tarp help please

HI folks,
    I'm new to all this and am looking for a tarp to pitch over my hammock. I'm considering taking my hammock on my AT thru-hike (starting in June) so the lighter the better. I use an ENO double-nest and was wondering what size I should be looking at. I found a Granite Gear 8x10 and a Kelty 9x9 both fairly priced, but both at 22 oz. too small? too heavy? any feedback is appreciated.
    thanks!

maccat, jrb are popular options. wish I had something other than the stock one.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaemac View Post
    any feedback is appreciated.
    Most popular choices -

MacCat Deluxe

Speer Winter Tarp

JRB 11x10
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Also available, but a little pricey, is the 11 x 12 silnylon Hennessy Hex tarp. (look down the page a bit...)
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 03-20-2008 at 09:47.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    HI folks,
    I'm new to all this and am looking for a tarp to pitch over my hammock. I'm considering taking my hammock on my AT thru-hike (starting in June) so the lighter the better. I use an ENO double-nest and was wondering what size I should be looking at. I found a Granite Gear 8x10 and a Kelty 9x9 both fairly priced, but both at 22 oz. too small? too heavy? any feedback is appreciated.
    thanks!
    I personally like the coverage of an 8x10 tarp in warm weather. Some use even smaller tarps that basically have the corners removed to save some weight not only with the tarp material but the number of stakes required as well. You have shapes that are basically rectangular, hexagonal, and diamond shaped. It gets to be a tradeoff of coverage and flexibility versus weight and complexity. More coverage means more weight and more flexibility means more complexity.

The weights you listed sound a little bit on the heavy side for silnylon tarps, are you counting seam sealing, stakes, guyline, and stuff sacks with those weights?

In cool weather I like a larger tarp to help with wind, but starting in June, my first question would be what are you using for insects?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    HI folks,
    thanks!
    Kaemac,

recent thread had some good info on this subject.... no need to be over 10 oz for good coverage.... /www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3617

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF kaemac. sounds like you've already got the best advice.
    you have at least a couple hammockers near by. we'll be glad to try & help if we can. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Youngblood hit on some great points. I think typically people use a bigger size tarp for winter conditions when you might expect more rain and more time spent under the tarp, and a smaller (lighter) one for the dryer conditions of summer. I have 2 tarps. If the weather looks favorable, I'll take my 5 x 9 tarp. If I'm expecting wet conditions, then I'll take my 10 x 10. But keep in mind I'm not thru hiking, I'm just doing 2-6 day trips. Also when my son goes with me, we can both fit our hammocks under the 10 x 10. If I had to choose one tarp for all conditions, I would choose an 8 x 10 or something close to that. But I prefer to set it up ala Speer style in a rectagular fashion as opposed to a diamond formation. So you might need to decide which of those styles you think you'll prefer. Some manufacturers round the dimensions of their finished product up substancially, so if you think the advertised dimensions are already close to bordering on the smaller size, ask for the actual "finished" dimensions. I see a trend recently for bigger "winter" size tarps. They sure are nice when you need to hang out under them, but they come with the extra weight penalty. Something to consider for a thru.

• + New Posts