Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

MacCat -vs- Speer Winter Tarp

Ok, folks. I've finally gotten a little fundage saved up and am thinking seriously about buying a larger tarp to replace my ENO DryFly. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the MacCat Deluxe -vs- Speer Winter Tarp. For those of you who own one (or both), what is your opinion/suggestion? I like both tarps for various reason, but am leaning more toward the SWT for it's extended coverage and closeable ends. Even in warmer weather, it can just be pitched higher on sides to allow plenty of air flow. Is the SWT really a win-win?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    yo Hooch--
    I've got a MacCat Deluxe and a JRB winter tarp, although it got turned into a quonset hut. But still, before that, it is essentially the same size as the Speer.

So it all just depends. Out on the trail, in 2.5 seasons, what's the real risk of rain getting blown in at the ends? If you're doing weekend gigs, probably not a lot because you can choose to punt if it looks like the weekend will be spend huddled under a tarp. But the other 1.5 seasons...that's another matter. Wind, rain...count on it.

Going for the winter tarp will give you some functionality you don't have now, and the weight increase from the MacCat Deluxe is tolerable. Those tarps are really nice and roomy. But if you do most of your camping in those 2.5 seasons, is that weight you want to carry around.

alright I'm no help, I'll shut up. If I was getting one and only one of them I'd go for the winter tarp. I seem to always pick the heavier choice.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yo Hooch--
    I've got a MacCat Deluxe and a JRB winter tarp, although it got turned into a quonset hut. But still, before that, it is essentially the same size as the Speer.

So it all just depends. Out on the trail, in 2.5 seasons, what's the real risk of rain getting blown in at the ends? If you're doing weekend gigs, probably not a lot because you can choose to punt if it looks like the weekend will be spend huddled under a tarp. But the other 1.5 seasons...that's another matter. Wind, rain...count on it.

Going for the winter tarp will give you some functionality you don't have now, and the weight increase from the MacCat Deluxe is tolerable. Those tarps are really nice and roomy. But if you do most of your camping in those 2.5 seasons, is that weight you want to carry around.

alright I'm no help, I'll shut up. If I was getting one and only one of them I'd go for the winter tarp. I seem to always pick the heavier choice.

Grizz
    Grizz, thanks. I appreciate your......um....insight (?). Seriously, the ENO DryFly is 22 and offers marginal coverage at best. Either way I go, I'm getting a lighter tarp with better coverage. Both are about the same price, within just a few bucks each other and in my price range at that. I just have to figure out which one to get for sure. I'm really leaning toward the Speer, but want to hear from others to see which they think is the better buy.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    I have been trying to decide between the two myself, so I am interested to see everyone's input.

Hooch - Grizzly managed to put math into that answer, too! I got out my calculator and figured it out. 2.5 seasons and 1.5 seasons =1 year!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    I have been trying to decide between the two myself, so I am interested to see everyone's input.

Hooch - Grizzly managed to put math into that answer, too! I got out my calculator and figured it out. 2.5 seasons and 1.5 seasons =1 year!
    Shhhhhh........please don't disturb the mathletes at this hour. It's just not cool. Seriously, I'm really leaning toward a SWT. I figure I can't go wrong with it, especially when the weather turns crappy.

Lost, you heard from Zak lately? Looks like his last TJ entry was 3/10.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

except of course in leap years, in which case you have 2.5 seasons plus
    1.50027332404 seasons. But who's counting?

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    except of course in leap years, in which case you have 2.5 seasons plus
    1.50027332404 seasons. But who's counting?

Grizz
    See....I told you not to get the mathletes started!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Ok, folks. I've finally gotten a little fundage saved up and am thinking seriously about buying a larger tarp to replace my ENO DryFly. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the MacCat Deluxe -vs- Speer Winter Tarp. For those of you who own one (or both), what is your opinion/suggestion? I like both tarps for various reason, but am leaning more toward the SWT for it's extended coverage and closeable ends. Even in warmer weather, it can just be pitched higher on sides to allow plenty of air flow. Is the SWT really a win-win?
    I have the MacCat and really like it. I do mostly weekend camping with the scouts. For 98% (I'm not a mathlete, just a lowly engineer) of the outings, it is the perfect tarp. A couple of times in colder weather, I could have used the ability to block off an end. I've improvised and brought an extra tarp to set up as a wind screen. Not the same, but effective none the less.

I guess it comes down to how you camp, how you want to deal with the extraneous issues and what you can put up with. Bottom line, go with what fits your style and makes you happy.
    Last edited by txulrich; 03-21-2008 at 09:07. Reason: typo
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Heard from Zak last weekend, he and Cannibal were both in Franklin. Should make Fontana this weekend. BIG change from Fontana in10 days last year! But he decided to take his time and enjoy himself. He's made a couple of unplanned stops just to check out places he's heard about from others.

Back to tarps - I'm leaning more toward the SWT, but for an entirely different reason. I want some privacy when I change clothes! It's a little different for the females out there!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Back to tarps - I'm leaning more toward the SWT, but for an entirely different reason. I want some privacy when I change clothes! It's a little different for the females out there!
    That fits with the philosophy of my previous post
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast