WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    50* Phoenix 40* SB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Alright gang. Friday is confirmed as a day off for me at work, so I'm heading down a day early. Any Ohio/ Wheeling area guys want to carpool? I can bring my Freestyle...it seats 6, and we could meet somewhere around the intersection of I-70/ I-77. I'm coming from Canton.

Looking forward to another group hang, and yet another Dolly Sods trip!
    Mike
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    6 days and a wake-up until the early birds head to the Sods.
    Don't forget you can check the weather here:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWV0189

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Check the weather frequently, right up to departure. The forecast has changed dramatically twice in the past week. Here is the current water data for the South Branch of the Potomoc about 12 miles East of Dolly Sods. We're concerned with the water in Red Creek, not the Potomoc, but trails crossing Red Creek are sometimes not passable in high water. I may drive in from the Southwest just so I can take a look at Red Creek. The waterfalls should be pretty spectacular.

Hammock
    TTTG Switchback 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    Custom MacCat Dlx
    Suspension
    Whoopies Dutch Hk
    The river gauge for the Dry Fork at Hendricks is a better indicator since Red Creek flows into Dry Fork.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    50* Phoenix 40* SB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, it looks like Friday night's hang spot will be at or near "the island", where the Blackbird Knob trail crosses the right fork of Red Creek (just downhill from the junction of Upper Red Creek and the BBK trail)? I just hung there last time, about 100 yards downstream from the trail crossing. Lots of good sites, and if its warm enough, the junction of Alder Run and Red Creek has a huge swimming hole.

Saturday Night will be in the general vicinity of "the forks"? Or a little further downstream?
    Mike
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Add two more to the list...my oldest daughter and I will be there. Can't wait.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdeal View Post
    The river gauge for the Dry Fork at Hendricks is a better indicator since Red Creek flows into Dry Fork.
    Thanks, Vdeal. I don't recall the crossing on the Red Creek Trail between Fisher Spring Run Trail and Rocky Point Trail as being too difficult but I may not have seen it when the water was really high. What do you think?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, it looks like Friday night's hang spot will be at or near "the island", where the Blackbird Knob trail crosses the right fork of Red Creek (just downhill from the junction of Upper Red Creek and the BBK trail)? I just hung there last time, about 100 yards downstream from the trail crossing. Lots of good sites, and if its warm enough, the junction of Alder Run and Red Creek has a huge swimming hole.

Saturday Night will be in the general vicinity of "the forks"? Or a little further downstream?
    I think you're right about Saturday, but I'm thinking Friday's suggested site was near where the Blackbird Knob Trail crosses the Left Fork of Red Creek. Happy Camper, can you confirm? USMCStang, the site you mention sounds good, too. If it turns out that we have a lot of HF members in the area, it would make sense to spread out some. The right fork site also might be an option for people arriving late on Friday.

Hammock
    TTTG Switchback 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    Custom MacCat Dlx
    Suspension
    Whoopies Dutch Hk
    WV,

I just checked the Dry Fork gauge. The water is coming down fairly quickly but it's still high. By this weekend, if we don't get any more rain, things should be okay. The Red Creek crossing (which is the only one of Red Creek proper on the Red Creek trail) can be a bit tough but nothing too bad usually. The one caveat is that there is scattered rain forecast this week. Just watch the gauges.

If the water is really up I wouldn't attempt it. The only other options if you're starting at the Laneville cabin is to either go up Fischer Spring Run trail or to use the High Water Route from the bridge over Red Creek and then catch Little Stonecoal Trail.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well last post I jinxed myself real good... AND... I just got reassigned to a new project at work which involves travel, so I will not be able to attend after all as I will be travelling. It figures. But SOMETIME I'm going to be able to make it up there.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs