Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc

I'd like to hang myself ... but well

Hello. Its a surprise that I find myself at this forum.

The synopsis is that a month ago I became RIF'd from my government job, so to look at the situation in a positive way I have an abundance of free time! Well; what would you do? I realize that there are responsible people out there. I'm not wanting to be one of them. Not anymore.

My first thought was to hike the appalachian trail, or at least some of it and I may do that as well but for the moment I have a plan to ride my bicycle ... somewhere....anywhere ... but for a long time ( two to four months ) So I got my bike, got my tent. Ooops. Right after buying that tent I saw an article about hammocking. Weird stuff, I thought. Who the heck and how the heck? You can't really go without a tent - right?

Two weeks later I went out a bought a Hennessy Expedition and since I had no place to tie it in my yard I tested it out that first night under my carport. It was fantastic! I would not have believed how my beat up 51 year old body felt great great in the morning compared to what a night in a tent would have done to me! Call me a convert.

Now I did find a few things that I would like to have improved and thus my first post here. My friend (who is going with me for the first two weeks) bought the expedition from me because I thought that I would like a longer hammock and because he loved the hammock as well. It was extremely hot here in North Carolina those two first nights I tried the hammock out and I found that the mosquito netting was a surprisingly strong breeze breaker. I would like to have the option of unzipping the netting in the next hammock and I also am not so keen on first impression about the bottom entry.

My question then is about opinions on the bottom entries ... am I going to find some sort of serious set backs with zippered side entry hammocks that I may not have thought about? Secondly, are there hammock designs or brands that are known for being cooler in extremely hot weather ... or is it just a fact of being under the no-see-um ... or perhaps is it in how you select a site and set the hammock out? I'm hoping to be set straight (straighter) on these points because I'm wide open to buying my next hammock whether it is a Henessy or something else but don't have the time to simply slowly sort through it all myself (which I know is best ) So which Hammock is best for ventilation?

Is the difference in feel sleeping in the different brands something that is mediately apparent and very large or is it something very subtle? Any guidance in how to wind up being cool in hot muggy weather will be greatly appreciated. I plan to buy another hammock as soon as I get just a bit less apprehension about being completely clueless. We plan to leave in early september so while now I'm eager to find a way not to bake - I guess the next step will be to find a way not to freeze. Oh well ... the learning seems to be fun - set me straight ... will ya!

Btw ... this forum seems to be great. There is a very helpful tone in the digital air here - much better than many forums in which I've had to watch combat in before. Keep it up.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the Hammock Forums!

HERE is a great place to start. After you finish with Shug's videos, poke around the "stickied" threads in "General Hammock Talk". There is lot of information on this site and many sources of answers to the questions you will have.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    First, welcome to the forums. You will definitely find a wealth of knowledge and the folks here are amazing ones.

I would like to refer you to 2QZQ who do specific zipper modifications for Hennessy Hammocks at a very reasonable price. Not to mention they are fantastic people and I only hear good things about their customer service. Here is a link: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/zipmods.html

Secondly...Hennessy does make a version of the expedition with a side zipper instead of the bottom entry. I have the bottom entry expedition and plan on getting it modified so I have options. I really like the bottom entry because I can escape from mosquitoes more efficiently and effectively. Here in Maine you can easily become swarmed with 20+ mosquitoes around you at any given time. So to have that bottom entry is a life saver. I purposely bought the bottom entry.

Your breeze situation is definitely due to the amazing breeze stopper ability of the no-see-um mesh. I have had the same experience the passed few days and weeks really as temperatures were well in the 90's and in some cases, the 100's. It was very hot in there. Luckily my pool was right next to me so I would just jump in then lay back in the hammock. But with the zipper modification you can take the zipper down and remove the "breeze barrier".

There are tricks on where to set up your hammock. For instance at the bottom of a ravine where cold air sinks and travels down ward. Or in areas where you know shadows will be around 12 - 3 PM when the sun is the hottest...or near a body of water or even over a body of water like some have done.

I have only owned a Hennessy hammock and this is my first season using it. So I can't comment any further on your questions outside the Hennessy. Good luck to you and happy hanging.

Beeps suggestion on Shug's videos is an excellent place to start. A plethora of knowledge right there - and entertainment. You'll see what I mean.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas!

Best wishes for safe travel on the bike tour as well.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    thank you everyone for the welcomes and thanks Deadphans for the link to 2QZQ. That changes things perhaps. I'm now inclined to get another HH with the same bottom entry but simply the larger size. Then I can have the best of both worlds until I figure out what suits me.

Let me ask though if there is any difference in the way one lies and comfort between having the bottom entry and not? Looking at some of their other options I was wondering what you all would think of the protector/vapor barrier option. Is it better to get the waterproof option or the one that breathes? I imagine that having waterproof Sylnilon underneath may have some disadvantages with a high humidity environment. I will have to contact 2QZQ to find if the protector/vapor barrier option is removable or permanent.

I wish there was a local store with the Blackbird Hammocks nearby here to Raleigh, NC so I could check them out in person but with these mods to the HH I am now leaning towards purchasing one of those models. The explorer ultralite seems to be at the top of my list all of a sudden - but I'm still looking for sage guidance while I've got time to be wishi-washi. In the cammo stuff - what is the GSA option all about?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums from Canada! You've come to the right place.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    if youre ever near charleston sc ill be happy to let you test drive the WBBB if you like, see how that suits your fancy and it does have mesh you could zip out of the way, no mods needed! just a thought!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow, after reading your topic heading and the first paragraph, I was relieved when I got to the 2nd paragraph.
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 08-04-2011 at 15:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast