Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    "I did it, it's over and I feel fine." - Foo Fighters

I just ordered my Speer Winter Tarp, which I intend to dub the Speer All Season Tarp. Gotta love Ed, great guy, great businessman, and all around nice fella. A pleasure to do business with. Thanks to Youngblood for designing this ingenious piece of gear, it'll be a pleasure to own. I'll be using my SWT next weekend at RRG on a shakedown with a friend from WhiteBlaze who starts her thru next month. Can't wait to hang under this thing! Yay! Where's that darn dancing banana when you need him?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Where's that darn dancing banana when you need him?
    It's thankfully not on this forum.

I'd just like to say that I really appreciate the minimalist emoticons that this forum offers. When available, having a wide variety of emoticons available leads to their habitual overuse, whereupon the whole forum takes on an air of cheap plastic-like decoration, not unlike a crappy pet store aquarium.

Less is more.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Dancing banana or no, I'm glad to have my SWT on the way!

Images
    Jay,

Do you know how to put shock cord on the side pullouts and guylines? Those help a lot with silnylon tarps, especially large ones.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Jay,

Do you know how to put shock cord on the side pullouts and guylines? Those help a lot with silnylon tarps, especially large ones.
    I posted instructions on how I use the shock cord to make self tensioning guy lines. I would be interested if you have a different method YB.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I posted instructions on how I use the shock cord to make self tensioning guy lines. I would be interested if you have a different method YB.
    I do it a little different. I posted how on the Yahoo hammock camping forum in the files section. There are two MsWord documents in the Files section under Youngblood's Stuff, Self Tensioning Guyline 12072007.doc and Two Loop Method of Tying a Clove Hitch Knot- 12072007.doc .

There are a lot of ways to do it. I wanted to get the shockcord as close to the tarp as I could since the WinterTarp is a large tarp that can be pitched close to the ground. In the past, I haven't worried too much about that with 8 foot wide tarps and even used larger pieces of shockcord to be able to take up more slack. I looked at those tradeoffs a little different with the larger tarp that I wanted to get close to the ground.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a really cool method. Makes sense to keep the shock cord close to the tarp like that.

The clove hitch holds to the shock cord without having to put some sort of stopper knot on the end of the shock cord to keep the clove hitch from slipping off?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The clove hitch holds to the shock cord without having to put some sort of stopper knot on the end of the shock cord to keep the clove hitch from slipping off?
    The 1/16" Yale Pulse Line bites in pretty well once you set the knot. I don't think it will slip, I worry more about it cutting through the shock cord. I have used it on some 1/8" cord with good results as well, but I can't find that line anymore.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I was using some kind of a sliding wrap knot and Just Jeff adapted it to the clove hitch. When he showed it to me a few years back at one of the Hot Springs hangs, I switched because it worked a lot better than what I was using.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've been using youngblood's method w/ the shock cords for tensioning my tarps since last year. works great.

he also showed me how he forms a clove hitch (in the air) & inserts the stake & pulls it tight.
    you can quickly put the stake anywhere on the guy line you want.
    and when you slide the stake out of the clove hitch, it cleans the dirt from the stake & the clove hitch falls away!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    he also showed me how he forms a clove hitch (in the air) & inserts the stake & pulls it tight.
    you can quickly put the stake anywhere on the guy line you want.
    and when you slide the stake out of the clove hitch, it cleans the dirt from the stake & the clove hitch falls away!
    I got that from Ray Jardine's book, but you need stakes with smooth round shafts for that to work.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast