Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New here, and to "serious" hammocks in general.

Hey I'm new here and have a question about pillows in hammocks. Anyone in peticular you guys go with? Of course the idea of lightweight is nice. I've owned a cocoon pillow and it started losing air. Any good ones y'all suggest? I did a search on tapatalk but the only post relevent to a pillow was someone selling one lol. Even went to REI and the guy was no help at all.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Tough question. I think you will find a wide range of answers. Some folks are fine without, some like a larger-full pillow and some like just a little bit under the neck.
    I started wtih an inflatable exped pillow (REI) ~3 oz and now use a Zpacks pillow dry sack so I can control the size and save some weight.
    Lots of the hammock vendors sell pillows - HG, AHE, ripstop by the roll (kit), wilderness logics, jacksRbetter and I'm sure lots more.

I'm using an eno double nest. I just don't want to spend $30+ on something I'm not going to like Lol

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    My choice is a small, rectangular pillow under my neck and I've heard others say that as well. Down compresses nicely, of course, but synthetic is easy to wash. I bought one from AHE but it was too hard. I opened it up and unrolled some of the filling. A nice feature is a length of shock cord with a mitten hook to clip to your Ridgeline. They have a nasty habit of slipping down.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a small rectangular pillow made by Field & Stream. It's not exactly lightweight, but it's very comfortable and compresses a bit into a stuff sack. I've thought of using a blow-up pillow, but never found one as comfortable as the pillow I'm currently using. Although, have you tried one of the U-shaped blow-up pillows like people use on airplanes? Were I ever to go to a blow-up pillow, it would probably be one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by P Chang View Post
    I use a small rectangular pillow made by Field & Stream. It's not exactly lightweight, but it's very comfortable and compresses a bit into a stuff sack. I've thought of using a blow-up pillow, but never found one as comfortable as the pillow I'm currently using. Although, have you tried one of the U-shaped blow-up pillows like people use on airplanes? Were I ever to go to a blow-up pillow, it would probably be one of those.
    I have thought of one of those as well. as the one who posted before you stated the pillows like to slip especially on the enos fabric.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    down puffer jacket stuffed in its bag works good for me. and the cheaper jackets can be found for low cost...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I've tried 3 pillows: a cheap on from academy, grand trunks pillow and Hammock Gear pillow. The only one I liked was HG's. The other two was too thick causing my chin to dig into my chest. HG's pillow compresses just the right amount for me and I like the shock cord that's included to attach it to your suspension so it stays in place.

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I have two self inflating, one off the internet paid 12.00 very compfortable, #2 magellan pillow got from academy around 18.00. My son and i use them and really like them.About 40 campouts with them and they work great.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are new to hammock hanging, you might find that you use a pillow, not so much for your head, but to put a little support under your knees. I start out at night with the pillow under one or both knees and I am mostly on my back. By morning, I'm a puddle of relaxation so I often move the pillow up to my head/shoulders, roll on my side and rest in that early morning, before I get out of bed, glow. If you consider the inflatable kind, you might want to try them out in the store. I found several made such a crinkly noise right next to my ear. I also don't like the nylon next to my skin. The best that worked for me was just a felt pillow case. You can put other clothes in it or fill it with a synthetic filled mini-pillow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast