MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

Making My First Hammock

So I'm trying to plan my first MYOG Hammock and I want to just get some basic advice and tips. I am brand new to backpack hammocks and have only tried the most basic backyard hammocks. I am not looking to make an asymmetrical hammock, but I have no idea if I just make the gathered ends and sides stay straight or do I cut the sides with a curve? Other than I know I want to use Whoopee Slings and the gathered end design in the sticky that Knotty posted, I have no idea what I'm doing! Help!

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Deep breath, you'll do fine! Making a hammock may seem like a daunting task, but once you get things going it actually comes together relatively easily. (Sometimes you have to see the pieces in front of you in order to finally get the big picture)

Cutting the gathered ends into a curve or arc will help to even out the tension in the body of the hammock. Instead of having a "ridge" of tight fabric in the center and looser, floppy fabric on the sides, you'll have a flatter and more even area to lay in. However, sewing a channel on a curve can be a bit tricky.

Start thinking about dimensions, taking into account your height and general size. You should consider the type of fabric you'd like to use (Ripstop nylon is the most popular choice for backpacking-style hammocks), and whether or not you'd like a single or double layer hammock. Heavy duty polyester thread is a must for sewing. Will you be adding a bug net? Or a ridgeline?

Even if you're making a simple gathered hammock, many of the asym and "clone-type" hammock threads have helpful tips such as trimming edges, what type of stitching/seams to use, etc. I would recommend searching around the DIY - giving special emphasis to the "sticky" threads at the top - to get some pictures and ideas for your own.

And of course many HF members are happy to help if you have any specific questions. Best of luck and be sure to post pics when you're done!
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    First read the manual, if you don't have one find one and read it. The second thing you should do is, dust your sewing machine. Then gently put all the dials through there paces. Clean then oil the machine like it says in the manual. Once cleaned, put in a new needle and follow the directions in the manual for sewing, bobbin threading thread tension, ect... When I've had problems it's been because of bad bobbins and improper thread tension.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    When I've had problems it's been because of bad bobbins and improper thread tension.
    Hear hear! Thinner fabrics like 1.1 ripstop nylon can be tricky to get the thread tension right. But make sure you do! Do a few test runs on a piece of scrap fabric first.

Also, "Bad Bobbins" sounds like the greatest name for a Granny Sewing Gang ever.
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I once "fixed" a "broken" industrial sewing machine that had been sitting idle for years. The only thing wrong was the thread tension.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    sunshinehiker, welcome, you've come to the right place. I suggest that you read several threads on DIY hammocks and get some ideas about what you think you want. There are plenty of pics and diagrams here that will help, as well as some videos, if you are a more visual learner. Take your time, experiment, remember that you can go back and adjust and modify DIY projects. I had never really sewed but have since made numerous stuff sacks, two quilts, and two GVP4 backpacks. I've got hammocks in my scopes now--largely because of how much information and inspiration one can find here on HF.

Welcome and good luck with the diy itch...

Hey, first off, dont expect perfection the first time. Watch all the videos from the different gurus on here, check out the material providers in the websites located on here and have fun. About a month ago I took the plunge and it dawned on me when I was done with the hammock, its a **** rectangle of material with the edges hemmed. Nothing more or less. So try all kinds of things, it can always be adjusted. its not a beauty contest so relax and have fun.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A hammock is generally just a rectangular peice of fabric hemmed around the edges and with suspension attached. If your going to be following Knotty's great guide on the gathered end then your pretty much all set. Mason's line can be used as an UL way to tie the ends closed. Welcome aboard and good luck. Can't wait to see pics of your finished project.

There are better things to get stuck in analyzation paralization over around here, such as UQs.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    First off i'll just say that I posted this on my way out the door to work so i forgot some vital pieces of info that probably would have been good to mention, I am going for an Ultralight setup, I am an experienced seamstress, and I have some small gear sewing under my belt but this will be my first big gear project. Secondly Thanks for all the great tips. It gives me a better idea of where to start.

I plan on making more of a bug sock or something like that instead of a built in netting since I'd like to start with a hammock I can take through all 4 seasons. At least for my first one so I can get out there right away. I'm sure it won't stop at one though... . I absolutely plan on having a ridgeline, probably something like what whoopie slings sells. I may mess with some DIY for that too though.

My biggest question is what type of farbic to use. Can I use silnylon or will that not hold my weight right? Are there stores that sell fabric more suited to hammocks than the online stores I was looking at for ground shelter material? I know my weight and whether I want a single or double layer matters for material choice so, I'm thinking I would go with a single layer and I weight about 150lbs. As far as putting a curve in the gathered end. I have an idea of how to do that, but I'm not sure how deep of a curve should it be?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Looking over your website, great site BTW, I noticed the desire to go UL. You will be fine with 1.1 ripstop nylon. You don't want Silnylon for the hammock body due to condensation problems. If you want to shave every possible gram you can go with a slightly smaller/narrower hammock than most, but you may not be as comfortable.

Hammock length usually is your height plus 51inches minimum, though most seem to be just cut at 120 inches. Most people also leave their hammocks at 60 inches wide since the fabric usually comes taht wide. Again depending upon your size you may be able to trim up to 6 inches off the width, although it may cause you to feel more cramped.

My suggestion, start with the standard 120x60 in a cheap fabric such as 1.9 ripstop and see how it feels, then work on trimming that down to the smaller a little at a time. So that you can find the smallest/lightest size your comfortable with.

Also check out Sgt Rock's 13oz Hammock Setup thread for how he got sub 1lb (that's less than the half the weight of the tent you and your husband are currently carrying for both of you) hammock setup.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast