Images

Grayson Highlands Loop

I am taking the 10 year old nephew hiking next weekend (7/30). I thought that we would leave the park going north to Scales then back south along the Crest Trail. I plan on spending the night on the Crest trail side then hiking out Sunday morning.

Has anyone done this hike lately?

What I really need to know is how are the water sources on the Crest Trail? Looking at the map it seem that we will be fine water wise on the AT side but I only see one water source on the Crest. Does anyone have any different info?

there is a water source on the Crest Trail in 2 places. One is where it gets close to the Pine Mountain trial and the other spot is after it passes the AT on Rhododendron Gap

If I was you I would do the Pine Mountain trail. You will be in the woods and not out in the sun.

Lots of campsites at Rhododendron gap plus the ponies may come and visit you.

See attached map
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Thank you Ewker.

I've waffled back and forth between Crest and Pine Mountain. Crest for the views and like you said Pine maybe cooler. I may make that call when we get to Scales.

I've looked at the same map is there a sign showing the water source on either trail? I was thinking that we would end up somewhere around there for the evening. It would let us fill up with water for Dinner/Breakfast and not have to carry much from Scales.

the water source at the Crest Trail and Rhododendron gap trail intersection is to the right just as you start down the Rhododendron gap trail. There is a trail leading down to it. It has a corral around it to keep the ponies out.

Not sure on the other water source. I haven't done the Crest trail yet. I know on the Pine Mtn. trail I found a small water source. It was flowing across the trail. I walked up into the grass about 50' and look for horse crap before I filtered. Never saw any so we filled up there before the climb up to Rhododendren Gap
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Mike - I may see you up there. I am doing a group hike w/ 4 dads and 4 sons that weekend. We are starting at Massie Gap and looping around the backside of Mt Rogers on the Mt Rogers trail down to the Fairwood Valley Trail over to the AT and back to Massie Gap on the AT. Two nights / 3 days. Hope for both our sakes we have good weather...

Images
    Good deal Dave. We are only doing an overnight, his first one.

I'm looking forward to getting out of this heat here on the coast. Highs in the 80's sounds wonderful, hope it doesn't rain.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    Yeti/HG W Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Hey guys, I just got back from that one. Spectacular. I will tell you that the Pine Mt. trail is very rocky and dry as a bone. I found and dug a spring right behind the Scales, I think it was either just at the mouth of the the Scales trail or the Highlands trail entrance, behind the trailer. Remember, you are in the highlands, there are places where there is no where to hang a hammock!
    Check out the video I made.
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

Images
    Watched the video this morning, thanks.

I'm thinking of camping half way between Scales and Rhodo Gap. Looks like I may have trees there, what do you think?

• + New Posts