Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie

thinking of making the switch to a hammock, want to stay sub 2lb's total.

Hi, I am a long time ground dweller with a sub 2lb tent set-up for backpacking. With that said I also have a garden hammock in my backyard that I could sleep for days in so I am thinking of taking the plunge. I am 160lb's soaking wet so I am considering the Blackbird single layer 1.1 as my future hammock.

My question is more concerning the suspension system. I often hike until just before dark so I would like a system that I would not have to spend time in dusk tying knots. I would also like a weight savings over the stock adjustable webbing suspension.

I have looked at both of these: Will either of these save me a noticeable amount of weight savings? If I could get a 20oz set-up with suspension I would be very happy -- then a 10oz tarp would put me in the same weight class I am now on the ground,.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm

and http://shop.whoopieslings.com/All-In-One-system-AI1.htm

as I would prefer to get all the suspension items from one place if possible.

lastly, if i were to upgrade the suspension to one of the lighter alternatives above, would the line/strap or adjustable webbing be a better starting point (or does it not matter at all when changing it out)

Thanks!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Yo Jay,

Water Monkey here from LI, NY

I have the 1.1 single layer WBBB outfitted with dynaglide whoopie slings from Whoopieslings.com, 6 foot polyester straps and aluminum arrow shafts (marlin spike hitch).... 18.44oz total with stuff sack provided by Warbonnet. You could probably go lighter with a cuben stuff sack and get into the 17oz range but the double ended bag suits me fine.

Here's my Summer Shelter set up:

And my 3 season (difference is the top quilt):

Annnnnd the switch out to whoopie slings:

"If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    sweet rig watermonkey.
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    oh for the record... Zpacks tarp or Hammock Gear's cuben tarp will put you below 10oz with suspension and guyline tie outs.... I think you will be just fine Jay

Ears - glad you liked the rig served me well in winter and summer storms!

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use the stock adjustable BB webbing and added Dutch Clips to the end loops. Makes for a very fast and (my favorite part) easy no fuss, no fiddle set up.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Hi Jay, I recently made the switch to hammocks too. I ended up with a 1.1 single layer Traveler from Warbonnet which I'd recommend if you're trying to keep it light. After learning how to hang it, I find it to be very comfortable (I've slept in it about 5 nights now). I just use a headnet for bug protection. I can only imagine the Blackbird is more comfortable.

I got the line/strap suspension from WB and really wish I had gotten the adjustable webbing suspension. As a newbie, getting my hammock right the first time was kind of a pain since I had to keep tying and untying knots and I would have gotten it much quicker if I had the adjustable webbing suspension. As for the weight, it didn't matter because I've switched out my suspension to dynaglide whoopies following Water Monkey's video instructions (thanks! it was very helpful!). The whoopie to tree strap suspension is super easy to rig once you get the hang of it.

FWIW, my Traveler (no suspension) weighs 6.5 oz. With dynaglide whoopies, 6 ft tree straps, and stock stuff sack it weighs about 10.5 oz.

Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    First off, thank you all for the terrific and informative replies! Water Monkey, you have my ideal set-up and your videos are priceless! While a cuben tarp would be the ideal situation, I think I may try to get a mccat spinnul to save some money, for 3 seasons is the standard adequate or is the deluxe better for storm protection? Can't seem to find anything lighter without paying $290.

Dynaglide whoopies seem super easy to swap thanks to video! Do you think dutch clips are good for the straps? anything better?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    No problemo took me a couple of years to dial in that set up during my quest for UL backpacking.

Negative on the dutch clips for whoopies/polyester straps.... just feed the strap through the end loops and you are fine. I'm in the same weight as you 155lbs - 160lbs when I'm feeling fat. No issues with the straps or known stress on the fabric.

For a noob I would suggest the Deluxe.... I have the Deluxe and it's perfect for my hiking style of less coverage but allows great storm protection and ability to cook under the tarp if need be. Others here use the standard but I like a little more coverage.

WARNING - Spinn is NOISEY. And doesn't pack down that well compared to Silnylon or Cuben. Just giving you a heads up if you are looking to save real estate in your pack.

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I went a step further, Jay, by using amsteel tree straps. I am using a 1.0 (coyote brown) blackbird with standard (7/64?) amsteel whoopies. I opted for the line/strap suspension, that way when changing out to whoopies I could use the extra amsteel to make my tree straps. This method and 3" alum. toggles gets me a 16.1 ounce hammock. 9.1oz for my zpacks tarp with all lines, tensioners, and 8 ti skewers. Since all this craft beer now comes in cans, I'm up to about 148, mostly in the mid-section.. hehe

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Not to hijack the thread but how does a rope tree "strap" /tree-hugger preserve any of the tree conserving properties of the already small webbing huggers

To the OP if you choose the Line+Strap Suspension you can keep using the Tree-Straps later ,
    and you can make your own though short whoopies.
    I'm shure Brandon could actually send you a little longer suspension line so you can use them for whoopies, if you ask nicely.

Though for a weight-weenie setup Dynaglide-Whoopies are probably the lightest choice in whoopies

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast