BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

strap extender use question

Dummy strap extender question. Kayak camping a lot lately on an island, hanging between a fat monster tree and a little skinny tree. Tired of the extra bulk and weight of using two long tree straps around the monster tree. Planning to make an amsteel tree strap extender with two locked brummel loops, one on each end. So, on the strap that's not big enough to wrap around the fat tree, I assume I larks-head the extender to the one tree strap sewn loop, and then do I just pass the extender through the sewn loop at the other end of the tree strap, and then run the remaining length of the strap extender out to connect with my hammock suspension? Or do I use a soft shackle or biner to connect the second end of the extension to the second sewn loop end on the tree strap, and then attach my hammock suspension to the middle of the amsteel that spans between the tree strap's two sewn ends? If I just pass the second end of the extender through the second end of the tree strap, is a marlin spike hitch and a trail stick workable on amsteel 7/64? I use the marlin spike method when I'm attaching my whoopies to my tree straps, but I didn't know if it is applicable to the small diameter of Amsteel 7/64. Forgive my dummy state of mind. Thanks for any info.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    what i do is larkshead the amsteel extender to the tree strap, and use the amsteel as the 'starting point'. the webbing then becomes the working end and passes through the other amsteel eye

blue= amsteel
    black= webbing
    red= toggle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Rip is on the right road, The only thing that I would do different is that if you need to use an extension then use as much webbing as possible around the tree to prevent damage to it and use the extension from the webbing towards the hammock. This means you are putting your spike hitch w toggle in the extension or using the tail of the extension as your attachment point but that saves the tree from getting loaded and potentially damaged by the thiner extension. My $0.02
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

marlin spike ok in amsteel?

Thanks Pgibson. Agreed to save the tree from damage. So is a Marlin SPike hitch in amsteel ok with a trail stick? For some reason I'm thinking that the small cord would form a smaller lump for the whoopies to grab onto and maybe make a danger that the whoopie would slip off the marlin spike cordage and onto the trail stick and snap the stick and I'll crack my coconut head open. I like the nice bulky lump that the strap makes when it forms the marlin spike hitch. Also, would the thin amsteel compress down so tightly on the stick that I would have to find really fresh hardwood sticks? I find with the straps I can even use semi-punky old soft trail sticks without any worry as long as the whoopies stays on the lump on the hitch and isn't being carried by the stick itself. I live in the land of punky trail sticks and all the good dried hardwood sticks to into my woodburning caldara cone stove to make my coffee!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Rip is on the right road, The only thing that I would do different is that if you need to use an extension then use as much webbing as possible around the tree to prevent damage to it and use the extension from the webbing towards the hammock. This means you are putting your spike hitch w toggle in the extension or using the tail of the extension as your attachment point but that saves the tree from getting loaded and potentially damaged by the thiner extension. My $0.02
    this is true. every situation is different, but paul is right...

"save a tree, wrap with webbing"

Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    Thanks Pgibson. Agreed to save the tree from damage. So is a Marlin SPike hitch in amsteel ok with a trail stick? For some reason I'm thinking that the small cord would form a smaller lump for the whoopies to grab onto and maybe make a danger that the whoopie would slip off the marlin spike cordage and onto the trail stick and snap the stick and I'll crack my coconut head open. I like the nice bulky lump that the strap makes when it forms the marlin spike hitch. Also, would the thin amsteel compress down so tightly on the stick that I would have to find really fresh hardwood sticks? I find with the straps I can even use semi-punky old soft trail sticks without any worry as long as the whoopies stays on the lump on the hitch and isn't being carried by the stick itself. I live in the land of punky trail sticks and all the good dried hardwood sticks to into my woodburning caldara cone stove to make my coffee!
    that is my main reason for "starting" with the extender... fear of a msh in amsteel.

this can be overcome if you use chainlinks and dutch biners at the hammock, and attach the adjustable eye of the whoopie to the dutch biner-
    in an inverted fashion. your fixed eye then becomes the attachment point near the tree- allowing a larkshead to the amsteel extender loop- without sacrificing adjustability.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 07-29-2011 at 14:51. Reason: i forgot about the DUTCH BINER
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    MSH can be a pain in amsteel, What I normally do is to put my toggle though the loop on the end of your extender. Of course I use a aluminum toggle. My extender is dynaglide and have hung fine on it a couple of times. The other get around would be to "pad" the extender with some sticks or downed bark around the tree so that your distributing the weight in the same manner that the webbing is intended to do.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts