Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Just an update, the Marion county sheriff's office called me yesterday, the lieutenant there wanted to let me know that they went to the house that the owner of the vehicle they found at St. Pat's Trailhead, was registered to. The man invited the detective in, and the detective saw several rifles, along with semi to full auto kits. He arrested the man after he showed the detective an AK-47 with the kit installed. Not very smart. I gotta go today and identify him as one of the people at the pond.
    Stupid is as stupid does I guess. Please seek to have additional charges of reckless endangerment or something.

It's kind of odd I guess that I am an excellent marksman who usually qualified expert when shooting rifles in the military, always qualified first round with the handgun and yet I never consider taking a gun with me into the woods. I've never entertained the idea that a gun is what makes you safe. Awareness of your surroundings and a clear thought process will serve you better than a gun nearly every time.

On a side note- I'm really glad you got out of there safely LilRicky.

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Stupid is as stupid does I guess. Please seek to have additional charges of reckless endangerment or something.

It's kind of odd I guess that I am an excellent marksman who usually qualified expert when shooting rifles in the military, always qualified first round with the handgun and yet I never consider taking a gun with me into the woods. I've never entertained the idea that a gun is what makes you safe. Awareness of your surroundings and a clear thought process will serve you better than a gun nearly every time.

On a side note- I'm really glad you got out of there safely LilRicky.
    Not trying to start something, but maybe unintentionally it sounded like you were saying the original poster should have been more aware of his surroundings here? It was somehow his fault? The best gun in the best hands is no good left home. IMHO but I do appreciate others right to feel differently. Peace

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think that's what she's saying. Besides, he didn't take the guns. It was the guys that showed up after the fact.

I'd take a gun hiking if I could find a way to easily carry a Dillon M134 minigun with enough ammo to make it worthwhile.

JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I don't think that's what she's saying. Besides, he didn't take the guns. It was the guys that showed up after the fact.

I'd take a gun hiking if I could find a way to easily carry a Dillon M134 minigun with enough ammo to make it worthwhile.

lol. I am sure I read it wrong.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    I did not mean that at all! I just meant that as someone who does know my way around a gun (better than most, perhaps) that in my mind it is always tool of very last resort.

LilRicky acted very responsibly. He thought clearly enough to be able to give the police enough info to follow up and catch this menace.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm going to close this thread, since it has veered from trip report in to general conversation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345