DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Eurohike Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY sleepingbag UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Question Found a budget tarp - opinions?

Ok so I stumbled on a guy from Thailand making his own tarps and hammocks. He seems to just be getting started, from what I can tell. The description for his current tarp reads:

SUPER FLY TARP IN ASSORTED COLOURS.
    THIS HAS 2 SIDES ONE IN DPM CAMO AND THE OTHER IN SILVER (THIS DEFLECTS THE HEAT AND GIVES YOU PROTECTION IN ALL WEATHERS).

MATERIAL IS NYLON SIZE IS 2X3 METERS, WEIGHT IS APPROX 330 GRAMS AND PACKS UP SMALL. IT HAS 6 FIXING LOOPS, 3 PER SIDE.
    So along with general opinions...

1. Can I assume this is PU coated nylon?

2a. Is 2x3 meters sufficient cover?

2b. Can I use that comfortably on a diagonal?

3a. Does 330 grams seem rediculously lightweight for a tarp? (i may have this all wrong)

3b. Could the light weight indicate a lower quality product than I am anticipating? The price is lower than anything I've seen before, but I'm aware that the cost of materials is also far lower in that part of the world.

(I havn't listed the supplier since I'm not affiliated and a bit wary of being accused of soliciting on someone elses behalf.)

Thanks for any opinions on the matter!
    "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." ~ Douglas Adams

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    The silver for reflecting sounds neat, I've seen a custom made tarp like that and would love one for myself (for winter/survival)

2X3 meters seems geared towards UL campers who sleep on the ground, not hammock campers...I feel it's cutting it really close considering how long the better hammocks are.

The weight does seem suspect.

You gotta link so I can peep at this myself?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    You could use it in a diagonal for an asym setup. 2m x 3m is roughly 10ft x 6ft
    330g is is around 11 oz. sounds like it might be a silnylon. I would think PU coated would be heavier at that size. I have the Superfly... all one word. Wonder if that space in between their super and fly is intentional as to not infringe or even if it's an issue internationally IDK. Interesting to see two manufacturers would use the same name for the same type of product.
    Last edited by HamMike; 07-29-2011 at 08:31.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well, 330 grams is over a half pound. One problem would be if it shows up and really sucks, maybe hard to get satisfaction. And that size is pretty minimal, but would JUST cover a hammock. I guess I should weigh my DIY tarp.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    That tarp is 6.4 ft X 9.6 Ft.

330g is 11 ounces so yes, it does sound like silnylon.

I am also willing to bet that the silnylon we receive in America is most likely made in that part of the world As most everything is.

IDK, I am always skeptical when I buy something online, but only once have I been disappointed with what I got, and it was a music CD, Mustard Plug to anyone who cared lol. So I guess I should have known. At least it was just a CD and not some big ticket item.

I too would like a link so I can peep at it myself. I would say try it out. If its cheap enough it may be worth it to take the chance. If its not what you suspected or hoped it would be you have spare material to make something else. Maybe a gear hammock, or some silnylon snakeskins, or a bishop bag, or a....
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I would hold out for that vendor to come out with his 3mx3m and 4mx4m tarps that he claims he is in the works with...

A simple google up of the provided information should help you "find" this vendor...

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Eurohike Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY sleepingbag UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I too would like a link so I can peep at it myself. I would say try it out. If its cheap enough it may be worth it to take the chance. If its not what you suspected or hoped it would be you have spare material to make something else. Maybe a gear hammock, or some silnylon snakeskins, or a bishop bag, or a....
    Yes I believe you are right. I popped an order in for a 3x2 in olive. I'll take some pictures when it arrives, after the field test. If the pictures are of snakeskins, then I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

edit: Here's the link, if it's a problem it can be removed. (new to the forum, still getting used to the etiquette)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sakimhammocks
    "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." ~ Douglas Adams

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmmm quite interesting, will be nice if they start marking them larger

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    That tarp is 6.4 ft X 9.6 Ft.

330g is 11 ounces so yes, it does sound like silnylon.
    After a bit of google fu searching, I believe I found the listing to these tarps.

Since it is list as DPM camo on one side and silver on the other, I would doubt that it is silnylon. The only silnylon camo fabric I'm aware of is what is being offered by Warbonnet Outdoors in their new tarps. Also given the price I would be inclined to think it is one of those woven polyethylene tarps that are available at every hardware store.

If you do decide to get one, be sure to do a review and post pictures of it.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I contacted the seller, and this was the best I could get out of him:
    Attached Images Attached Images