Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY underquilt question

I'm looking to make my own underquilt (technically, making 2 of em). My idea was to buy a sleeping bag on the cheap, cut it in half and make 2 underquilts out of the material. I'm looking for suggestions and tips on 2 different things.

1. Sleeping bag suggestions. Looking for something that is small and light! Something that will crush to the size of a pop can. Rated to about 40 degrees (or as high as 50). Just looking for something cheap, small, light, and warm enough for spring, summer, and fall in the OH and PA area.

2. Anyone else who has made one.. any suggestions on what is the best way to attach tension cords to the DIY underquilt?

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks all.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Several people here have done this before. I'm uncertain as to who exactly it was, but I'd suggest checking the DIY section for those threads.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    viddi, an often used phrase around here is "cheap, light, compact-pick two"
    Cheap- would be a sleeping bag from a major retail chain store (your choice) Probably a synthetic, not very compact.
    Light- would be a down bag from a quality retailer or a cottage vendor here on the forum. Not the cheapest, but a time proven insulation that offers great insulation value for the bulk/weight.
    Compact to the size of a pop can...none that I know of.

Down is the most compact insulating product I know of, but it comes at a cost. Some folks have found cheap down bags at a second hand store or a yard sale, if your lucky.

One standard sleeping bag generally won't make two standard sized uq's, the math just does not work out normally.

Welcome to the forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Ok. Let's scratch cheap then. lol. Thanks for the info I shall continue my search and check the DIY section (which I didn't notice before,, oops :/

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I just made one,,from a youth bag,,6ft..synthetic for the wife,,to try out before I buy her a down one..I wanted to check and see if she burnt up in hammock as she is so hot natured..and I really mean hot natured..when I buy a quilt,,hers has to be 10 to 15 degrees lighter than mine.lol,,,but the down side is size,,,when you compress it,,and weight..you can make one super easy,,attaching shock chord,,and cutting the zippers and excess off,,and cutting the foot box out,,and just hand sewing it with nylon thread,,takes a couple of hours..you might try ebay and pick up a down used bag,,most are sold pretty cheap. Works like a charm I might add,,and a 30 degree bag has her toasted with a poncho liner for the TQ. She is already complaining how hot she is. lol

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I've been hashing the same idea around. IMHO, by the time you buy a sleeping bag, dissect it, and put it back together, you could make a better under quilt with about the same effort and expense. You can use really light nylon fabric as the thing only needs to hold up its own weight and survive stuffing for transport. Air permeability is important-- you don't want to loose the dead air space. Now that I think about it, some cheap sleeping bags suck that way--- they are too breathable and cold in a breeze. The Lafuma 600 comes to mind.

Filler is easy. You can buy various Primaloft batting for $11.50-$14.50 a 60" wide yard. That is about as good as it gets. You can find cheaper polyester batting in any fabric store. It is warm enough and fairly tough, but it doesn't compress and stow like the Primaloft. I got a big roll of new stuff at Goodwill for $5 I would look for deals on light nylon fabric with DWR (durable water resistant) coating. I wonder if you could use silnylon on the outside and super light uncoated nylon on the inner side? I'm thinking weather shielding, but it might collect condensation.

Sewing is just making a big envelope with channels for side suspension or end gathering, or tie-outs on the ends, depending on the system(s) you like. Once you have an envelope, you put the batting in, close the final edge and run some stitch lines across it to hold the batting in place. Anyone used to running a thread injector can pull it off pretty quick.

If you took apart a sleeping bag, you would still need to sew the edges and channels and lose all the opportunity to make it optimal size because you would be working within the constraints of the sleeping bag dimensions. If you got the perfect bag cheap it might be worth it-- like a $5 garage sale or thrift store deal. I've been keeping an eye out for high quality comforters to dissect with that in mind.

I had a rectangular bag that had Quallofil insulation and a good quality shell. The zipper broke and it was an easy process to take the zipper off--- the bag was made complete and the zipper was added on last. So I ended up with a big flat quilt with sleeping bag qualities. We have used it for summer car camping for years. I would look for a rectangular or semi-rectangular bag. A semi-rectangular would have the nice barrel shape you want for an UQ, and there would be a drawstring channel in the top anyway.

Mountain Hardwear makes their "flip" bags with more fill on one side, so you can just flip it over for more or less warmth. That would be neat to dissect and you could have a heavy and a light quilt, and maybe rig them for use together. They aren't cheap and they would make an excellent topside bag, so a shame to chop one up.

I see used sleeping bags with broken zippers all the time at the REI Garage Sale, but then I live 6 miles from the "flagship" store in Seattle Even then, they don't give them away.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    try a poncho liner. Type PLUQ into the search box.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Search this site for creativekat. She made one like you are talking about. She has a great video. I think I spelled her handle wrong.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    The sleeping bag idea ,,could be workable,,but nothing is very cheap..if you search ebay,,and all the places for used bags,,and look at their weights,,even tho down,,the older bags,,weigh a ton,,and you just don't know about the fill,,whether its clumped over the years from usage and not being taken care of properly,,if you go new..and look at the cheap bags,,they weigh a ton,,and to get the weight down,,you have to diesect everything,,better off,,buying a new one off these guys that support the forum. the one I made for 55.00,, is just a trial and error thingy to see if it worked or could be workable,,the wife won't backpack,,so car camp her and she is fine. for me,,buying new UQ..just haven;t made up mind whether synthetic or down..leaning more to synthetic as I like the bad weather elements,,and enjoy a good storm. lol.,

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    I picked up a full size mid-weight bag from Value Village for less than ten dollars. I cut one under quilt out of it. It's still getting down to the low 50's here at night, but I've been comfortable with it. I've slept outside with it at least a half a dozen times. I made my top quilt the same way.

It is bulky, but I don't care. I use it while I stay at my brother's during the week. And for a test the waters, see if I really want to invest in hammock camping, DIY under quilt, it was worth every penny I put in it. I don't regret taking the time to make it from the sleeping bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast