Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Yep, been there done this. Minus the stand.

I have tried the lightweight string/net hammocks, no way on earth could I get comfortable.

Got a cheapish brazillian for the backyard and hung between the patio uprights, just far apart enough, was good, can nap no worries.

Made a diy with enough width and length for my size, insert a structural ridgeline for adjustability of sag. tweak, test, repeat.

Now, with a converted sleeping bag underquilt, and a small pillow (I prefer to sidesleep) I can sleep the night, if the **** traffic, revheads doing burnouts, neighbours dont interrupt me.

I would measure the gap between the stand attatchment points, maybe stiffen the arms? and possibly (assuming this is an option) stake the ends out to the lawn/ground/yard with some rope and pegs.

I find it took some tweaking to get a repeatable, comfortable lay, and a larger/wider hammock body was helpful for me. (Unsure of your particular hammock, and your size, as it makes a difference.) Also, I found a single layer hammock had too much stretch to be properly comfortable FOR ME. You may find otherwise.

Alternatively, it may be entirely possible it is not for you. If possible, maybe organise to attend a group hang somewhere if you can (Not sure how many folks are local to you. Maybe a couple?). Most peeps here would be happy to let you try their rigs, and explain the pros/cons of various methods.

I'd offer mine but I'm not exactly a short drive from anywhere really
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    And, you haven't even heard yet from (the relatively few) hammock sleepers here. They sleep well in no-compromise Brazilian or Mayan style, which may be as much as 7 feet wide, and certainly do allow you to roll, they are so capacious.

But +1 on what others have said about set-up. Tune any string instrument wrong and it will be uncomfortable.......sounding.
    As a confirmed full-time hammock sleeper, I just have to chime in here! I have a troublesome back & neck after a bad accident years ago, and after trying just about every bed they make, I finally ditched it and now sleep in a Mayan in summer, Brazilian in winter. Closest thing to pain-free sleep I've ever had. I also prefer them instead of a sofa or recliner. Most of my house guests now want to sleep in hammocks instead of beds, too, and they wake up happy.

No guarantee that you'll have the success I've had (though I sure hope you will!) but I think it's definitely worth a try. Mayans and Brazilians are pretty inexpensive. They hang much more "saggy" than the camping types. For max sleeping comfort you lay either diagonally or crosswise in them and can get quite flat. Get one at least a foot wider than you are tall. Truly hammock heaven!

Also, I agree with what the others said about stands. Most of them are too short (both vertically and horizontally) for anything other than the kind with spreader bars. If you need to use a stand, there are several really good DIY plans on HF.

Don't give up just yet! There are several folks here who sleep in their hammocks at home and happy to help you get set up safely and comfortably. You'll be rockin' & rollin', swingin' & snoozin' in no time!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It would help if you gave us the measurements of the hammock and the stand. If the two are not compatible you will have no end of trouble. Who made them and did you buy them from the same source?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My first few hammock experiences were miserable. The original suspension was nylon, so it stretched. Compensating for the stretch meant pulling the hammock excessively tight and making the lay very uncomfortable.
    Dont give up! Tweaking your set up can provide for an excellent nights sleep. Some stands and hammock combinations don't work. If your sagging on the ground, something is wrong.

I came to this forum to find a solution to my original hammock problems, and have been satisfied with the useful info here.
    Speak out on your problems, the folks here will offer up years worth of experience and advice. Glean all the info you can, put it to use and you will be rewarded.
    Most of the time it is a simple fix.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12