Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest Z-Lite

Clark NX-150 vs TX-150

I've been planning on getting a Clark for some time now (which of course means saving up) and noticed that they've released a tropical version with the spreader polls. Initially I was sold on the NX model but as it's generally easier to add insulation rather than remove it I'm looking into the TX version as well. Since the TX bed is flat, or at least devoid of pockets under the torso, I'm guessing it would take a 1/2 or 2/3 underquilt well or even just an additional nylon layer to act as a wind barrier similar to how the NX pockets would work. (Oh dear I was trying to escape DIY projects by getting a Clark in the first place...)

I will be out when night temperatures are in the high 70s to mid 20s fahrenheit and was hoping for any advice from current owners. I'd also really appreciate comments from you guys that have both models about what you like and use with each.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I have the TX and a 54 inch 3/4 underquilt. The quilt fills the gap bt the pockets perfectly like having a full uq for the weight penalty of a 3/4. Plus you can still. Use the pockets

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I've never been a fan of loaded cargo pockets on pants, and wouldn't want to mix dirty boots with clean pads, but I'm determined to make the pockets on an NX work for me for additional warmth when it is really cold.

That said, I also sleep in a Tropical, with the same bed layout as a TX. Some of the deepest sleep I've had has been in it with a 2/3 underquilt I fit very easily under it when temps unexpectedly dropped. As itsjust..... says, it is very nice to have complete access to the pockets.

Dunno if you have come across tinalouise's night-to-night comparison of the effect of the NX under-body pockets when temps were somewhat above quilt-needing levels. She thought there was a difference. I agree with her. If all of your time were at temps around the critical comfort level, the NX would make sense just for that 5-15 degree (making numbers up) benefit that is so easy to achieve. In those situations, you would never know whether the UQ would be called for with a TX, but you'd always be packing it. If you are pretty sure you'll often be above and often below the critical zone, the TX is cleaner, lighter, and takes the UQ very nicely.

Clark includes four tie out loops on both (all?) product lines that can help snug an UQ.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest Z-Lite
    Thank you both for posting! You covered the reasons I'm thinking the TX or Tropical version would be better (using the pockets and good underquilt fit and also the drop down hood sounds nice!). Since you both use underquilts which ones would you suggest?

DemostiX- thanks for reminding me about tinalouise's posts she really does do a good job describing her set up for different temps and the difference between having the pockets. There's almost too much information here!

Happy hanging!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Yeah, Tinalouise is classy. You know whether her experience relates to what may happen to and matters to you.

There's another thread conveniently running on UQs in the same forum. Most everybody loves what they have, of course, and they should. My guess is that the small makers have solved problems from experience and with techniques of the mature sleeping bag industry in stopping drafts. My own limited experience with just one AHE UQ, filled with hi zoot synthetic, meets my needs so far, and it doesn't face, as a 2/3, the problem of stopping ridges and furrows from allowing drafts.

Who knows, maybe heat and air flow analysis would show that longer UQs are not only warmer, as they must be, but that by giving control over venting, they are superior in controlling heat and humidity to abbreviated ones, offering a radiating and evaporative surface.

Anyway, quality down is terrific for compaction and low-weight. Longer down UQs no doubt have superior drape for use off the hammock, which a shorty, especially a synthetic shorty, comes up a little short on. I was phobic about water and dirt underneath, so went synthetic.

Note the word "phobic"; refers to feelings, not rational estimation of costs and benefits or rationality.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I've got an AHE flamethrower that I like and I would also look at the hammock gear phenix

• + New Posts