Modified eole' 'maison du hamac'
    Tarp
    auscam hootchie
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    5mm webbing tapes

Mosquito Net Help?

Hey guys, Im trying to mod my hammock so it has a built in mosquito net with zips down the sides similar to a WBBB but Im having trouble when it comes to attaching the net to the hammock. Have any of you done this and can you offer some advice for a simple way to get the right shape and easy sewing?

Dave

Interested also

I'm also following this thread to see how people suggest doing it. Do you need to have a fixed ridgeline or is a adjustable ridgelind doable too.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Try these directions, hope that helps.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    not directions per say but it is possible. check out the pictures in this thread and hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25821

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    This thread has a good graphic on how to measure net and all. Thanks to HC4U!

One thing I feel is critical is the ridgeline. The rl maintains the proper distance so as not to stress the netting material. And you need to determine the rl distance before starting on your net, so the math works out. From there its just cut and sew.

If you want pockets or extras, just add the numbers up so your rl distance is right, and the perimeter of the net equals the total distance of the hammock fabric + seam allowances.

You can do a netted hammock without a rl, but the net will need to be looser (floppy).

Check the stickies at the start of each forum, they contain lots of valuable info.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hate to keep putting this out there, as I am starting to think I am the only one lol. But...

My DIY uses a shock cord internal ridgeline. Fully tight, the hammock top opening is 7'6". I have two rings that the shock cord attaches to inside the gathers. (My whoopies attach to them.) The ridgeline just adjusts itself. It holds up the net. I can adjust my hammock lower (looser) or higher (tighter) with the whoopies. I never have to mess with the ridgeline. The body of the hammock bears all the weight, in the case of my current one around 1000 #'s. As for the netting, set up your hammock, and measure the length, up and over the ridgeline for the width, and cut out using something to form a long oval. I am on the wrong computer for pics. Hang on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hippofeet; 07-24-2011 at 20:23.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    As for sewing, if you can, baste ( hand stitch or liquid ) the zipper to the netting with the zipper teeth facing IN, then flip it over and sew with the zipper ribbon up. That way, you are sewing through the zipper ribbon and two layers of netting, and it is easy to keep the netting in control, and keep nice even lines. If you sew a hem on the net, then sew on the zipper, it is very difficult to keep from making messy stitch lines, that cross over one another. Tulle is difficult to run through the feed dogs, but it can be done. I would not use it, there are better things for net. Honestly, I am still working on an order of operations that lets me do this perfectly every time. I still have difficulty at the tight curves. But this way got me stitch lines I would give to a friend, but not quite sell. I will be following this thread also.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Tarp
    auscam hootchie
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    5mm webbing tapes
    Some good ideas there! Now all I have to think is do I want a triangle sape or a curve shape? lol. Anyone know if theres any real differences with each?

The main problem I had when I tried was the top edge of the netting near the ridgeline was so tight when I got in it snapped. I think I measured that bit wrong.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    I think you want to go with the triangle shape or more exact a parallelogram. measure the length of your ridgeline, the lay in your hammock and measure from the ridge line to the edge of the hammock at the widest point. Double that number and add a few inches for hems and what not and that will tell you how wide the the netting should be, the length should be easy to figure out. HC4U's sticky on how to make the HH clone is helpful for this. I also found it easier to when sewing the netting to the zipper and hammock body that it was easier to fold it over and sandwich it between the hammock body/zipper and some grosgrain with a double stitch. Made me feel a little better about it being so flimsy.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    Tarp
    auscam hootchie
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    5mm webbing tapes
    Well Ive done all the measurements, now all I need is some more voile because I ran out on the last go. haha.

• + New Posts