Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

HH Explorer Deluxe pad questions

Just bought a Explorer Deluxe...my first hammock...I'm 6'4"/250lbs. Plan to use on my section hike in GA middle of next month. I've been reading the posts on pads/UQ's. Lots of info to digest. I plan to use my WallyWorld blue foam and make a fleece sleave to put pad in. I will use my sleeping bag as an overquilt. I guess my first question is...any thoughts...my second is...how long to you make it..given the bottom opening in the HH. I'm sure I'll probably change after week long section as I will be much wiser then...now however..all new to me. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks and Cheers, bill

I use the wally world 20 inch CCF pads in an Explorer - various thoughts

1.) cut a triangle few inches off of the corner a.) to the left of your head and b.) to the right of your feet - this tends to keep the pad from curling up and over you as you lay in the hammock

2.) use a pillow (such as a stuff sack with some clothing) to extend the pad length a little

3.) use a sit pad sized piece of CCF tucked into the foot end sort of diagonal toward the center line of the hammock - this is for your feet when they slide off of the main pad

4.) use any extra/not currently used clothing or other soft gear to stuff around your shoulders and torso

5.) plan on sleeping on your back and if you feel the need stick something under your knees to suppress the feeling of hyperextension

wrt to length of pad - I use full length (72 inch I think) wrt to the length of the sleave - I would only have it long enough to fit your torso
    Last edited by jlb2012; 03-10-2008 at 15:57.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Might consider getting a Speer SPE. You'll feel the cold for sure on your upper sides with a 20" pad. If I were your size, I'd get the 4x4
    www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    Or get some pads from Speer or Oware and customize them to your liking. You could even make a pad sleeve to join 2 or more pads together. www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 03-10-2008 at 20:23.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I use to cover my pad with a light fleece throw...not sure I'm getting any benefit from it and I will probably discontinue...shoulder condensation just doesn't seem to be a problem with my sleep system here in the arid Mountain West. And the fleece can't provide much, if any, insulation. None the less...

Instead of making a sleeve, I clipped a light fleece throw (Campmor) to my Oware pad. The "butterfly" clips I found in the office supply section of Target (but haven't seen them there for a long time). Clipping the throw rather than making a sleeve more than halves the fleece's weight...but at the same time it forms an open-ended pocket where additional foam (like a sit pad) can be inserted for more insulation.

FB

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    An uncoated nylon cover (even unwoven nylon) will work as well as the fleece to stop condensation and be a lot lighter. And you only need to cover the top side.

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Thanks to all...I decided to go with the Speer SPE 4x4. Seems to work pretty well..but will find out next month on the trail in GA. By the way...the folks at Speer Hammocks are top notch...great customer support..quick..accurate...great people. Thanks and cheers, bill

• + New Posts