Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

WTB: Cheaper Beginner Tarp

Just venturing into the hammock world with my new ENO. It is blistering hot out here during this heat wave and I figured I'd have the possibility of doing an overnighter in my hammock if I had a tarp.

For right now, I don't need anything too fancy, just in search of a tarp that's made from silnylon (or some light treated material) that is the appropriate dimensions with some tie outs for a diamond or an A frame.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    For right now, I don't need anything too fancy, just in search of a tarp that's made from silnylon (or some light treated material) that is the appropriate dimensions with some tie outs for a diamond or an A frame.
    I'd suggest looking at the Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp of their Big Daddy. Either one should handle your needs and bother are under $100.

http://www.wildernesslogics.com/

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I'd suggest looking at the Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp of their Big Daddy. Either one should handle your needs and bother are under $100.

http://www.wildernesslogics.com/

Cheers

Brian
    Thanks for the tip . I think I'll be ordering the Big Daddy tarp from this place...I was looking at the Noah 12 but I like the cut of the Big Daddy better and it offers more coverage.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    i dont think its made outa silnylon but searching the web i saw a noah kelty....kelty noah 12 for sale bout 49 bucks.........ima go search for it again and try to edit the post in here..

disclaimer.....i havent orderd from this site nor have i done any looking into to see if they are "ghetto" in their buisiness practices... but here:
    http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/KLTN...ci_sku=KLTNT12

this i guess is light to me, as people who veiwed my modular top quilt question.... 7 lbs..... hypothetical atm. but thats off topic.
    Last edited by Ears; 07-27-2011 at 11:31. Reason: I found it!
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    well then heres the question i pose to you sir. with that kelty12 would i be able to utilize it with a HH UL in an A frame config?

i myself am still in the tarpage hunt but .....well i was going for the eno dryfly if that tells you anything about my knowledge in tarpology.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    well then heres the question i pose to you sir. with that kelty12 would i be able to utilize it with a HH UL in an A frame config?

i myself am still in the tarpage hunt but .....well i was going for the eno dryfly if that tells you anything about my knowledge in tarpology.
    Not sure if you're asking me but I'll bite

Based on what I've read and seen on videos on the Kelty, the way the tarp is cut may not exactly allow you to utilize it as an A-Frame setup. However, being that the tarp (Noah 12) is a 12x12 tarp, this should have good coverage for your HH UL.

Now, for the Eno dryfly, again from what I have read here and other sources, most people think the cuts on the dryfly are a bit drastic and sacrifices coverage. If I personally was choose between the Kelty or the Eno, I may have to go with the Kelty...again this is just what I would purchase if given only those two options.

I hope that helps and by no means I am I an expert, I am merely a padiwan in this whole Hammock business. I am n00b on all Hammock things, I just read a lot

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Nothing too fancy" and silnyl seem mutually exclusive when combined with "cheaper tarp." Either bite bullet now and get a tarp you will keep for life... You'll end up with more than one anyway... Or go the cheap route and get something workable and/or free like discarded tyvek.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    no that about sounds like the resounding truth that is part of this hammock forum...

but i (for some reason unbeknownst to myself) have an apprehension on the diamond configs.....specially the asym... mainly because i read they arent very forgiving...and altho i pride myself on a short learning curve...it sure is a steep one.. learn hard learn once? i would like to skip that for my hammock endevor

thanks mangus

price wise i found the kelty at 50(+s/h? idk) and the dryfly at round 68 inc s/h (no longer looking to purchase just a ref on cost avail)

im just wondering if theres a hawt tarp that doesnt have to be the thinnest...i know thick tarps need lovin too....

im trying to keep it modest wise so i can end up getting all those winter goodies ima need to have fun frollicking in the winter wonder land
    Last edited by Ears; 07-27-2011 at 12:11. Reason: for clarification i AM NOT getting the eno

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    If you are going to use it in an A-frame pitch , something like a 10x12 is good. If you want cheap, go to the hardware store and buy a 10x12 blue poly tarp (I found a brown one that is easier on the eyes). The cheaper tarps are lighter too. String it up and go campin'. You don't get a catenary cut, so it isn't as stable in heavy wind; other than that, the rain can't tell the difference.

Then you can wait like a spider for Real Deal to come long. There have been a couple used tarps for sale here in the last few days. More will come. The Gear Swap forum at Backpackinglight.com is a good source for used too. As people swap out to Cuben tarps, you will see used silnylon and spinnaker cloth tarps hitting the market.

I have a 10x12 poly tarp that is 24oz without rigging. That is just a couple ounces more than a Hennessy PU coated Hex tarp, and it was $6 on sale. Add some line and cheap aluminum Y stakes and you have a tarp system.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    thats good stuff dale. ima check that site out as well.
    thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast