought of the 40 people up stream who probably just peed in the water that is now flowing around you. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers,
    Mickey

  3. #3
    Senior Member mangus7175's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    Borah Gear Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Posts
    588
    That first attached picture is desktop wallpaper material for sure...thanks for sharing.


  4. #4
    yooz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nescopeck, PA
    Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    631
    i go up there at least once a week, i love it there its a good little hike if you hike from 118 and go all the way around the loop i believe its 7.1 miles. i dont think ill ever get tired of that place. thank for the report!
    Last edited by yooz85; 07-18-2011 at 17:18.

  5. #5
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,597
    Images
    7
    Can't beat a nice waterfall. Looks like a nice spot
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    ďThe measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.Ē ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  6. #6
    2Questions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Posts
    2,707
    Images
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    My wife and I hiked the 3.6 mile loop on a beautiful day on the 9th of July. Little if any humidity, and high temps in the low 80s with hardly a cloud in the sky (what more could you ask for?) Twenty years ago my wife and I went out on our first date and I was looking for a place we could get way for the weekend. For a weekend getaway Ricketts Glen will not be a disappointment it was just amazing. We arrived at the trailhead at 9:00 am to find only three other cars in the parking lot. The only real drawback to this hike is it didnít stay that way, by the time we left it was full and there were lots of people on the trail. I recommend going early (by 11:00 am there were people everywhere), for the first hour and a half it was like we had the park to ourselves. We didnít camp on this trip but the park would make a fine base camp to hike some of the lesser used circuit trails.
    One of my favorite short hikes, especially with camera in hand. You're right about the crowds, and did you notice anyone with high heels! I remember crossing paths with an older couple who could barely walk and they were all the way down at "Waters Meet"...How in the world did they get there! Amazing.
    Here's one of my favorite shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

  7. #7
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,347
    Images
    7

    nice report. nice place.

    just for info Ricketts Glen is Very Hammock friendly
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...24&postcount=8
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    York, Pa
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    That first attached picture is desktop wallpaper material for sure...thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for the comment, I took over 60 pictures that day and this one is my favorite. There are 22 water falls on the loop, some much taller and wider but there is something about the picture of this one this one I really like.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    York, Pa
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    One of my favorite short hikes, especially with camera in hand. You're right about the crowds, and did you notice anyone with high heels! I remember crossing paths with an older couple who could barely walk and they were all the way down at "Waters Meet"...How in the world did they get there! Amazing.
    Here's one of my favorite shots.
    I didnít see anyone in high heels, but I think every other demographic none to the marketing world was represented in the four plus hours it took us to hike the loop

  10. #10
    Senior Member Poppabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Posts
    2,643
    Gris, Those are some mighty fine pictures!
    Terry

Similar Threads

  1. Ricketts Glen, PA - 22 Waterfalls
    By Ratdog in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 15:42
  2. Ricketts Glenn, Pa
    By kayak karl in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 09:31
  3. Great Glen Way
    By Sparticus in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 11:00
  4. Watkins Glen
    By pedro in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 10:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •