Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Definitely a nice quilt and the price really isn't too bad, considering the quality of GoLite products, the temperature rating and the weight. It's very comparable with the JRB and Speer quilts.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    They've been talking about it at length over on Practical Backpacking and list specs...plus, there is a podcast with Golite about this very quilt you might want to listen to...

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Nice !

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Looks like more of a topquilt to me
    Nice, Nice, Nice!

That's a better photo than the one I found!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Definitely a nice quilt and the price really isn't too bad, considering the quality of GoLite products, the temperature rating and the weight. It's very comparable with the JRB and Speer quilts.
    Hooch, et al,

Thank you.... Actually, JRB, now in our fifth year of quilt manufacture, takes Golite re-entry into quilts as validation of the quilt by mainstream....And you are right the JRB Hudson River Quilt has identical specs for power fill, loft and weight, at a few dollars less cost.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hooch, et al,

Thank you.... Actually, JRB, now in our fifth year of quilt manufacture, takes Golite re-entry into quilts as validation of the quilt by mainstream....And you are right the JRB Hudson River Quilt has identical specs for power fill, loft and weight, at a few dollars less cost.

Pan
    Pan, that's part of the reason that I've been trying to go to DIY or cottage maker gear. It's usually just as good or better than mainstream corporate manufactured gear at a few bucks cheaper. The cusomer service is usually spot on and you guys (cottage gear folks) take their customer's input much more seriously, acutally placing value on our opinion. Gotta respect that.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I think I should have read JRB' s website better...somehow I read that the Hudson was an under quilt and missed the fact that it could be used as a quilt proper...maybe I was also influenced by my old Golite Fur quilt...that quilt has the best shape...I think it was based on Ray Jardine's design...the shoulders are shaped with a dip where your head goes...it fits me beautifully...because of the way the shoulders are cut, which is not flat, the Fur is really warm and very cozy...flat top quilts are just not as warm...they don't fold as well around you...I always gave myself a hard time for not buying the warmer version of the Fur when Golite was still making them...I still wish quilts were made using Ray Jardine's pattern for the head and shoulders...I'm hoping the Ultra is a "shaped quilt" like my Fur...

If the Golite is not warm enough I'll return it and buy JRB Old Rag Mountain quilt...the friend who bought my Hennessy has 2 JRB quilts...one of which he uses as an underquilt and one as an over...he loves about JRB...another thing that probably influenced me was the listed rating on the Golite...there is none on JRB's quilts which shows a great deal of honesty on their part...although I know they are totally inaccurate I was still pulled toward the Golite because of it...I should have known better...gone with loft, fill, etc...

I firmly believe in supporting the smaller, nitch gear manufacturers like JRB...it is good to know that if the Ultra does not work out for me that there is another on the market that will...
    Last edited by mataharihiker; 03-24-2008 at 09:15.

Don't miss the RMS which is the ORM with a head hole. I think this is a GREAT feature and means you don't need to bring as much "in camp" insulation.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Actually the head hole is something I have no interest in and was a negative selling point for me...each to their own....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    Actually the head hole is something I have no interest in and was a negative selling point for me...each to their own....
    I was with you in believing I would never use it, until I won one with a head hole (raffle) and discovered how nice and warm it is to wear around camp in the early morning. To each their own though, you're right about that.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I was with you in believing I would never use it, until I won one with a head hole (raffle) and discovered how nice and warm it is to wear around camp in the early morning. To each their own though, you're right about that.
    I was concerned with having a head hole and getting a cold spot there. I didn't notice anything or any problem with it. If you think you might like it, it is worth a try. But then again, if you never use it you don't need it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12