Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    $1 plastic painters drop cloth at wally world. You didn't say how long it had to last, lol!

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    lol...I had given thought to poly...but know it will not last...is tyvec an option?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Now I just hope that she never finds the view all posts button .
    When you do use that function, it only shows the 500 most recent posts. You're almost to that point, Preacha Man! Soon, your oldest post won't show up in that function...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    When you do use that function, it only shows the 500 most recent posts. You're almost to that point, Preacha Man! Soon, your oldest post won't show up in that function...
    i've used that feature since this site started. not saying i've "read" every post (especially grizz's mathematical head spinners<G>), but i've managed to "skim" over them.
    but it's getting harder all the time, especially trying to get other things accomplished as well<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ...i've used that feature since this site started. ...it's getting harder all the time...trying to get other things accomplished as well...
    The only times I've used it has been when looking to reference a specific post where I remembered who posted. In that situation, especially for the more prolific posters, I find the 500 post limit to be sort of a handicap. I really wish there was a 'next 500' at the end of the list. There is a tremendous reference/backlog of information on this site, but unless you follow it on a regular basis (I do) it can be quite difficult to locate specific information.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1&quot;poly webbing
    Images
    I use it quite often, for all the reasons yall have already stated. I'll just keep posting on, and maybe she will never find out . Today is our 6th Anniversary so she has learned to live with all my joking around, plus she is letting me leave for my hike tonight . What a great anniversary present.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Smee is a wise man... I have converted my wife from car camper to backpacker but she does like some comfort still.

I have s Campmor 1.9oz 8'x10' that isn't the lightest but was inexpensive. And easily handles a double hang if needed. They have other sizes as well.

I have two HH tarps, the standard small one and a larger one that was free if you ordered before a certain date. Both are light. The smaller one didn't completely keep my underquilt dry in rain with a little wind. The larger one kept me dry with no problem. Both were attached to the hammock suspension line and lost some tightness when I entered the hammock and everything sank down. Will try attaching at least one end of the tarp to the tree next time.

I live within striking distance of Campmor (less than an hour) but rarely go because standard orders get to my house in less than 48 hours. Yesterday my daughter and I had to go within 2 miles of Campmor so we stopped in. It was her first time and she really enjoyed it. I picked up some 3mm cord for hanging underquilts and some wire gate carabiners at an ounce apiece. I also found a Noah's tarp 12, "slightly soiled" for $39, marked down from $59 ($64 on their website). Couldn't resist. It even has stakes that aren't normally included. Weighs an ounce less than two pounds so it's not ultralight but I only plan on using it on short backpacks with the family when we will need some extra covered space. I also want to try it for one hammock set up like a winter tarp.

Good luck with a cheap tarp. Don't forget you can always sew your own.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    My first time out with Zak, I used blue K-Mart tarp, hand me down hammock, no under quilt and 40 degree night. And I still went back!

He graciously gifted me with his hand-me down camo tarp when he got his first Mac Cat. Then he got me a Kelty Noah for Christmas. It's a really good tarp for the money.

If your wife is like me, she doesn't want you spending a lot until she knows how she is going to like it. Then she gets the fun of picking out her own stuff!!
    Last edited by Lost; 03-16-2008 at 22:17. Reason: I still can't spell.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    any thoughts on Tyvek?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    &quot;Sto&quot; Serape &amp; RRG
    Images
    My first tarp was tyvek and I used it for two, 5 night AT hikes. It works, is light, and so-so compressable. It is also NOISY, bright white, and not so compressable. Pros, no sewing involved, just cut it however, big/small you want. Cons, its stiff, and heavier than 1.3 oz silnylon.

Tried the washing machine trick. Maybe in a commercial front loader with tennis balls it would have softened up, but not much in my home top loader.

Used small wooden "buttons" for the tie outs. Wrap some tyvek around the button (you could use a smooth pebble, marble, wad of used chewing gum, you get the idea), then slip knot your tie out cord around the mass. This held for me, but I wasn't in any hurricanes.

Bottom line, its cheap, its waterproof, its light weight. If you are still experimenting, spend you $ on the hammock, warmth, bugs. After you get those taken care of, budget some bucks for a tarp upgrade.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast