WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Ahh thats a good idea tendertoe. The old ground cloth. Although my ground cloth was pretty small, had a very small tent. Not sure how much space that would actually add when its raining and windy but its better than nothing.

I personally upgraded my tarp to a wilderness logics Big Daddy. It weighs only 3 ounces more than the stock HH 70D diamond tarp but has way more room underneath. I have that on its own ridgeline and the hammock goes in snake skins when I am hanging out under the tarp. Just got my set up to this point so only test driven it in the backyard. But I have high hopes. I couldn't stop smiling when it was all in porch mode. I kept imagining my friends who are still ground dwellers shuffling in to their tents while I lounge.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I don't like the idea of cooking under my bed but I also mostly canoe so am less weight conscious. One can do a lot with an 8x10 or even a 5x 7 tarp as a shelter to cook or hang out under. It also provides additional gear storage and is group gear if not going solo. If you go that route check into the various pitching options. You probably want a setup where you can take one side to ground when you get windy rain. I think you can do a lot under a pound with silnylon and the lightweight cords now in use. If you like a campfire you might want something heavier that resists flying embers. Hmmm, I wonder how cuben deals with heat..... ;-)
    IMO, this is what makes the HH asym tarp a good idea. In bear country, I really don't like taking any camp smells into my sleeping area. I don't cook, hangout, or use my hammock as a chair for that reason. Having a very small tarp is not a negative if it is just for sleeping coverage.

Having a second kitchen tarp is a good idea providing shade, windshield, rain protection, etc. in the cooking/camping area.

Of course, everything is dependant on the trip - camping vs. treking vs. basecamping, participants, length of trip, etc.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Outdoor Products 5x7 PU coated nylon tarp at Walmart. $10. Perfect for a kitchen/hangout tarp. A poncho would also be a good choice because of multiple use.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    IMO, this is what makes the HH asym tarp a good idea. In bear country, I really don't like taking any camp smells into my sleeping area. I don't cook, hangout, or use my hammock as a chair for that reason. Having a very small tarp is not a negative if it is just for sleeping coverage.

Having a second kitchen tarp is a good idea providing shade, windshield, rain protection, etc. in the cooking/camping area.

Of course, everything is dependant on the trip - camping vs. treking vs. basecamping, participants, length of trip, etc.
    I find the stock asym tarp too small for wet weather. Canoe trips seem to draw rain. ;-)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I find the stock asym tarp too small for wet weather. Canoe trips seem to draw rain. ;-)
    I have seen that from a number of hangers, but I have always had great success myself.

As not to derail the thread into a debate on an unrelated product, I should have spoke more generically. I think using a smaller tarp on the hammock and a second kitchen tarp in order to keep the areas separate is a good idea.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12