Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Kinda like this?

Fronkey
    Uh, yep. Pretty much exactly like that. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks for the link I'd go on and on about how awesome your directions are, but I have to go fire up my sewing machine right now. Later.......

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Thread has some tenure to it - so has anyone tried this bug net in heavy mosquito times... just curious how the sides seal up with just the weight of rocks in the pockets. Moreso, when you are moving around in your hammock (adjust your TQ/UQ, etc)

Looking to use this approach or Fronkeys on a couple gathered ends for the scouts.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    My instructions for the weighted bugnet are not anything original. The idea has been around for quite some time. I did it at the suggestion of member Pedro a few years ago. To date, I've never had a mosquito problem and I'm a major tosser and turner. But the real test is people who get out the more than I do. Fronkey's bug net with the bungee bottom is a great design but my goal was to keep the sewing effort to a minimum and also make entry and exit as uninhibited as possible. With all the bears in my area, I don't want anything between me and a fast exit. LOL!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I've used this design during North Carolina Summers with no bugs getting to me.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

i made one like this, but just used the 5 foot wide no-seeum i had. it's just wide enough to hang across a 5 foot wide gathered end hammock with the rock pockets. no sewing required, except for the rock pockets and the tabs for tying it to the suspension lines. works great!

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Daughter used one this weekend and she had no problems with bugs but it was also a low of 48 degrees. So I am not sure if it would be the most scientific of tests.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up Bug net

Fronkey s bug net looks real easy but i am not too good with the sewing, i did however find a nice net at sportsmansguide.com called the skeeta net and it has loop on top and around the bottom allready sewn on, They run 13 bucks and i got one sitting here and i am about to get it set up soon and will let everyone know how it turns out, i think this is the way to go for me , we will see
    On the post beneath this one silerpalm2x posted 3 links about group hangs, the one link that is MAHHA tells me i dont have acces to that page, just wondering what is it and why not?
    Last edited by Zilla; 08-21-2013 at 20:29.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest w/ str. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret 8x10
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm envisioning a combination Fronkey/Weighted bugnet. Wouldn't be for the SUL crowd, as it would add a little bit of material (omni-tape) to provide dual functionality, but for people looking for flexibility, it could be ideal.

Most of the time, at least for me, the weighted net is ideal because of easy entry and exit. But run into one really bad bug night and a not-so great seal (which, to be fair, I have never run into) and you could be a bit uncomfortable. But if the option were there to turn the net into a full-on fronkey for a little more protection, it might give some more nervous campers (or people who live near tons of mosquitoes) a little piece of mind.

As I crudely drew in the picture below, put two (one hooks, one loops) strips of omni-tape on each of the diagonal (relative to the ridgeline/ground) sides of the net.

net.jpg

This would allow the sides to be sealed up like a fronkey when needed, but the omni-tape could be folded onto itself when not in use so as not to snag any other gear (or the net itself). On the bottom, keep the rock pouches, but also sew in a basic channel to each side. You would need two lengths of shock cord, which would be left in the end channels. When you wanted to cinch up the bottom like a classic Fronkey net, you attach the pieces to each other and cinch.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Instruction: Detatched Bugnet

I always love the way we build on each other's ideas around here. I have had some bad experiences with the combination of Velcro and netting. They seem to be natural enemies
    Have you thought of sewing up just the sides and leaving the bottom completely open with no cord? I hung with Grinder this past weekend and his net was constructed this way. The bottom of the net touched the ground. He really liked it and I think I will follow his example.
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-10-2014 at 22:03.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rychipman View Post
    ...But run into one really bad bug night and a not-so great seal (which, to be fair, I have never run into) and you could be a bit uncomfortable.
    I think your idea has value but it also may be a solution in search of a problem. Many expect to have mosquito problems with a corner weighted bug net but I've yet to hear of someone who actually experienced that.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast