ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by zirk View Post
    ... There was a steady breeze coming up the rock face under me. After about 45 Min I started to shiver. ... I would dose off only to awaken with the shivers. ... I am not sure how much difference suspending the UQ under the hammock will make, but that will be the next test.
    My experience has been similar. Suspending the underquilt, instead of laying on it, makes a HUGE difference. When I first started hanging, I was laying on a 0* bag and felt like I was suffering from hyperthermia at 40-50* due to cold butt syndrome. Whereas, I'm now using 2 suspended poncho liners (folded in half, overlapping each other from opposite directions to somewhat trap air) and another one as a top quilt to go quite comfortably into the low/mid 30's. It doesn't get cold to often in coastal Florida, so I'm not sure how low I can go this way.
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zirk View Post
    Had a chance to test TQ & UQ last week at unplanned church camp sleepout. The weather was about 85 during the day down to 60's at night. Used the TQ in the cabin during the early morning hours with great success. HOWEVER, when we slept out at "Lookout Mountain" (Camp Name) which is a small hill with a granite outcropping things didn't go so well. I set up my grand Trunk Traveler and put the UQ in the bottom as I havent gotten the shock cord for the suspension yet. I got settled in and under the TU and was almost hot for a short while. There was a steady breeze coming up the rock face under me. After about 45 Min I started to shiver. I checked my fingers and toes which were both warm and got up and put on my fleece hat. This helped for about another half hour but it had cooled some more and I was again warm on top but cold on the bottom. I would dose off only to awaken with the shivers. About 1 am I dropped the hammock to the ground (GASP!!@!@!) and was instantly warm enough to slep the rest of the night. I am not sure how much difference suspending the UQ under the hammock will make, but that will be the next test.
    situation question; was this straight up fleece, or did it have a nylon/DWR/ripstop layer? fleece by itself is not much of a wind block, (unless you spring for polartec 'windstopper', which I think is not the case)and moving air will suck the heat right up out of you...
    ps re-read and noticed fleece was between you and hammock; so heat loss by conduction to the outer layer was likely a big factor..

Hammock
    DIY, Yukon, Grand trunk
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchStuff
    Kermegan

I was using the nylon covered fleece that I made shown earlier in this thread so I had 2 layers of nylon and the fleece plus shirt between me and the moving air. Now I have 1/8 th bungee cord to suspend the UQ with and will have a chance this weekend to test it out. Will report back.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i'm taking my fleece set down to Fernandina Bch Fl for a week to test it's absorbency.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I keep thinking about making one with a layer of fleece and a second layer that buttons in with climashield or similar.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i finally got to test my fleece for low temp comfort.
    using my UQP in addition to my unbacked fleece UQ and my fleece TQ w/1.1 shell,
    wearing jeans and long sleeve cotton tee shirt and a fleece hat and cotton socks.
    i found that 42-43* is the low end of the comfort range.
    i could feel the chill when i bent a knee far enough to make the TQ tight against my knee.

all in all, i'm very happy with the functionality,
    when temps drop below the fleeces range, it comes inside as a throw blanket.
    when the weather gets super cold, i can add it to my TQ.

thanks to WL for putting this set together for me.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Thanks for the update, I was following this thread for about a month. It sounds to me like it has about the same specs as a poncho liner would have. If I could I would probably also make a fleece uq at bare minimum, but might just enlist the help of WL now to make a set for me when the time comes. Thank you for the report flatline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345