Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images

Noob Trying To Set-up First Hammock

Hello, I'm new to the site and have spent the last few days reading through ALOT of threads and gathering info...I have a few questions though...

About a month ago I decided to get a hammock for a weekend solo camping trip...I ended up purchasing the following items...

ENO Double Nest Hammock

ENO Pro Strap

ENO Guardian Bug-Net

When it came time to go for the weekend my oldest son (9yrs) decided he wanted to tag along too...Instead of taking our tent I decided that I would still take the hammock and a cheap blue tarp...We set everything up and only had a few issues...My biggest issue was getting the hammock hung in a position where we didn't slide down to one end...I must note that we didn't use the bug-net for the simple fact I kept trying to get the hammock to hang correct and never remembered having the bug-net...LOL ...I must say that I had the best night of sleep while camping in a very long time...My son even liked it...

Once we made it back home and was telling my wife and youngest (8yrs) they became interested in trying a hammock...So, I ended up ordering another set of the items listed above...

We are planning on a 3 day trip in 2 weeks and I would like to figure out a better (the proper) way to hang these...I have searched and I'm wondering if I can do this SLS Set-up with this particular hammock?...Also, where can I get the Amsteel Blue (gray) rope and what size should I get?...

For right now we are planning on using a standard blue 10x12 tarp...I'm looking into a OES 4 Season tarp...I have been researching threads for proper ways to hang the tarps too...Lots of GREAT information here...

Thank you for any information that you have to offer...

Todd

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    From what I hear, people swap out their eno straps all the time, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't know much about the single line suspension, but I do know that the common amsteel size is 7/64ths, and a lot of people order from Redden Marine (I think they even offer a discount for Hammock Forum members ).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Sorry. Forgot to mention that hanging your foot end higher than your head end will keep you from sliding into the middle of your hammock. My first time out I kept hanging my head end higher and higher to combat the sliding, not knowing that I was making things worse (by the time I hit 45 degrees I realized "Wait a minute! I've just built a slide."

This, of course, was before I discovered the forum
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i just bought the ENO DoubleNest with the ENO Slap Straps Pro as well. after hanging it a couple times and sagging about 1-1/5 to 2 feet once entering the hammock i have decided to take the slap straps back. im thinking whoopies and toggles, everybody that uses them seems to like them and they look pretty simple to set up.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Speer/thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have a eno DN and love it but I did get rid of the slap straps and got a set of whoopie slings was not a problem changing and works alot better than the slap straps. also have a eno bugnet never use it I take a therma-cell and it works great

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    7/64 amsteel is the most used size around here. Paul at AHE carries it.
    I like whoopie slings and webbing for suspension. You can make them or buy them from one of the many vendors in the Manufacturers and Services forums.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    I just swapped out my WBBB suspension as well as my ENO suspension for whoopies and toggles.

If you have a West Marine near by check them out. They carry both 1/8 and 7/64 amsteel.

I really enjoyed making the whoopies as well as sewing the straps for the toggles. I found some aluminum at Lowes and made some very light weight toggles.

I think they are better than butter.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    From what I hear, people swap out their eno straps all the time, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't know much about the single line suspension, but I do know that the common amsteel size is 7/64ths, and a lot of people order from Redden Marine (I think they even offer a discount for Hammock Forum members ).
    +1

I also hear that the eno straps are not very good. I have the ENO Double as well, but I used my DIY straps made from climbing webbing I got at REI. I used the nylon thread and is very strong. I have used my DIY straps since day one... no scratch that. I did use the straps from my HH when I first started hanging, but there were too short and I didnt like the design so I made my own.

have fun on your trip and please give us a trip report with pics.

• + New Posts