Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    great , and i thought i was done changing gear for a while!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ok Rip... enough kidding around. Just what did ZQ do to your hammock? Was that a shot of the bug net bunched up in the foot end?

Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!!!

Details, man, the details.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Actually,

I was wondering if you guys know if the design was the same as the DD Hammock? I watched some reviews of them and saw that the bug netting on the SB appears to be the same, even down to having loops to put a stick in to spread the netting...
    I use the SB and won a DD. The DD is like a mini SB with subtle differences-but might be heavier in spite of it's smaller size. IHNS (I have no scale).

m
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

alright- but i don't

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Ok Rip... enough kidding around. Just what did ZQ do to your hammock? Was that a shot of the bug net bunched up in the foot end?

Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!!!

Details, man, the details.
    ok ok. but i still don't have it back....

ZQ hooked up the switchback with what is essentially a Mod 4- i'm
    calling it the "convertible" for lack of a witty name.

yes, that is a peak bag at the "foot end" holding all the netting.

she added some reinforcement fabric and velcro to secure the netting at the "head end" when the bugs are a threat and you need to zip up.

i believe she also added a 3rd zipper on both sides.

now.. i know what you're thinking, "JUST FLIP THE HAMMOCK OVER AND YOU'RE TOPLESS". well, yes, i agree. however... for some reason i just don't like laying 'on' the bugnetting. there's gotta be some stress on it. so it seemed only natural to try to figure this out with ZQ.

i've also heard about people trying to install a srl. now, of course we've learned the hmmk doesn't need one. nonetheless, i've read of people burning holes in the netting to run one anyways. this mod allows the addition of a srl, but only when the netting is tucked away and the hammock is in 'convertible' mode, i think. (those orange channel loops aren't designed for the tension, per darby)
    so, we'll see how the ridgeline thing goes.

aside from that... well, that's about it. it will make, for me, those hiking break rests along the trail that much easier with no bugnetting to roll up. and i'll have the peace of mind of not having to gingerly get in the hmmk so to not stress the 'flipped-over' bug net. there's also something pure about not having the rolled bundle of net to deal with, be it for views or principle of task.

maybe ZQ can explain the details of her work?--- and we are still thinking about cost for those interested. again.. this is the first one, so there may be changes, and that's what HF is for----innovation.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    ok ok. but i still don't have it back....

ZQ hooked up the switchback with what is essentially a Mod 4- i'm
    calling it the "convertible" for lack of a witty name.

yes, that is a peak bag at the "foot end" holding all the netting.

she added some reinforcement fabric and velcro to secure the netting at the "head end" when the bugs are a threat and you need to zip up.

i believe she also added a 3rd zipper on both sides.

now.. i know what you're thinking, "JUST FLIP THE HAMMOCK OVER AND YOU'RE TOPLESS". well, yes, i agree. however... for some reason i just don't like laying 'on' the bugnetting. there's gotta be some stress on it. so it seemed only natural to try to figure this out with ZQ.

i've also heard about people trying to install a srl. now, of course we've learned the hmmk doesn't need one. nonetheless, i've read of people burning holes in the netting to run one anyways. this mod allows the addition of a srl, but only when the netting is tucked away and the hammock is in 'convertible' mode, i think. (those orange channel loops aren't designed for the tension, per darby)

aside from that... well, that's about it. it will make, for me, those hiking break rests along the trail that much easier with no bugnetting to roll up. and i'll have the peace of mind of not having to gingerly get in the hmmk so to not stress the 'flipped-over' bug net. there's also something pure about not having the rolled bundle of net to deal with, be it for views or principle of task.

maybe ZQ can explain the details of her work?--- and we are still thinking about cost for those interested. again.. this is the first one, so there may be changes, and that's what HF is for----innovation.
    I think that's really thinking out of the box Rip and I love your idea to tuck the net away when not needed. Now I just have to figure out when I can be without my SB to get the RW(HH Mod-4) mod done to mine.

DD v. SB

Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    I use the SB and won a DD. The DD is like a mini SB with subtle differences-but might be heavier in spite of it's smaller size. IHNS (I have no scale).

m
    Millarky beat me to it, but the DD is very similar to the SB. I don't have the DD, so no first hand knowledge, but I was looking at them quite a bit. I went with an SB 1.9 SL , which should be here in a week or so (can't wait!).

The DD Frontline caught my eye because the body is very similar in design and the net s virtually the same in design--double zip, tie outs, spreader design, etc. The DD is much, much smaller, though, in length--by well over a foot. The DD is wider, but just by a couple of inches. The suspension on the DD is different, similar to a Claytor, I believe; whereas the SB offers the option of rings/buckles or whoopies. DD Frontline (and Traveller) is a good price and has nice reviews. I wanted a bigger hammock and I just couldn't resist the SB after having tried one out. I kept finding trying to find a hammock I liked more than the SB and just couldn't do it. I hope I've found my new shelter.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Millarky beat me to it, but the DD is very similar to the SB. I don't have the DD, so no first hand knowledge, but I was looking at them quite a bit. I went with an SB 1.9 SL , which should be here in a week or so (can't wait!).

The DD Frontline caught my eye because the body is very similar in design and the net s virtually the same in design--double zip, tie outs, spreader design, etc. The DD is much, much smaller, though, in length--by well over a foot. The DD is wider, but just by a couple of inches. The suspension on the DD is different, similar to a Claytor, I believe; whereas the SB offers the option of rings/buckles or whoopies. DD Frontline (and Traveller) is a good price and has nice reviews. I wanted a bigger hammock and I just couldn't resist the SB after having tried one out. I kept finding trying to find a hammock I liked more than the SB and just couldn't do it. I hope I've found my new shelter.

SoCal Mike
    i don't think the SB will let you down!

the DD was heavier, and the "waterproof" body turned me off. otherwise, it looked like a great option to me.

the long switchback, and perfect width make it a great hammock.

i like that tttg is offering suspension choice. 1.9 SL is awesome.

enjoy.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I guess I'll contact ZQ about my light hiker. Thanks Rip! Great idea.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Thumbs up

Thumbs up for your review, and i agree on all counts. There may be a 2nd SB in my future.

One note: At 5' 10 and 230, I do get a lot of stretch in the SL 1.9. Therefore it has became Kristen's hammock and she loves it. My next one will probably be a DL.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I'm no switch back expert. In fact I have one ordered and patiently waiting for it to arrive. You state the end channel loops aren't designed for STR. What if you used an adjustable Whoopie sling with 2 s binners on the ends and attach them to the suspension.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast