WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together Duane, really good video, looks like a great piece of gear!

Cheers
    Thanks! I appreciate that! I've gotten so much great information from this forum, I'm happy to share whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    The drawing clears everything up perfectly. Thanks!

I might have to try my hand at this great piece of gear.
    Thanks! Maybe we can have a huge "Camp Seat Hang" someday

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Completed DIY Gear Hammock & Camp Chair

Below are a few photos of my completed camo (stealth for me! )Gear Hammock & Camp Chair. I ended up using regular Amsteel whoopee slings I made as that's what I had on hand. In the end that you will see the weight penalty is not severe.

Here's the finished hammock/camp chair:

Since I had sewed up my hammock before receiving the tip about sewing in the GG for stress relief on the 1/16" shock cords, I ended up putting a small slit in the channel, burning some very small holes, and installing some 5/32" grommets from the fabric store. They turned out well with very, very little weight penalty.

For the self storage pouch, I had previously made up a few pouches, so I just sewed in one of those . It's got the white string with the black spring lock.

The final weight with the Amsteel suspension cords and 1/16" shock cord is 3.8 oz. This is quite acceptable for my use (primarily motorcycle camping using my dual sport).

For the whoopie slings, I made my own using the video by Mathowes1 on Youtube. It was my first time to make these up, and it was a fun project.

Again, my thanks to JustDuane for the great videos and encouragement to sew up another helpful hammock camping accessory. Now my riding gear can have a dry and protected storage place while I'm sleeping.
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Definitely making one of these soon. Haven't made a full size hammock yet so this seems like the perfect trial project before hand.

Tree Straps

Tonight I scored a pair of near new black ratchet straps at the local thrift store. I made a pair of tree straps and put them in my hammock chair bag. The total weight is now only 8.8 oz (or 5 oz for the tree straps). That's going to work for me to keep everything together.
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Below are a few photos of my completed camo (stealth for me! )Gear Hammock & Camp Chair.
    That's a great looking rig, Timmer! I just got back from an overnighter, and as I was sitting in my chair making breakfast this morning, I was thinking about how great it was just to have a comfy place in the piney woods.

Glad yours turned out so well!

Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    Definitely making one of these soon. Haven't made a full size hammock yet so this seems like the perfect trial project before hand.
    That's true. Once you put one together, you really start to have an idea how it all works. Only thing that this won't help you with is the gathered-end knot, but hey, gotta start somewhere

Looking forward to seeing yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Tonight I scored a pair of near new black ratchet straps at the local thrift store. I made a pair of tree straps and put them in my hammock chair bag. The total weight is now only 8.8 oz (or 5 oz for the tree straps). That's going to work for me to keep everything together.
    Only thing better than building it yourself is building it yourself with stuff that you found as a bargain!

SN

Duane I have to thank you so much for sharing this with us and with such incredible detail. I'm just getting into the DIY stuff and have to admit I was a bit apprehensive on whether or not I could pull off making my own gear. But after watching these videos of your ultra versatile gear (which i just HAD to have! it's so cool!!!) I had my mothers old sewing machine serviced, ordered some mats, and went to town. The detail you gave made it rather simple after some planning.

I now have my very own hammock chair/bench/packcover/etc etc etc and my very first DIY gear to boot! Just finished it and tried it out today and it rocks.

Thanks again mate!

Edit: By the way, for all of you out there interested in trying your hand at some DIY projects, I found this to be an excellent small starter project. Go for it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit View Post
    Duane I have to thank you so much for sharing this with us and with such incredible detail. I'm just getting into the DIY stuff and have to admit I was a bit apprehensive on whether or not I could pull off making my own gear. But after watching these videos of your ultra versatile gear (which i just HAD to have! it's so cool!!!) I had my mothers old sewing machine serviced, ordered some mats, and went to town. The detail you gave made it rather simple after some planning.

I now have my very own hammock chair/bench/packcover/etc etc etc and my very first DIY gear to boot! Just finished it and tried it out today and it rocks.

Thanks again mate!

Edit: By the way, for all of you out there interested in trying your hand at some DIY projects, I found this to be an excellent small starter project. Go for it!
    I'm really glad to hear that the videos helped you get your own creation together. Stories like yours make the time of putting them together all worth it.

As you know, though, the forum rule is that if there aren't photos, it didn't happen

Thanks for the really kind words, congrats on entering the world of DIY and let's see a picture of your kit!

SN

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Finally had the time and material to put together a hammock chair. Mine was made with 1.9 oz ripstop from our local Hancock's. I use straps and descender rings for my hammock suspension and has a set of steel rings on hand. They'll get switched out for a set of SMC aluminum rings as soon as I can get to our local REI. Gotta order a shorter set of straps too...

Anyway, here's a pic...

Sits pretty nice!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks awesome!! Is your ripstop sil-nylon or untreated? I ask because if it's untreated, is it slippery at all to sit in?

SN

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Thanks! My ripstop was untreated. Its not as slippery as sil but you still slide.

Its comfortable though...comfortable enough that I dozed off for a bit when the afternoon sun hit me just right...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast