Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp tie-outs

Images

Tarp tie-outs

I want to do something about my tarp tie-outs. The taut line hitch I am currently using is just too inconvenient.

On the Lunar Solo by Six Moon Designs (which is a really nice tarp tent, btw, as far as ground accomodations go), Ron Moak is using 1/2" grosgrain tie-outs with a ladder lock attached to the tent. I found this incredible convenient to use and was wondering how well it would work for a tarp.

I was thinking about attaching the plastic ladder lock buckles under the eight side tie-outs on my tarp, and putting a 16" length of grosgrain ribbon with a loop sewn in the end on each one. I could either put a stake directly through this loop, or attach any length of rope I need in case I want to pitch further off the ground. The 16" grosgrain should provide plenty of adjustment for tightening the tarp, and would probably not add significantly more weight than a line tightener gizmo. Plus, it would also solve the issues I have had with my lines tangling.

Has anybody done this? Any thoughts on whether this will work well for a tarp?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I want to do something about my tarp tie-outs. The taut line hitch I am currently using is just too inconvenient.

On the Lunar Solo by Six Moon Designs (which is a really nice tarp tent, btw, as far as ground accomodations go), Ron Moak is using 1/2" grosgrain tie-outs with a ladder lock attached to the tent. I found this incredible convenient to use and was wondering how well it would work for a tarp.

I was thinking about attaching the plastic ladder lock buckles under the eight side tie-outs on my tarp, and putting a 16" length of grosgrain ribbon with a loop sewn in the end on each one. I could either put a stake directly through this loop, or attach any length of rope I need in case I want to pitch further off the ground. The 16" grosgrain should provide plenty of adjustment for tightening the tarp, and would probably not add significantly more weight than a line tightener gizmo. Plus, it would also solve the issues I have had with my lines tangling.

Has anybody done this? Any thoughts on whether this will work well for a tarp?
    it does sound interesting. ladderlocks are a very convenient way to tighten & loosen.
    judging by the force ive used tightening straps down that held sleeping bags & other stuff to the top or bottom of my pack, i'd guess it would hold in windy conditions, but i'm wondering if the grosgrain would hold as well as the webbing? scientific test anyone???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

Look at the bottom of this page and you will find the line locs that work with cord instead of ribbon.

Images
    i've found some 1/2" hardware like that to be much more suited to heavier stuff like 1/2" flat weave nylon, where 1/2" ggr tends to not be as secure, obviously some hardware is compatible with the ggr if 6 moon uses it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    it does sound interesting. ladderlocks are a very convenient way to tighten & loosen.
    judging by the force ive used tightening straps down that held sleeping bags & other stuff to the top or bottom of my pack, i'd guess it would hold in windy conditions, but i'm wondering if the grosgrain would hold as well as the webbing? scientific test anyone???
    If ladderlocks are what I think they are, I have them on a Stephenson's tent that hold a lot of tension and I think Granite Gear has a tarp that has something like that on them. But I have used shockcord for a number of years to help keep my tarps reasonably taut overnight and have had good results with that approach. I usually can just set it up and forget it... usually, but sometimes that nylon stuff can stretch and stretch and stretch when it gets wet under tension.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's a good point about the nylon stretching.

Images
    I weighed some 1/2" grosgrain and ladderlocks last night. The buckles are just under 1g each, and the grosgrain is just under 1g/ft. For eight tie-outs, the whole setup would come in well under 1oz.

slowhike, what should I scientifically test for? I can put together a tie-out and pull on it in an MTS test frame. I can record force vs. elongation and failure load. What load rating do you need for a tarp?

My non-scientific test last night consisted of simply pulling on it by hand. It seemed plenty strong.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

Look at the bottom of this page and you will find the line locs that work with cord instead of ribbon.
    Have you tried those? Do they work well? What kind of rope did you use?

I still like the grosgrain for reducing/eliminating tangles, but I might give those a try.

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    I use the MSR cord tensioners and reflective guy line on my set up. Makes setting up a breeze and you can tension the lines quickly if the weather turns while stargazing.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Cord-Tensi.../dp/B000PWBD1S

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I
    slowhike, what should I scientifically test for? I can put together a tie-out and pull on it in an MTS test frame. I can record force vs. elongation and failure load. What load rating do you need for a tarp?

My non-scientific test last night consisted of simply pulling on it by hand. It seemed plenty strong.
    what i was wondering about was if the thin grosgrain would hold as well as the webbing.
    but more importantly, would the grosgrain slip or the buckle fail in hard wind gusts.
    but then judging the force of wind gusts one might encounter would be a real guessing game???

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast