Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Test Hang of the HH

Well, now that I own a hammock, I thought it only be prudent to be a HF member.

My name is Brandon, but the handle is Ramius (Marco Ramius - Hunt for Red October). I have been a canoe tripper here in Ontario Canada since a child and continue these trips even still. I love the outdoors and starting to enjoy hammocks.

I am planning more SOLO canoe trips in the future and have decided the weight and pack size and no poles of a hammock is a great solution. I bought a Hennessy Expedition Zip (Not a fan of the womb hammock) from MEC (Canada REI) this week.

I set this up in my back yard (albeit my wife thought I was weird for sleeping in it last night) and believe I may enjoy this hammocking thing. It setup pretty easy, but before purchasing this, I have seen a million ways of hanging this unit. Before I get to modding everything too far, I decided to use the two ascender rings on the provided straps and keep the factory ropes for now.

I had to fart around with the provided rain fly as I didn't feel it was really big enough to keep the rain out. As I found this wasn't an issue at all during the thunderstorm we had last night. I wanted to really test this before my trip next weekend.

I stuffed my Big Agnes insulated pad blown up about half. Boy what a PAIN! I farted with this too for some time before I got it underneath me and laying asym. Once I got this sorted the sleep was good, although broken by the large claps of thunder.

Part way thru the night I did have to get out re-establish the mat and try again. I wont bring this mat on the trip seeing as we are going to be in 15-20c weather for lows and I was uber warm with only my +5c sleeping bag ontop of me. If anything I was too hot.

Anyway - a big thanks to all of you who helped thru videos articles etc in choosing my hammock.

Ramius

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    welcome to the forums from SC. glad you enjoyed your hennessy. and unless you change to whoopie slings then alot of us hennessy guys still use the garda hitch with the descending rings.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I think you should consider hauling that pad along anyway. It doesn't take long to get a cold back through a hammock. maybe grab a thin ccf one - I think MEC carries a 1/4" (6 mm) model. That or do up a homemade underquilt. I made mine out of an army surplus poncho liner. Where I camped that wasn't enough so I slept on a half full thermarest. The thermarest alone also wasn't enough because I got cold shoulders.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ramius View Post
    I stuffed my Big Agnes insulated pad blown up about half. Boy what a PAIN! I farted with this too for some time before I got it underneath me and laying asym. Once I got this sorted the sleep was good, although broken by the large claps of thunder.......................

Ramius
    Well known facts about pad use confirmed once again! Every one with a pad needs
    1: SPE or
    2: JRB Bridge hammock or at least:
    3: other double layer hammock.

Welcome, and glad you ended up sleeping good!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums from another Ontarian!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts