Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

My first DIY hammock

I am going to be using the great instructions here for making a gathered end hammock. Wife picked up 6 yards of black 1.9 oz ripstop. I will be making the hammock tomorrow. I also found a ready made mosquito net. It will do for now.

With no source for Ammsteel close by and a dead line for using the hammock this weekend. What suggestions do you guys have for a temp ridgeline? I do have some mule tape to use for the suspension. I also have some stuff for the tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    In a pinch, you could use some 550 paracord, it does stretch a bit but you are going to be tuning in a length for a bit to find your sweet spot. Use a taught line or figure 9 till you find the length you need, then you could hit the Amsteel or Zingit.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    caleath, go with the muletape, I've been hanging on it for months with no problems. My indoor hammock is hanging on it now. What I have is rated at 1850#, it is slick so check your knots and half hitch to lock. I'm in the process of making a new amsteel SLS( single line suspension) and only saving a few oz over the muletape. The important thing is to go and enjoy.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    For a ridgeline 550 paracord is ok. Even if it snapped you wouldn't land on the ground.

Don't know what style hammock you plan to make but if your 6 yards of material is to make two of them you might find the end product to be kind of small.

Best wishes with the project.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    For a ridgeline 550 paracord is ok. Even if it snapped you wouldn't land on the ground.

Don't know what style hammock you plan to make but if your 6 yards of material is to make two of them you might find the end product to be kind of small.

Best wishes with the project.
    Agreed. I use 4 yards on each of my hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered end
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sorry I did post she was getting me enough for 2 didnt I?

She only got 6 yards. Not sure why, but I am on call this week and couldnt go with her. At least I will have some left over for making sacks etc.

So If I am 6'4", and Knotty is 6'2" ,,,,trying to figure out how long to make it. I am thinking of 12 feet. Any reason not to?

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caleath View Post

She only got 6 yards. Not sure why, but I am on call this week and couldnt go with her. At least I will have some left over for making sacks etc.

So If I am 6'4", and Knotty is 6'2" ,,,,trying to figure out how long to make it. I am thinking of 12 feet. Any reason not to?
    12' is ok, but on the long side. A longer hammock lets you lay flatter, but takes a bigger site to hang it from, and weighs more. I make all mine 11'. That way I buy 4yds, and get the cashier to cut off 1' from the end, giving me 11' for hammock, and 1' for making the stuff sack.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by caleath View Post

Just checked the last gathered end I made. It's 10' between the "knobs" and if memory serves me right the original raw length of the material was 10'6". My structural ridge line is 100" between the knobs.

The camo hammock in my DIY instructions was longer, maybe a raw material length of 11' or 11'6". It's super comfy but fitting it under a tarp becomes a problem. The 10 footer is very comfortable anyway.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered end
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the help fellas...I was at boyscouts until very late and didnt get back to it. Hopefully tomorrow night is quiet. I sure want to be able to use it this coming weekend on our canoe trip.

Life of an Assistant Scoutmaster is never dull.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    May need to get a gunny sack to transport it lol. I guess only issues are weight and tree distance... My son is 6'0-6'1 and he is in a 11' (raw material) hammock, 108" ridgeline, and he lays pretty flat. Don't know what a bonus length would do for him... I guess the lay kinda depends on your width also. I assume 60"?
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

• + New Posts