Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb Double-bipod hammock hang

Thanks for the Kudos.

Not shown, but tried: I ran a light non-stretch line from one chained-anchor-nails center, up and over the bipods, and back down to the other chained-nails - this supported a tarp cover - a little clumsy but it did work - critical to use non-stretch line, otherwise, you get a face-full of tarp as things stretch and heat up.

BTW, I'm kinda old (70 ... and holding), really tall (6' 8" - 2 meters) and heavy (260 lbs.) - a more 'normal' person would 'hang' higher that I would + get in and out with more grace.

Question Stronger legs

As noted, I'm REALLY tall and heavy - a more normal person would have no trouble ... but, I used softwood for the dowels - thus, for a bit more $$, put in 1" diameter OAK dowels - why didn't I do that? - well, I used what I had.

BTW, not to get negative or wanting to start a flame war ... but ... I DID ask that a person build and experiment first, BEFORE they went on to criticize ... nothing, absolutely nothing in this world, beats a hands-on experiment for performing a REALITY CHECK ... 'nuff said.

Images
    Looks like a really great approach!

Images
    I agree with the others, I'd want stronger legs but the basic concept looks good.

Looks like a great place for the 'Stake Boom' as well.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by tory1942 View Post
    ...BTW, not to get negative or wanting to start a flame war ... but ... I DID ask that a person build and experiment first, BEFORE they went on to criticize ... nothing, absolutely nothing in this world, beats a hands-on experiment for performing a REALITY CHECK ... 'nuff said.
    Did not mean to criticize, but I can see how I came off that way. Sorry about that.

Personally, I just don't trust PVC for weigh bearing applications, bolting together etc. I have seen it shatter rather than bend.

Having served as a safety officer in commercial construction, I also have a hard time keeping my big mouth shut if something doesn't "feel" right to me.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    DIY Uq
    Suspension
    Stock for now
    I made something out of 1 inch stainless tubing and some boat railing hardware. I was working on it last night and have it set up in the backyard. I used 5 foot sections of tubing. I have a Hennessey Explorer and the tarp hooks to the ends of the ratchet straps allows me to sit comfortably with my feet on the ground. It is a little heavier than pvc but I will use it when in the kayak for easy camping anywhere. Everglades National Park doesn't allow attaching anything to tree sand we are planning a trip down in a few weeks.

Hammock
    HammockBliss Triple
    Suspension
    Single Line
    As to the strength of the bipods. Could you replace the pvc with carbon fiber poles. I know that this will bump the price, but having a truly portable rig is something I haven't seen so far.
    Perhaps in the mad scramble for sexy light weightness I and everyone else has forgotten the most important function of gear – not that it must weight nothing, look good and be cheap, but that it must keep you alive and increases your survivability.
    -Andy Kirkpatrick

Thumbs up Good thoughts ... a story ... & improvements

Thanks a lot for member's comments.

Concerning changes such as aircraft-grade aluminum, titanium & carbon-composite - which would certainly be lighter and stronger - let me tell a story:

Once upon a time, an engineer was asked to design a self-ventilating chicken coop for use by folks in a summer-hot African country - he came up with a wonderful design, made of aluminum sheets, using only two custom-machined hinges and an epoxy coating that would keep the heat down inside the coop. Cost about $1500 per coop. It only took about 20 variations (and several bottles of booze) to get the final design ... made of sun-dried mud, mixed with fresh cattle dung, and reinforced with many slivers of bamboo ... coated with locally-made plaster and painted with soap-lime-milk whitewash ... cost about $1 (for the soap and milk) - it was not quite as good as the high-tech variety (about 80% to 90% as good) ... but was made of parts that anyone could get, make or adapt ... it was down-and-dirty low-tech ... but good enough!

This was the course that I took - I aimed for a system that anybody reasonable familiar with tools could make ... a saw, hammer, drill & bits would see the job done - if it broke or shattered, then easily fixed (often at roadside) - if no PVC pipe available, then fire-hardened bamboo, wrapped with fishing-line and coated with hard-drying plant sap/resin - with smaller bamboo as the 'dowel' inserts - lashings instead of steel fittings.

I looked carefully at my own video, frame-by-frame - there is a little deflection in one lower leg section and another mid-leg section - so, increase the length of the MID & BOTTOM dowel inserts to 6" ... and use OAK dowels ... no biggie - remember, the RIDER'S machine is bearing the load of parts - keeping in mind that I'm 6' 8" (2 m) tall and 260 lbs. (117 kg) weight, which is pretty extreme ... also near 70 years old, so I have a 'vested interest' in not getting dumped on the ground.

One more observation - use the heaviest hammer you can get - it takes a lot of pounding to get the 4 chained-nails deep into the ground - they come out easily, though.

OK, 'nuff ... gonna go riding and 'hang' out + take some more videos of me doing just that ... in some interesting locations.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I kind of agree that the PVC would make me a little nervous. I think the reason they are holding so well is the dowel inserts are supporting alot of the weight. I think if i was to make one i would use 1" EMT Conduit with the dowels. It would be a little heavier, but not bad for car or m/c camping. and give me a better piece of mind! I made a bigger swingset style stand out of 1-1/4" EMT conduit and it is PLENTY strong.

On the other hand if you used hardwood dowels and they went full length inside the PVC (touched end to end) I think you would see almost no bending.

BTW, all that said. I really like your stand tory1942!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12