Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

John Muir Trail

I have made plans with some others in Kokomo, IN to do the JMT beginning on August 22nd.
    I plan on taking my Claytor, MacCat Tarp and two quilts plus a pad for using my Claytor as a bivy where there is nowhere to hang. I will hang anywhere I can but I don't want to limit everyone else's campsites to ones with trees. Has anyone out there used their hammock on the ground at times? (I can hear the Boo's from here). But this will be reality on the trail. It is 210 miles from Yosemite to Mount Whitney via the top of the Sierras.
    I would like all the advice I can get. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    I can't say for the time of year, but I heard after a certain time bugs are not an issue at all on the JMT. So you may not have to do the whole bivy thing.

If I were to bivy I would put a ground sheet down, then try with holding the ends up with my trekking poles. Besides, clear nights are great for cowboying.

Sounds like a great hike. Enjoy I'm jealous.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I've practiced the set up a few times and decided to have pre cut--pre tied cord of the proper length cord in a small ziploc when entering hostile ground.

About 9 years ago I worked as a bc ranger in Sequoia NP. June-July west of the Kern with bugs.... bad at Little Five and a few other places

Then Aug-Sept east of the Kern including CrabTree along the JMT. I was using a MegaMid and do not recall major bug difficulty
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Pretty much of a newbie here. I've have been out with my hammock about a dozen times, all in the Sierra. The mosquitoes are usually on their way out in August and should be mostly gone by September.

I've had to use the hammock as a bivy once, mainly for added warmth rather than bug protection, and it worked out just fine. Didn't support the ends of the hammock and the netting laying on top of my quilt didn't really bother me. But HE has a good point that you could also be fine with cowboy camping. Should be a fantastic trip. It might be interesting to report back what fraction of the time you end up on the ground.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum egull.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanks HC4U! I've learned a lot from the forums and really appreciate the collective wisdom here. Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

Smile

Hi Mule--

Advice?
    Do it ... extreemely lovely.

I worked in and near the Whitney area in Aug thru Sep. Sep had a long cold damp spell with sleet and stuff for over a week.

If you've been to altitude before then you know ... if not learn before you go. You might try Diamox just before and for the first few days.

Trees are sufficient in some areas but others are almost barren ... if you were on your own or with other hangers, you could probably hang almost every night.

Crabtree Ranger Station(Park side of Whitney) at about 10-7 has enough trees as does the camping area near the trail intersection lower down. Guitar Lake at about 12-5 recall has virtually no trees and recall that Consolation Lake in the Nat Forest on the other side of Whitney shoulder also does not.

The area between Crabtree and north to the next ranger station(forget the name) I recall has sufficient trees.... then it is fairly bare for some miles to the north and over the pass.

PCT website prolly has good info.

I worked there one of the last years BRCs were not required. I would've continued except that something happened to me that at that altitude would've amplified a vision problem.

How are you doing food drops?

the other advice is to get a good guide book and since you are hiking north to south you'll be looking in the sun.

First rate sunglasses that filter the bad stuff.

First Rate Brimmed Hat.

I used and liked a long sleeve grayish-greenish Ex Officio Airstrip shirt for my uniform and cut the side panels out so air could get in .. cool, protects from the sun ... $. These still are my fav hiking shirts.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-29-2008 at 14:28. Reason: Identified location of Crabtree
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Hi Mule--

Advice?
    Do it ... extreemely lovely.

I worked in and near the Whitney area in Aug thru Sep. Sep had a long cold damp spell with sleet and stuff for over a week.

If you've been to altitude before then you know ... if not learn before you go. You might try Diamox just before and for the first few days.

Trees are sufficient in some areas but others are almost barren ... if you were on your own or with other hangers, you could probably hang almost every night.

Crabtree Ranger Station(Park side of Whitney) at about 10-7 has enough trees as does the camping area near the trail intersection lower down. Guitar Lake at about 12-5 recall has virtually no trees and recall that Consolation Lake in the Nat Forest on the other side of Whitney shoulder also does not.

The area between Crabtree and north to the next ranger station(forget the name) I recall has sufficient trees.... then it is fairly bare for some miles to the north and over the pass.

PCT website prolly has good info.

I worked there one of the last years BRCs were not required. I would've continued except that something happened to me that at that altitude would've amplified a vision problem.

How are you doing food drops?

the other advice is to get a good guide book and since you are hiking north to south you'll be looking in the sun.

First rate sunglasses that filter the bad stuff.

First Rate Brimmed Hat.

I used and liked a long sleeve grayish-greenish Ex Officio Airstrip shirt for my uniform and cut the side panels out so air could get in .. cool, protects from the sun ... $. These still are my fav hiking shirts.
    Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. I think I am going to back out going for this year. The rules and regulations really give me pause. I am so torn about this, but when the time is right it will, well, be right. I also have that same ExOfficianado shirt. Steve
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Sorry about that.....bet it's those bear-can rules.

Fact is folks there is mostly dumb and the bears are 'highly experienced'. I'd never seen a place where more food was separated more frequently from folks by bears.
    Lots of stories ... "Did you hear the ones about the boy scouts and the bears ...." ad nauseum.

A great alternative about your scheduled time (post most skeeters) is the 93 mile Wonderland Trail loop around Mt Rainier and or its 33 mile Northern Loop. Typically 6 to 10 day range for the main trail and 3-4 for the other.... no bear cans required. Trees in all but 1 or 2 easily avoided campsites ....tho rangers prob haven't seen many if any hangers.

Transportation to from SEATAC I believe is still available.

If you or anyone is interested I'll do a planning thread.

Airstrip Shirt -- cut the bottom off about level with the side slits ... hem it.

Edit-- if you check the park website you will learn how to have the park pre position your food drops at a couple of locations which turns out to be 2-4 day intervals for most people.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-30-2008 at 02:28. Reason: stash stuff

• + New Posts