WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Bob prefers to drop you off in a way that you hike to him or your car, "Pick me up at xyz at around 6:00 PM" is either too vague or hard for the hiker to actually do. So as Hooch suggests, hike from Carvers gap to Dennis cove. The parking lot is only 1/2 mile from Kincora so you can get a shower before driving home. I'm 90% sure that Bob will shuttle dogs.

FYI: the falls of Mountaineer falls was moved (8'?) so that hikers can get a shower.

Have a good hike!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps

One more fall

Krissa
    If you go about a mile farther past Dennis Cove there is another nice waterfall. Laurel Forks fall. Its about 60 ft tall and about 80 ft across.

Best wishes: Lump

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images
    The waterfall that Lump, my hubby, mentioned it quite impressive. Here's a photo of it here

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=14935&c=10

Sluggie

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Thanks again for all the info, hubby is giving Bob a call this week to get the details ironed out. I'm so excited!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    Thanks again for all the info, hubby is giving Bob a call this week to get the details ironed out. I'm so excited!
    Awesome! You're gonna love that section! As Lump and Sluggie mentioned, a quick side trip down to Laurel Fork Falls is definitely worth it for a break without the packs on after you get down to Dennis Cove Road.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Mountaineer Falls? Interesting because I've been to that fall at least 200 times and I've (and the locals) have always called it Laurel Fork Falls. This time of year with the heat we've been experiencing it is THE swimming hole-far enough away BillyJoBob and Cooter have trouble getting the beer cans in. You can swim against the current and sit on natural rock seats and have the water bask your shoulders....you might see a snake swimming but 99% that it's only a banded brown and not to worry.
    I missed where you will actually start? Carvers Gap? You are in for a treeeeeeet! When I was on Katahdin I asked several thru's finishing to name 5 mountains they all remembered and the Roan was on everyone's list. Keep you fingers crossed for seeing the steer and goats and you might even meet a goat herder-I did last fall on a training hike. At my house so far the high has been 79.2 and I'm at 4000, so at Carvers you'll be even cooler-plan accordingly for that part at night.....after you do the big drop to 19E the temps will be a whole nother world and those falls will be milestones you will want to enjoy and use as heat sinks.
    Surely between Bob or Mountain Harbor someone will shuttle dogs. I'd offer and have shuttle many since it is my backyard but for the next 6 weeks I'm committed.
    Good luck and enjoy your hike.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Talked to Bob today and he takes dogs so we are all set. We are very excited as this will be our first long trip with hammocks! I'll post pics when we get back.

Thanks everyone for the help in planning.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Just got back from the trip and made a post in Trip reports.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images

Roan Mountain

Heading up this weekend with my son and a ground dweller (stick man) for this exact hike. Has anyone been to Roan Mountain who can verify current water sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Both falls are great places to take a lunch break, cool off and just take it easy for a bit. Although there are no established campsites at Jones Falls, it would be a great place to hang for the night. There are campsites and a shelter (no privy) in close proximity to Moutaineer Falls. I hope y'all have a wonderful hike and make sure you post a trip report with pics so I can relive it.
    I know this is an old thread but I am considering a overnighter in this section. When you mention hanging at Jones Falls are you referring to at the top of the falls or the bottom?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12