WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    One year and 3 weeks since my last post to this thread! When I posted the first time I was fairly new to the hammock and hanging in my first DIY. Since then I've made 3 others and I'm now sleeping every night in that same original. The only structural change has been to add Redoleary's mini-spreader to both my nightly hammock and to the hiker recently. Which you will need to try to see the difference in the comfort of your hammock.

As far as a 'flat' lay in a hammock. Fact is you will never lay flat in a hammock.We're sleeping on a piece of fabric and the human body mass is around your belly button even on a sheet of plywood you wouldn't be flat, your posterior is going to be at the lowest point. My goal is a 'comfortable' lay. When I hit the hammock at night I do a little reading on my back, on a diagonal, feet and head slightly elevated. When waking for those night calls I may be on my back or half side. Never have been able to get fully on my side or stomach, maybe because I just don't bend that way. I can understand those who just can't make the transistion to a hammock, my wife can't.

It could be my that my hammocks are DIY's but I can't imagine any hammock being a perfect fit for everyone. I believe I tried every gather method and invented a couple myself before settling on one the mini-spreader. Calls to mind the saying " If at first you don't succeed... so if it doesn't work the way it was bought or made keep experimenting. One night you will hit the hammock and wake up late the next morning wondering what just happened.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rict View Post
    I recently ordered a REALLY LARGE tablecloth, hoping I can try creating a whipped end hammock, sleeping totally across the hammock for a more flat position. I haven't tried bridge hammocks just because of the expense.

rict
    I recently made myself a bridge hammock---mostly out of parts 'n pieces I had laying around. (Leftovers from other projects... ) I figure that if I would have bought all the material new, the hammock would have cost me about $25!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    As far as a 'flat' lay in a hammock. Fact is you will never lay flat in a hammock.We're sleeping on a piece of fabric and the human body mass is around your belly button even on a sheet of plywood you wouldn't be flat, your posterior is going to be at the lowest point. My goal is a 'comfortable' lay.
    Lord knows I have considerable mass "around the belly button" and I certainly ain't flat nowhere.

I agree totally olddog that the goal is a comfortable lay. Whatever works to achieve this goal is "the right way" for each person.

I prefer a 58" to 60" wide hammock, about 120" long with very little or no springyness in the hammock bed. This often means using heavier fabrics and/or double layers, but it's what works for me. I often find the comfortable spot to be lying "just slightly asym" with my legs higher than my torso.

Flat, schmlat, the Navy couldn't ever be wrong, could it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    cool pic ghpacific!

Billybob - I guess I lay with my waist bent so my body is in a "L" shape?

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Banana vs. Soda Can

I find it helps me to visualize the basics shapes.

The shape of a gathered end hammock can be visualized as a banana. As you lie in it, your back and legs will be rounded. The "calf pressure" issue arises from the fact that our knees don't bend in that direction. But proper set-up along with placing something under your knees and/or lying at a slight angle with respect to the suspension axis helps alleviate that problem.

The shape of a bridge hammock can be visualized as a soda can on its side. As you lie in it, your shoulders will roll forward slightly. The "shoulder squeeze" issue arises from the fact that our shoulders only roll forward so much. But a pad in the hammock sleeve and/or lying on your side slightly helps alleviate that problem.

The new WB RR uses a wider spreader bar at one end to increase the diameter at the shoulders which i think will make it more comfortable for a wider range of people than the JRB BMBH.
    Love my JRB BMB

Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    I recently made myself a bridge hammock---mostly out of parts 'n pieces I had laying around. (Leftovers from other projects... ) I figure that if I would have bought all the material new, the hammock would have cost me about $25!
    If there was a "no sewing" bridge hammock plan, I might try making one myself; but having no sewing machine myself, and not knowing anyone with a sewing machine, it wouldn't be practical for me to DIY.

I did just receive my tablecloth, and I'm hoping that I can have the time to whip the ends this weekend to try it out.

alacaledonia, interesting to finally hear that someone else can't sleep the entire night in a hammock; after reading all the posts that say sleeping in a hammock is the best nights' sleep they've ever had, I was sure I was the only exception to that!

rict

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rict View Post
    alacaledonia, interesting to finally hear that someone else can't sleep the entire night in a hammock; after reading all the posts that say sleeping in a hammock is the best nights' sleep they've ever had, I was sure I was the only exception to that!

rict
    I'm in that boat too, though I suspect a longer hammock would help. *looking at you, Warbonnet!*

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can not lay on my back on the floor or even a firm mattress and be comfortable. My issue is "bubble butt syndrome". My rear causes a very uncomfortable curve in my lower back. Sleeping on a curve removes the pressure on my lower spine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345