Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    Two people is too much!!! It happened here just recently. If it's the black webbing, then yea it can break when someone else piles in the hammock with you, especially if its worn. For two people, you have to have something more robust than typical cottage ultralight webbing.
    I have pissed my girlfriend off several times because I refuse to let her in my hammock with me. She's not going to ruin my tree straps.
    Why would two people be any different than one of our many 300+ pound hangers? Or a parent putting three or four kids in the hammock? Or that big guy and his heavy dog?

Weight is weight, pounds are pounds. It doesn't matter how you get to that weight.

As long as the webbing has a sufficient load rating, I don't see how it matters.

Jerry

P.S. - better not let your girlfriend see this post.
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    The two of you are 301lbs which is more or less half the weighted rate, depending on the angle of the tree strap and whether it was tangent to the tree or coming out of the center would make a large impact. I think most people use a strap that is rated for 1k or more.

Images
    Ratings come in both static and dynamic - big difference between the two. Add worn edges, rubbing against a clip, a dynamic load - I could see it happen. Need to let the distributor (then the actual manufacturer) take a look.

Images
    Thanks for posting about your strap failure.
    It reminded me to inspect my straps for damage.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    contact the vendor.... there all good guys and will fix the problem Asap
    ad for factors that could cause the break there are way too many to get into
    so going there really is only your to make more question then solve the problem at hand
    if they both came from the same vendor could be he got a bad roll...
    but again i'm not the vendor and we don't know where they came from
    but Jerry is right.. weight is weight... pounds are pounds shouldn't matter how or what was in the hammock...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    The webbing I use seems like it would tear in a straight line if it ever got started or worn right. I bet I know which cottage webbing it was. I'm careful with mine.

I dont know really, just buy her her own hammock.
    Last edited by taylo; 07-19-2011 at 09:23.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    As one of the heavweight hangers, I can admit it, I have found that any of the lighter weave straps will fail if you are at the 300lb mark. Had it happen to me last year, the webbing failed at the stitching point. I have also found that the lighter weight rated webbing will stretch a great deal, not nylon but a poly strap. This is the reason that I will only hang from 1" seatbelt webbing that I get from Strapworks.com.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    webbing straps
    if this happens to me, I'll be sure to hold onto the pieces. The maker will be able to tell a lot more with the physical evidence in hand, and there is the curiosity factor here where people want to see the photos.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Strapworks 1" webbing is fine for two people. My girlfriend and I routinely get in the hammock together, but I do make sure I've got the correct webbing with me.

I have had webbing fail. Once, it was in the form of a gash. It was Strapworks webbing and it wasn't the webbing's fault. I had a steel ring break and the sharp edge ripped down the center of the webbing. Genuine Draft and I had to hang from that webbing for a few days until we got into the next town. The gash/tear was right down the center of the webbing, maybe 7" long. It held both of us even in that condition. Pretty sure I still have it, I'll try to remember to take a picture if I can find it. Point is, the stuff is tuff! Strapworks.com is the place to get your double sleeper webbing IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Thanks for posting this. It is good to be aware of such possibilities. I have been hanging in some of my hammocks since fall 06, with mostly the same straps and ropes, no problems yet. This includes the cheap Harbor Freight ratchet strap webbing, which I have meant to change but have not, on my Claytor. And on the other end of that hammock I still have the stock skinny webbing that most every one replaces.

So this is obviously rare, but can obviously happen. This is why, when possible, I don't hang any higher that I am willing to fall and don't hang over anything I'm not willing to fall on. Though I usually actually prefer a higher hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast