Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    But here you are trying to sell to an audience that's pretty hammock savvy, and the devil's in the details. And I'm not sure you've sold it yet.
    I concur. You keep quoting quality of material and designed by so and so. I don't know if you realize how many members here are DIYers. They are perfectly happy with homemade equipment. Yes your hammock made be made of higher quality materials, but as someone said, if I am hanging 2 feet off the ground, do I need a super indestructible material at a higher cost? In my opinion, the answer is no.

You are trying to break into a well established market, with lots of well made hammocks, and you are charging more than or equal to the established companies. I would think that you would make your initial offering at a substantially reduced price. If your hammocks are what you say they are, word of mouth will quickly spread throughout the hammock community. Like the company overseas that offered free hammocks to the first 50 people that responded. That is the way to start off a marketing campaign.

I'm not suggesting you give hammocks away, I'm just suggesting that you look at your initial offerings. Would it not be better to lose money on the first few and quickly gain a foothold in the market than to make a small initial impact and then try to build a following?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Sorry for being late to the game. I read the previous of comments and have to agree.

I checked out Kammocks before this thread started and it like the Eno double, but with a slightly different material and double the price tag.

If Kammock doesn't bring anything ground breaking to the hammock world I'm about as interested in it as I am Eno, which is not at all But I'd still buy an Eno first for the price.

If I were to try and launch a product and bring it here, to HF.net, I would offer something new to the hammock world (new material is only cool if it's a whole new kind of lightweight, like lighter than an Nano 7) I would give 20-40 of them away for free to get folks to vouch on it, and I'd make sure I was ready for an onslaught of proving myself through the gauntlet that is HF.net lol

And a Shug video eh? A lot of folks will be equally mad at Shug as they are at you, if they buy this hammock and there's no reason that they can see that makes it worth paying double what an Eno would cost.
    Last edited by R00K; 07-19-2011 at 07:01.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Remember to be respectful, and that includes being respectful of new businesses that are trying to join our community. Let's keep comments relevant to the products themselves, and refrain from being overly critical of business practices and strategies, at the very least until some track record has been established. Some comments above are coming through a bit harshly, considering that those few if any of us have any actual experience yet with the gear.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    <climb on soapbox>
    I wondered how long it would be before the discussion turned harsh on the price point.

I think Kammocks are selling new material and their strength properties, and they are selling some social image as well. For those here for whom existing materials seem perfectly adequate and the social consciousness image or support for it aren't worth paying more for, there's no reason to shell out for a Kammock. Myself, I've seen that material does make a difference in the feel of a hammock---parachute silk is different from 1.1 nylon rip-stop is different from 1.9 nylon rip-stop is different from 1.9 polyester rip-stop. I'm interested in seeing what Kammock materials are like, to see if there is any perceivable difference, or whether the strength of it is the main engineering contribution.

Point : there is without question a high-end market for certain kinds of gear around here. Take the bush-buddy. Has a strong following, yet does exactly the same thing as simple wood-burning stoves at a price that is far beyond what simple stoves cost. I really like mine because I appreciate the engineering that went into it. Whether the gasifier aspect of it really matters...I can't say. I like the engineering, I like the idea of supporting this village in the hinterlands of Canada where they are made. Others think it is madness to spend over $100 on a wood stove.

We hike our own hike, hang our own hang, and allocate our $$ to gear in a way that makes sense to us individually. That's as it should be.

Whether the Kammock product and marketing strategy will succeed for them, the market will decide. I applaud their enthusiasm for what they are doing, and look forward to seeing their product.

</descend from soapbox>
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-19-2011 at 08:24.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&amp;DutchGear
    Images
    Thanks Grizz, that is a very good way to express what, I hope, most of us on HF feel.

Grizzly and NCPatrick.

I second that emotion.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Well said Grizz

Hammock
    Treklight double
    Insulation
    DIY sleeping bag
    Suspension
    metal rings
    While I like your companies vision, I will wait for a review before purchasing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks to NC Patrick and Grizz for keeping things in perspective. As a Bushbuddy owner, Grizz's analogy is spot on IMO.

My suggestions were specific for the forums. I think for the average non HF person, the kickstarter package is pretty fair.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    incubator &amp; burrow
    Suspension
    webbing straps
    2 questions:
    What is the fabric weight?
    Where are the Kammoks made?

• + New Posts