10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hi from Toronto..

I find it very amusing that you're dreaming of winter hammocking as we suffer through this brutal heat!! Brother, you're not the only one!!!

Thanks for the best laugh today!
    (after reading your entry, I had to run over to my weather checker and put in Toronto, Ontario, Canada..I see your high today was 86*F..
    sweetie. that is the temp around here when I get up at 5-6 am to go to work.
    I will not distress you with the actual highs around here, but if you want to check, just put Dallas or Fort Worth TX into your favorite weather site...)
    mind you; I tend to go into hibernation once the temps go below 50F, so I guess it is all what you are used to..
    KM(who is glad glad glad for air conditioning!)

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Well, I took your advice and looked up Fort Worth TX, and all I can say is yeeeeeesh!!! Definitely not my frst choice for a mid-July hang!!!

Let's talk more about those winter hangs!!!! Ahh the joys of being shivering cold, the sweet chatter of teeth!!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Shug is an excellent resource for cold weather hammocking too. He's been down way cold.

*giggle* I'm completely surrounded by Crown Land, but it's an 8h drive for you folks :P

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    My first winter camp was at Valens Conservation area with some Ontario hangers. Here's the trip report. Went out again with them a few weeks later. The same group plus others went on a spring canoe trip to Algonquin and are planning a fall trip to Algonquin.

With regards to insulation, you could use a combination of sleeping pads and makeshift underquilts. For top insulation, again, a sleeping bag supplemented with wool blankets can work. This of course is heavy and bulky and appropriate for when a vehicle is near. I'm certain we will be getting together at Valens again this winter and of course you'd be welcome to join us if you don't mind the drive to Hamilton.

I LOVE Hamilton!
    I hope you don't mind if I'm one of those "painted up Juggalo klown freaks" you have an abundance of (obvi not painting up if I come along, and I'm one of the mature respectful ones. I love nature, I hate assholes, lol)
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Go to the HF homepage and in the right hand column click on the Goggle Map user icon. By the way welcome to HF.
    ok, so I assume you mean HammockForums.net but the full right hand column is all the "last post" of each "subject". Very confused, sorry. (I've never felt this dumb with tech.)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here you go.........click 'HOME" then look to the right down a bit for Google Map.
    Shug

HF-home by Sean Shug Emery, on Flickr
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Hike2Hang,

Winter camping is a blast but a huge learning curve from 3 season camping. I have a few thoughts to share with you regarding winter camping experience that you can consider for yourself or not. Reading and experimenting doesn’t cost much but some time spent doing it.

You can start out by testing your ideas in the winter/cold in your backyard or a controlled camping area where you can exit safely and/or gracefully exit if things go awry.

Watching some of Shug's winter videos showing winter gear with how's and why's as he does a great job explaining the reasons and benefits. Shug also has a great vid that showcases an idea using a sleeping bag as a peapod as he wraps his whole hammock and tests it.

A pulk sled will be a necessity if you are packing into the wilderness any good distance. Plus a pulk sled will be more forgiving bringing and carrying maybe not so ultra light and heavier, bulkier winter gear. (There's alot of good DIY info here on how to make one).

My first winter outing I found that the pulk sled was hugely important, of course clothing too but footwear was a big challenge to dial in for me. Depending where you go and the snow conditions snow shoes maybe required.

Lastly as you mentioned getting with a group of winter hangers/hikers will give you a wealth of information and speed up your learning curve tremendously.

Here is a few winter Shug Vid’s worth watching although there are plenty more to view and learn from. Enjoy!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ug+winter+gear

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=shug+peapod

Good luck with your winter camping quest. Perhaps I'll see you on some snowy montain top someday.
    Last edited by HWS; 07-20-2011 at 21:22.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thanks for assistance.
    lots of good reading

another question (kinda related, so just adding it here):

Is there a way to trim out a CCF pad so it wont "crimp" or fold when you lay in your hammock? Just did an "in apartment" (i have eye hooks screwed into studs to test gear indoors - in controlled environment) test run with my gathered-end hammock and it creates fold, etc when I lay in it.
    Last edited by Hike2Hang; 07-22-2011 at 02:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123