Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Larger webbing strap idea...

I have been on a D.I.Y. kick lately. Walking around my local hardware stores (and my dads garage ) all googly eyed thinking, "what can this become?". Its a lot of fun and occupies my "unemployed and waiting for the semester to begin" time . So does the pool and hammock

But so I found some winch straps that I had purchased for my truck. Used them a few times to get people out of snow and mud. But I have two sets, so I was thinking of cutting them up and making longer webbing straps.

I will have to sew the straps both ends so it makes a loop. Hard to describe but ya know what I mean, the same loop that you see on the normal webbing straps so you can fit a carabiner or other type of suspension system in there.

What do ya think? Do you feel I should use a special thread to sew the loop in? Any thoughts would be great. I also posted to maybe provoke the idea in someone else too. Who knows, maybe someone else has some winch straps laying around and also needs bigger webbing straps
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    We already use them. You don't need to sew both end though. Just cut the metal hook off the loop end and either sew the other or marlin hitch like I do. Great straps.

I would be cautious though if you are using the same straps you used to pull a vehicle with. They may have been exposed to a dynamic load outside of their rating. Make sure you inspect them well. There have been some strap failures as of late.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are several ways to deal with the making of loops. If you trust your own DIY skills sewing the loops is not a big deal. I use normal good _new_ 100% polyester thread. Make sure it is high quality. You are going to be checking the loops everytime you hang... ( or you should) so you will catch any weakness that is happening due to wear or smal thread breakage. I've not had that problem...

You can take the straps to a luggage or awning place and ask them to sew the loops in to the webbing.

Or as above, use the loops that are already in the webbing by removing the unneeded hardware. You can get by with loops on just one end if you plan the sus[ension properly. Lots of resources to explain how to do that depending on what your suspension of choice might be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    I make all my straps from 1" webbing. I just fold over about 8'' from one end, and sew 3 bar tacks 1'' apart from each other, then do 2 boxes between the bartacks.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    ****What do ya think? Do you feel I should use a special thread to sew the loop in? Any thoughts would be great. I also posted to maybe provoke the idea in someone else too. Who knows, maybe someone else has some winch straps laying around and also needs bigger webbing straps
    I have hand stitched the loops with a doll needle and upholstery thread as suggested in another thread. Works great, albeit a bit time consuming.

• + New Posts