DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Well I bought the strapworks.com stuff last night. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm not all that heavy at 6' - 190lb. Wish me luck.
    The way the system works you might be putting double that weight on the buckle. I would go with the JRB tri glide they are proven to hold up to human weight in a dynamic stress environment like hammock hanging. the worst that might happen is a shug esk butt plant from about a foot up. When you test this you should stay low incase there is failure and only hang as high as your willing to fall. Theres a lot of harm that can be done from a broken tail bone and no one wants that. Safe hanging!!

-JP
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Why not use a pair of descender rings at the hammock? I think you will find th eflat buckles you are looking at are thin metal really intended for keeping ends under control after a stronger buckle takes the load.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can I buy descender rings at any retail store? Are they heavy?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    same thing:
    http://www.rei.com/product/745608/om...ic-rappel-ring

what do you call heavy and what do you want to pay? I have aluminum ones I found at a discount climbing gear web page. Twice as much cost at a local climbing shop. OTOH any tack shop, farm supply, and many hardware stores have welded steel rings that would also work. Considerably cheaper but a bit heavier.

If weight is you goal I don't think you can beat whoopee slings. If it's simplicity I think it's rings and straps or a buckle and straps. The problem with any hardware is it has to be strong enough. I don't think most tri-glide buckles have it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just didn't want to end up getting heavier than those massive caribiners that the it came with.

I am not sure exactly how they work. My hammock has a cord that comes off it with a loop that was once where the caribiner was set. I took them off. Can i loop the strap through this loop and somehow use the ring to secure it?
    Last edited by ljcsov; 07-29-2011 at 21:58.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I just didn't want to end up getting heavier than those massive caribiners that the it came with.

I am not sure exactly how they work. My hammock has a cord that comes off it with a loop that was once where the caribiner was set. I took them off. Can i loop the strap through this loop and somehow use the ring to secure it?
    At 5:39 in this video
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch

well the tri glide is very light weight compared to the rings but not by much( two pieces of metal compared two one piece) Whoopies are reliable, light, and hassle free ( no knots to tie other than a marlin spike hitch at the webbing).

I use whoopies and have no problems. But they or made up of more than one piece of rope ( theres webbing and the whoopie sling) so theres no real "all in one" aspect to it. Even the "all in one" suspension at jacks r better uses dutch biners to run the whoopies over to the straps.

For an all in one strap suspension the rings or the tri glides are great options and really you can get both for very little money and you can see what you like. We can steer you one way but wheres the fun in it if you cant see the other way too. Best of luck and happy hanging!
    -JP
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This thread, and others like it, disturbs me. If you think that you can't get hurt falling from 18-20 inches, think again.

Cutting corners, and hanging on stuff that was never intended for life support, isn't smart. There are numerous safe suspension options that have stood the test of time...it's all here, mostly in stickied threads on this forum. I urge you to go with one of them.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    This thread, and others like it, disturbs me. If you think that you can't get hurt falling from 18-20 inches, think again.

Cutting corners, and hanging on stuff that was never intended for life support, isn't smart. There are numerous safe suspension options that have stood the test of time...it's all here, mostly in stickied threads on this forum. I urge you to go with one of them.
    Very true. If your foot end breaks, then maybe you hurt your rear a little but if your head end breaks you could end up with a concussion or worse. Check out this video where a guy does not choose the right suspension. Ouch!

Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    well the tri glide is very light weight compared to the rings but not by much( two pieces of metal compared two one piece) Whoopies are reliable, light, and hassle free ( no knots to tie other than a marlin spike hitch at the webbing).

I use whoopies and have no problems. But they or made up of more than one piece of rope ( theres webbing and the whoopie sling) so theres no real "all in one" aspect to it. Even the "all in one" suspension at jacks r better uses dutch biners to run the whoopies over to the straps.

For an all in one strap suspension the rings or the tri glides are great options and really you can get both for very little money and you can see what you like. We can steer you one way but wheres the fun in it if you cant see the other way too. Best of luck and happy hanging!
    -JP

I think what you got with the hammock were steel snap links. Correct me if I'm wrong. They weigh a lot and are weaker than full size climbing carabiners. They leave a lot of room for improvement.

If you watch the video posted look at the thickness of the triglides. That, and the material, are the keys. Most triglides are thin steel, aluminum, or plastic meant for keeping long webbing tails in place from a buckle. The one's used for hammock hangers are custom thick parts probably aluminum. That's why so many folks are warning you about the one's from strap works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast