Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    No you wouldn't need anything else but the dutch clip makes it easier/faster to attach your tree straps without needing to knot it or sew a loop on one end plus easier to adjust when I hook my pack to the tree straps.

I threaded a continuous Loop of Amsteel with a d-ring through the end channels of my hammock and tied it off by just pulling the d-ring through the loop. You can easily make them or if your lazy like me buy them from someone like { Whoppiesling.com } Then just tie the whoppiesling to the d-ring and put the other end over your marlinspike knot on the tree strap.

I'm liking that method only because it looks cleaner to tie the ridge line to the d-rings (which weigh like nothing - 04oz) or anything else I might need. But you could easily just learn the proper knots to tie the tree-strap to the tree and then the whoopiesling to the hammock.

I use the same hammock and like it a lot.

here is my setup for it:

First thing I did was to get rid of the OEM s hooks and rope and replaced that with a 10" continuous loop made out of amsteel blue mated to an ascending aluminum ring. The ring weight next to nothing and makes for a quick setup / connect / disconnect etc... it will
    also act as water barrier should any H2O travel down your suspension line.

I use two tree straps made out of tubular webbing (either 1" or 9/16") I have two sets, one is 4 feet the other is 6 feet long.

I use two aluminum toggles made out of a tent pole repair tube (3" long each)

I made a couple of different lenght whoppie slings, 3', 6, 9'. Use one of the longer ones as my ridge line or combine two of the smaller ones when the bing ones are in use.

watch shug's video for noobs on how to setup a marlin spike hitch and it will all come together like a dream.

Larger pics here.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

I just bought this hammock (skeeter beeter version) and cant get even remotely comfortable in it. If I get to a point of my spine being relatively flat, my feet and head are off the sides, and I'm only 6'1"!. I have it on a tripod setup like so and despite my adjustments I cant imagine using this in the jungle (what I bought it for) comfortably, using the bugnet.

Thoughts? just experiment with the hangle or acquire a wider hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 10x12
    Images
    I ordered the goods, cant wait to hang it.
    Whats the best way to tie the tree straps?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You didnt watch the videos did you?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 10x12
    Images
    doublepost

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 10x12
    Images
    I did a couple times, thanks for posting them. But the only technique I saw was running it through the factory sewn loop on one end and that looked kind of iffy. If there was another example sorry I missed it, it takes 1/2hr to load on my old computer so its hard to go back.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    If you dont want to pull your suspension line through the sewn channel, you can pull any small cord through the channel and pull it tight to gather it , go around the fabric once with each end then tie your favourite knot to hold it together.

Now just larks-head your whoopiesling to the hammock right below the fabric ball from the gather

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    Quote Originally Posted by ippon View Post
    I ordered the goods, cant wait to hang it.
    Whats the best way to tie the tree straps?
    My favorite is to not knot it I use a Dutch Clip on the tree straps instead of a knot or a sewn loop and camaraderie. It's fast and easy.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I recently got a GT UL and replaced the suspension with Whoopies. I just ran the Whoopie through the channel in the hammock and locked it down. Simple and light.

I also use 2 6 ft tree huggers and toggles. It is a super easy set-up, and again, about as light as I can think of...

However, I too question if it is ok to simply thread the tree hugger through the looped end. Initially I wanted to get some Dutch clips, but Whoopie Slings does not sell them. So, I ended up getting 2 of the biners. However, once it arrived, I realized that it is simple and easy to skip the biners (or Dutch Clip) and do like others have suggested. Thread the strap through one end and done.

So, is this safe to do? Will this affect the life or holding power of the straps? I do have the biners, but for the sake of being lighter, I would rather not use them if threading them through the straps is a-ok.
    Jus' Sayin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast